which transport/tanker would you pick

ucf_motorcycle

My package is in for this AD board and after doing some research on different aircraft I decided I would like to fly the transport/tanker aircraft. From what I have read my persoanl choices would be

1st C5

2nd C17

3rd KC10

Of course I would be happy to fly any air force aircraft. I was just wondering what other peoples choices might be in this area. And why.

Guest AirGuardian

Herc to be down and dirty pure tactical - or, you have the option of attack in the AFSOC world.

C5, great static display

KC10, the rating can't hurt a bit or the boom mic

C17, does both tac and strat... You can have the best of both worlds droning along in comfort like 10s and the 5, or slamming the terra with serious metal in way less than 3,000 feet... oh yeah, it's nice to have a stick responsive aircraft.

All depends on what you're after I guess. Any 135ers going to pipe in for their airframe...?

Guest C-21 Pilot

Cough...Cough...Cough

Sorry, I just woke up from my 5-Star Hotel in Marseille, France (ya' know, the one that hosts the French Riveria) where I was late getting to the free internet due to the 4 course Breakfast and a stroll on the beach and swimming in the Med.

If you want the option, the C-21 should be a consideration as well. Maybe not now, but down the road. Good plane, community, locations, and flying...although the stateside guys have it way too easy (from experience).

Looks like about 60% of us Lear guys with no follow-on's will be going to the STRAT side (er, C-17).

Yeah, but let's see ya assault on a dirt strip. Not a dirt strip with asphalt underneath.
Yeah, but try to shoot an autopilot coupled ILS in VMC after having lukewarm coffee and sleeping in VOQ.

Big Balls in Cowtown.

-Cheers

[ 19. December 2004, 01:53: Message edited by: C-21 Pilot ]

Guest deanrancourt

Here you go, 135 guy here. If you are Guard/Reserve and don't like tents, it's the best thing going. If you're Active Duty, mmmmm...I'd have to think long and hard about that one. If you like being gone all the time, C-17 is the way to go. If you like low-levels, C-130, if you have Louis Vitton luggage, KC-10 is the way to go (but I think they have about the same schedule as the -135 guys). Except MacDill, most stateside -135 bases suck. Just my $.02

I've seen more than a few people get C-21s right out of UPT here at CAFB. If you were going for C-21s (or any other airlifter/tanker, save the mighty Herc, of course, you would go the T-1 track)

(Disclaimer: This statement was made by a Casual Lt awaiting UPT. He knows that there are always exceptions to the norm, but this statement refers to the general status quo that I have observed in my QUITE-limited experience.)

If you consider 15 hours at a destination good trips, strat air is the way to go. If you want a tried and true (read old) airframe that will actually stay somewhere long enough for you to see the sights (even if the sights are four tan canvas walls with an air conditioning plenum on your roof), the mighty Stratotanker is for you.

If you want to get somewhere and break, go for a C-5, but there are not many coming out of UPT on the AD side anymore.

The three holer is damn sexy when we get to dump our remaining 60K into it and beat the gucci boys back to the bar.

Just kidding fellas...

IMHO, one of the best assignments out of UPT (KC-135 to Mildenhall) was picked up after the first few rounds in the draft in my class.

In all honesty, and this has been said over and over but I firmly believe it, whatever you get out of UPT is by far, the best aircraft in this man's Air Force, bar none. You'll have avitars by your screen name, you're e-mail address will have the number in it somehow, you'll buy the little pen pocket tab and you will let every other operator in the military know that without YOUR aircraft, there is no way any war will ever be won.

Along the lines of the C-21, there is the C-9.

(Read as DC-9-30).

Andrews has the C-9C & is not bringing anyone else in to fly it.

Reserves have the C-9A & just transitioned from Aeromedical Evacuation to DV transport. Are getting the C-9Cs from Andrews by the end of FY05.

***Getting the C-40 (Read as B-737) in FY07***

But they are not scheduled to hire any time soon, so you are back to the C-21 if you are into that kind of flying!

If it was me, on AD, I would take the C-17 or the C-130. C-17 is where the "future" of the force is headed, and although I've never flown the C-130, it just looks like good clean fun!

CAVOK

[ 20. December 2004, 16:45: Message edited by: CAVOK ]

What makes getting 135 at Mildenhall the best assignment?
I think it's one of the best out of UPT because...

You're overseas while you are younger with less responsibility and more opportunity to travel

You get to interact with aircraft and personnel throughout NATO and beyond

You get to go to airshows throughout Europe

No 3.2% beer (right BeerMan)

Those are some of the reasons. Sure, you might miss the states and places like Okinawa could give you island fever, and I think Mildenhall has about 3-4 hours of overcast daylight right now, but I think a -135 overseas would rock as a first assignment

That's just me talkin'

Yeah, if you wanna fly the four fans of freedom. I'm a -135 guy, so I guess I'm a little partial. I do think a -135 overseas is one of the best assignments. A SpecOps -130, slick to Ramstein, Elmendorf, Yokota, C-21 to Europe, C-17 to Charleston, -135 to MacDill or Offutt, they are all pretty high up on the list as well. Each has it's own merit, be it mission, location or both.

