PRK and LASIK Information

Container STS

When I got PRK, they looked at my records to make sure my eyes had been a constant prescription for a certain time prior to make sure they still weren't changing (or changing minimally). Fortunately, I've still got the 20/20 vision now that I did right after my surgery (well, after healing) - and I test 20/15 some days.

Unlike you, I wasn't lucky enough to weigh options - I either got the surgery, or I wasn't eligible for a pilot slot. But I can echo the sentiments above - that surgery is one of the best things that I've ever done for myself. If you're worried about the money issue, don't be. You'll make more money as a 2nd LT as a UPT base than you know what do with (and you won't have to buy anymore contacts or glasses...), but it's worth more than that. I don't know if you wear glasses or contacts regularly now, but the quality of life in general - not just with regards to flying - is so much better never having to deal with it.

That said, while I know countless guys who have gotten surgery and it has improved their lives and made them eligible, I know one guy who got the surgery and his eyes didn't heal right. Medically disqualified for pilot, but he loves being a nav.

But if we always stayed inside because of the fear of what might happen that .01% of the time...

When I got PRK, they looked at my records to make sure my eyes had been a constant prescription for a certain time prior to make sure they still weren't changing (or changing minimally). Fortunately, I've still got the 20/20 vision now that I did right after my surgery (well, after healing) - and I test 20/15 some days.

Unlike you, I wasn't lucky enough to weigh options - I either got the surgery, or I wasn't eligible for a pilot slot. But I can echo the sentiments above - that surgery is one of the best things that I've ever done for myself. If you're worried about the money issue, don't be. You'll make more money as a 2nd LT as a UPT base than you know what do with (and you won't have to buy anymore contacts or glasses...), but it's worth more than that. I don't know if you wear glasses or contacts regularly now, but the quality of life in general - not just with regards to flying - is so much better never having to deal with it.

That said, while I know countless guys who have gotten surgery and it has improved their lives and made them eligible, I know one guy who got the surgery and his eyes didn't heal right. Medically disqualified for pilot, but he loves being a nav.

But if we always stayed inside because of the fear of what might happen that .01% of the time...

were you prior? and what was your pre-op refraction?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just found out PRK is my only route... I'll be dropping about 4k but it wont be too bad with 24-month interest-free financing. And on top of that I found out my lasercare center will give free touch-ups/enhancements nation-wide as a part of their lifetime contract. Seems kind of hard to pass up at the young age of 19. Now all I have to do is finish my PPL, wait a year for my eyes to heal and its off to the races for UPT slots :salut:

Going in for my free consultation for WFG-PRK on Tuesday... been searching around on the internet and found two good sources for all of the FC1 standards.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforce/l/blflyeye.htm

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/groups/public/documents/afms/ctb_071808.pdf

(2011 Waiver Guide - Refractive Surgery Section)

Just want to make sure that these pages will cover all that I need the doc to check before I jump into the surgical chair!

Thanks for all the of the help fellas...

One step closer.

Edited by HawkJ2010

• 1 month later...

I recently had LASIK corrective surgery at Keesler AFB and had a great and very successful experience. 20/15 in both eyes, quick recovery, back flying as soon as the paperwork goes through.

If any guys on Active Duty, especially flyers, want any recent feedback feel free to PM me. I'm not a doc obviously and don't know the rules in all situations (cadets, civilians, etc.) but I can at least relay what I learned and pass along the good info that was imparted to me pre-surgery.

Sorry to bother ya'll again.

I have my WFG-PRK surgery date set and ready to go but recently I have heard that WFG-Lasik is also an option. Is this true for "off-the-street" ANG UPT candidates or only for those already in the service? The reason I am contemplating WFG-Lasik or WFG-PRK is that I hear the recovery process is much quicker and I don't have the time to spend laying in bed seeing as how I will be in school shortly. Any input/pro's&con's are greatly appreciated.

I have my WFG-PRK surgery date set and ready to go but recently I have heard that WFG-Lasik is also an option. Is this true for "off-the-street" ANG UPT candidates or only for those already in the service? The reason I am contemplating WFG-Lasik or WFG-PRK is that I hear the recovery process is much quicker and I don't have the time to spend laying in bed seeing as how I will be in school shortly. Any input/pro's&con's are greatly appreciated.

Check your PM. In terms of recovery, it's only the first 5 days that are bad for PRK so don't base any life-long decisions on being laid up for such a relatively short period of time.

I got WFG LASIK, and it was pretty amazing how fast the recovery is. Like I was good to go the next day when I woke up. But like nsplayr said it's not that big of a deal either way so don't base your decision on just that. I went with LASIK because I was pretty badly nearsighted and the surgeon and my own eye doctor both said that LASIK is slightly better in that situation.

• 2 months later...

I'm currently a civilian, with an ANG pilot slot and have my FC1 coming up soon. I had LASIK done 2.5 years ago and have all the paperwork for my pre- and post-op, 3 month, 6 month, and 12 month check-ups, but the only cycloplegic refraction I had done was during the pre-op check-up. Everything after that was either subjective refraction, auto-refraction, or retinoscopy, no cycloplegic refraction like the worksheets are asking for. Is there anything I can do about this now, or is it just something I have to work through during the physical?

I'm currently a civilian, with an ANG pilot slot and have my FC1 coming up soon. I had LASIK done 2.5 years ago and have all the paperwork for my pre- and post-op, 3 month, 6 month, and 12 month check-ups, but the only cycloplegic refraction I had done was during the pre-op check-up. Everything after that was either subjective refraction, auto-refraction, or retinoscopy, no cycloplegic refraction like the worksheets are asking for. Is there anything I can do about this now, or is it just something I have to work through during the physical?

