Robins AFB info

Guest Magicrat

Let me just give a little "buyer beware" advice before choosing Macon ... there's a reason that not a whole lot of folks choose to live up there, even though it's relatively close. Macon is one of the most crime ridden cities in the entire nation and is certainly the worst in Georgia. The crime statistics regarding Macon are sobering: http://www.neighborh...ga/macon/crime/ . The most telling is that Macon has a crime index of 1, on a scale of 1-100 (100 being the safest). During my 4 year tenure, there were multiple macon nightclubs deemed off-limits by the local CC due to shootings/deaths/assaults/robberies etc...

Also, calling it a college town is a stretch. There are 2 very small colleges there, Macon State and Mercer, both of which have little to zero "campus life". Half the people attending these colleges already work on base or are in an internship program to get on base.

Visiting Macon on occasion can be great though, you have Lake Tobosofkee, the Cherry Blossom festival, Riverside Mall, and a few other hidden gems, however, living there was a risk I personally wouldnt take.

Doesn't look like our boy is gonna choose Macon anyway, but in Macon's defense, while the crime is terrible it's concentrated in a few bad areas. I lived in historic downtown and never had so much a stray dog pee on my lawn. I lived in WR for my first two years there in a nice suburb community just off of Russell Pkwy like everybody told me to and had my house robbed by meth addicts. I'd bought into the "Macon is too dangerous" stuff and gotten the place down there, but made a bunch of friends in Macon. After the robbery my wife and I said "eff it, if we're gonna get robbed anyway let's move somewhere we like," got a spot downtown and never looked back. I had amazing neighbors that all took care of each other; in WR I rarely got more then a grunting "hey" from the neighbors when I saw them. My downtown community in Macon was hands down the best neighborhood I've ever lived in.

I live in Byron. I have a boat and a jet ski and wanted to be halfway between the base and Lake Tobesofkee. I'm 20min from base and 20min from the lake, but keep in mind once you get on base regardless of the gate it is still a 10min drive to the flightline.

Doesn't look like our boy is gonna choose Macon anyway, but in Macon's defense, while the crime is terrible it's concentrated in a few bad areas. I lived in historic downtown and never had so much a stray dog pee on my lawn. I lived in WR for my first two years there in a nice suburb community just off of Russell Pkwy like everybody told me to and had my house robbed by meth addicts. I'd bought into the "Macon is too dangerous" stuff and gotten the place down there, but made a bunch of friends in Macon. After the robbery my wife and I said "eff it, if we're gonna get robbed anyway let's move somewhere we like," got a spot downtown and never looked back. I had amazing neighbors that all took care of each other; in WR I rarely got more then a grunting "hey" from the neighbors when I saw them. My downtown community in Macon was hands down the best neighborhood I've ever lived in.

I'll agree with you on that too, WR is really not a whole lot better than Macon. I had my car broken in to my first year (base housing), and another buddy of mine had EVERYTHING stolen from his apt off of Moody/Russell (the apts back by the lake). No joke he came home after work and everything was gone, empty apt. I never heard any horror stories about Bonaire/Kathleen/and southeast of base, which is why I was pushing those.

FLY6584, we were out on the lake 3-4 times a week wakeboarding. PM me if you want some good contacts as I know a good buddy that lives on the lake and has his own boat ramp ... he also has custom built jet-skis and would be a great guy to tie in to for anything Lake Tobo related. A lot of the dudes wakeboarding/boating with us were JSTARS guys too.

• 1 year later...

Bumping for any recent info, specifically, any opinions about living on base (excluding Huntington). I've already reviewed all the information on the website. I like the idea of avoiding most/all the traffic, having quick access to the base facilities (Commissary/BX, parks, school/youth center), and hopefully a more safe environment for my wife and son. Here's my questions:

How is the elementary school on base? Is there a strong community environment in the housing? Is the installation deserted on the weekends or is it moderately populated with events? Are the parks and swimming pools well maintained? Are there significant crime problems? How responsive is housing maintenance for repairs? Is the club any good or is it as terrible as the rest of the CONUS clubs? Is there a good bowling alley, movie theater, and library and are they in good condition or worn down?

Will my kid start saying things like "fiddy," "darlin,'" or "y'all"? Do I need to take anti-malarials? Will I need to buy common bartering goods like live chickens, dry beans, or clay jugs of "XXX Corn Whiskey" to exchange for things in the local community? How quickly will my dehumidifier need to be replaced due to overuse? Will Jesus Christ be in my chain of command? Does the weatherman base his forecast from his knee pain? Are subtitles required to understand local news broadcasts? Is evolution banned in school curriculum? Will I see events in person that are later in a "COPS" show? If it snows again, will half the population die?

For your last questions:

I did ask a chick in the weather shop if the overcast layer was going to break up soon and she said, "Hold on." She set the phone down, went outside, came back and said, "I don't know. It's pretty cloudy."

If there is more than 1/64" of snow, expect the town to come to a halt, buildings to catch fire, general looting and mad max anarchy.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 years later...