If I was Active Duty, knowing what I know now, my wish list out of T-1's would be something like

KC-135 to Kadena, MacDill, Mildenhall, Fairchild, in that order

C-17 to McGuire, Charleston, McChord, Travis (if they had them yet) in that order

RC-135 Offutt

KC-135 to McConnell

Then whatever life sent my way, starting with a -10 to McGuire.

Once the C-17's come online at Hickam and Elmendorf, that would change my views a bit, but I'd still take the -135's first, again, I am biased.

For some reason, the C-21 does nothing for me. Sorry wacky and C-21 driver. Everyone I know who does it loves it, though.

If I was AD, knowing what I know now, I might even put in for T-44's out of Tweets and shoot for the Talons or Shadows overseas or slicks to Ramstein or Elmendorf.

But that's just me.

Well downside is if you're single, English chicks never really did it for me.
You weren't going to the right places then buddy ;)

I did a year casual at RAF Lakenheath (10 miles from Mildenhall) and it was without a doubt the best place I've ever been in the AF. Yes you will miss stores that are open 24-7, and everything except the Chineese food sucks, but you more than make up for that by being so close to Europe, yet not surrounded by the stinky French peaceniks you'll find on the continent.

P.S. - If you are looking for chicks stay out of London and head up north - they dig the accent there.

Now now Tyler, no one likes a gloater...

Anyway, as far as the original post, my list would look something like this:

C-130 to Ramstein

-135 to Mildenhall (despite my "English chicks" comment Europe is Europe after all...)

C-17 to Charleston

C-17 to McChord

-135 to MacDill

and so on...

[ 23. December 2004, 00:42: Message edited by: wannaairlift ]

We need to get back on topic...

First, the C-21 is the best assignment out of the T-1 track regardless of what anyone says...

After that KC-135's to Mildenhall are close behind since we sent the most attractive female lieutenant from our class there (read only female). Just ask PAB, I will look for a picture, but everytime I search for her name on the photos a G-meter shows up...

wacky

[ 05. February 2005, 18:10: Message edited by: wacky ]

Guest pistolp

C-5 all the way baby!!! ANG or RESERVE and you are set for life. Though, there's a C-21 out of San Diego Navy Reserve. Not to shabby.

If you are looking to get into DV airlift, unless you have experience in the specific airframe (C-40, etc.) then you should go for C-17s.

Andrews, and the other AD DV units, will want to hire someone who has been an IP/EP in a major weapon system. Worldwide experience is a plus.

C-21 may fly generals around, but it is a completely different game then what the 89th does. If they hired you, in theory, they are limiting your promotion potential.

CAVOK

[ 29. December 2004, 15:19: Message edited by: CAVOK ]

Guest C-21 Pilot
C-21 may fly generals around, but it is a completely different game then what the 89th does.
This maybe true for the stateside guys (since I was one), but in USAFE, we fly the same folks as the 89th minus the Pres, VP, Sec of State and Defense. While it is true that a mojority of the C-21 deals with 3-4 star's, I've flown Sen McCain and Liebeerman, and a few H-O-Reps in there as well, throw in a few stateside Governor's and some USO folks, and you can quickly see that Brass isn't our only movement.

We had a crew before X-Mas more the current "Vice President" of Iraq (Khaddam), and we are "always" tasked with flying Ambassadors, NATO leaders, and other top world leaders (esp those in the surrounding countries around ETAR).

In fact, we are currently employing our planes to various parts of SWA (not deploying) with some very high ranking dignitaries...solely based upon the notion that our C-20/C-9 assets are down. These are the same airframes that the 89th AW currently uses, but simply on a much greater scale (both logistically and visually).

EDIT...

While flying a MWS and getting the time is a necessity for 89th hiring, have some experience with OSA is a benefit (hence the verbage on the hiring site:

1. APPLICANT REQUIREMENTS Back to Top

1a. Minimum requirements are as follows:

Airlift, Tanker, or C2ISR (E-3, E-4, E-8, KC-135) Major Weapon System (MWS) Aircraft Commander

No fighter or bomber

2000 total hours

3 years Time on Station (TOS or DEROS) by Oct 05 (NO EXCEPTIONS)

Professional Military Education (PME) completed (any method), appropriate for rank and time in grade

MWS/OSA Instructor/Evaluator experience

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

[ 29. December 2004, 17:57: Message edited by: C-21 Pilot ]

C-21,

Didn't realize you guys were doing so much overseas. Knew it happened on occasion, but thought that was it.

I do know the 89th hired C-9 only background guys into the C-9, & heard that was the only real OSA they targeted.

CAVOK