Reserves to AD in UPT?

Guest Guppyguy

Guest Guppyguy

Out of curiousity....

Anybody know of anyone who switched from a reserve pilot slot to AD while in UPT (phase II)? Is it possible?

Guppyguy

Guest IAGuardWife

How about for a full time job? Sounds like a good enough reason to me!

It can be done, but right now with the AF so overmanned on Officers, they aren't letting people cross over from Reserve/Guard to Active Duty.

For a lot going into Reserve airlift, it's already a fulltime job.

My unit's been activated for over 2 years, with another extension on the horizon. So, depending on where you're going, especially for the foreseeable future, you may be getting plenty of time on active duty anyway.

• 1 month later...

GuppyGuy-

To bring up an old post, I was just looking at your situation and wondering why you would want to go AD? Right now I'm looking at leaving my airline for either reserves or AD and wondering your perspective as someone in the pipeline?

Guest jeff1234

Well if your at the right place at the right time you bet it can happen regardless of what the current policy may be. I can think of at least two reserve UPT studs who were asked to make the switch less then a year ago. However one switch involved going to the ANG and the other involved an IP asking the stud if he was interested in active b/c 2-3 active guys dropped out of his class. They both declined but it did occur never the less.

asked to go to the same airframe, just AD instead of reserves? did the 10 year commitment switch to a 10 year active duty commitment as well I suppose?

Guest Guppyguy

ET-

Good question!

I was considering AD for job security and career progression. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally happy with the unit I'm going to, however, I believe in keeping my eyes open for different possibilities. Not sure if I have the stomach to get back in the airlines right now if you know what I mean. In addition, I'm 30, married with a 3-yr old. We would like to settle down again if possible. After being furloughed I'm not sure which career would be more stable, with moving every 3 yrs in the AF.

Those were strikes against AD but, the option apparently isn't possible so guess the debate is mute for me..

I asked all the people in the "know" at my base and had zero luck getting the ball rolling in any direction. If the opportunity arose, I'd seriously consider it, however, I'm not going to burn any bridges to get it when I'm content with my current course.

I have absolutely no regrets chosing to come here. 3 weeks until track select and I am having a blast.

Hope this helped- PM/email me if you like!

Guppyguy