The only required cycloplegic refraction is before surgery to determine if you meet the pre-op surgical limits. We don't require cycloplegic refractions after surgery- no one does that. The only requirement is that you have some type of refraction that documents you are stable. At 2.5 years out, you should be.

I wouldn't sweat it.

• 1 month later...

I have an interesting question now, and I couldn't find it anywhere in here so far.

I had LASIK last July, and I just went through MEPS yesterday (I am a 12OT01 pilot applicant). When I talked to the doctor at the end, I asked about getting a LASIK waiver, since no one had mentioned it yet. He said that since I had it done more than 6 months ago, I don't even need a waiver! So I was cleared through MEPS just like that.

Now,just about exactly a year ago I had everything put together to apply to 11OT01 (before it was canceled), but MEPS refused to even see me until at least 6 months after my LASIK procedure. They said I couldn't even BEGIN the waiver process until 6 months.

So did something change in the last year? I'm totally glad to have made it through MEPS without any issues, I just don't want to have any potential problems later if I ever get selected, go to do my FC1, and someone says "Hey, where the heck is your LASIK waiver?!"

MEPs and Wright-Pat are a bit different, MEPs told me the same thing. You'll go do your FC1, and that's when they'll mark "DQ for LASIK, recommend waiver" or "not recommend".

The guy there told me if they recommend it, there's about a 90% chance it'll go through. (They do all the paperwork, just have your op reports, etc.)

Unless there's been a dramatic policy change in the past year? (I did brooks July10)

• 2 months later...

Hey guys - I've been getting a variety of (mis?)information from sources and was looking to get something straightened out.

I'm a 13S, barely maintaining a FCIII with errors of -8.0 and -7.0. Yep. Blind. Stable for two years now and looking for surgery. From my research, it looks like LASIK is the better option for me, but that's up to a pre-screening to determine still. My two questions:

1. Am I even eligable? I've seen limits and I'm right at them. Is the -8 limit based on military corrective capability (and maybe done on the civilian side) or based on aerophys limits?

2. I'm looking at some training at Nellis that I am required to be medically cleared for all the FCIII items by June. The earliest I could get this surgery is March, leaving three months recovery. Even if I were eligable (question 1), how long is "average" before being able to get back to full up?

Note: I'm not saying I'd get it done before the course (should I be selected), that'd be my "Hey, you made it" or "Hey, you failed out" gift to myself afterwards.

Like I said - lots of information from people who aren't in the know. Why not throw some rando-internet opinion in there?

Thanks -- Stretch

Go to your base's optometrist and start the process. They will stop you there most likely if you are not eligible for medical reasons. It's possible to go to the surgery center and have then turn you down for some reason, but the tests done at your own base will be extensive and will likely result in a solid yes or no answer as to whether or not you can do it. The final LASIK vs PRK decision happens at the actual surgery center too just FYI, it's up to you and the surgeon, although I guess it's possible that you would only potentially qualify for one or the other, IDK, not a doc.

In terms of time, I was DNIF for exactly 3 months after having LASIK, however this could have been cut down to 1 month if medical wouldn't have pussy-footed around with my paperwork. The no-sh*t recovery from LASIK is extremely quick, your full medical recovery (i.e. you could go fly again) is about a month to a month and a half depending on how your Doc is feeling, however your paperwork recovery can be lengthy (I've seen 3-5 months). I'd say the "average" from a small sample size of dudes I know is 3 months for LASIK, 5-6 months for PRK from date you're cut to flying the line again.

Edited by nsplayr

In terms of time, I was DNIF for exactly 3 months after having LASIK, however this could have been cut down to 1 month if medical wouldn't have ######-footed around with my paperwork.

Holy crap, Brooks wouldn't see me for my FC1 for one year after my Lasik operation. I guess I'll throw this into the pot of inconsistencies in the air force.

Holy crap, Brooks wouldn't see me for my FC1 for one year after my Lasik operation. I guess I'll throw this into the pot of inconsistencies in the air force.

I have a FC1A (nav) so YMMV. I honestly don't know the details for pilots since most pilots I know already have excellent vision and I am not one so I didn't pay close attention to pilot-specific stuff.

However, I do know one pilot who got LASIK and I know she wasn't DNIF for a year...I'll ask her what her experience was.

If you have Lasik or PRK before the Initial FC1, then you have to wait up to a year. If you are already rated, then I believe you only go DNIF for 3-6 months, as stated above.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Slowhand

goducks et al..

I had Lasik done about 5-6 years ago. I have 20/20 in my left and ~20/20 in my right due to .25 astigmatism. Could not find the answer in previous posts. If I need a little correction to get me to 20/20 will they make a pair of temp glasses at Wright-Pat to pass the test with? And would I be able to qualify for the soft contact lense program while in UPT? Essentially post lasik + contacts to enhance.

Thanks for all the great info.

goducks et al..

I had Lasik done about 5-6 years ago. I have 20/20 in my left and ~20/20 in my right due to .25 astigmatism. Could not find the answer in previous posts. If I need a little correction to get me to 20/20 will they make a pair of temp glasses at Wright-Pat to pass the test with? And would I be able to qualify for the soft contact lense program while in UPT? Essentially post lasik + contacts to enhance.

Thanks for all the great info.

Slowhand,

I'm not expert, but I do believe that Wright-Patt will be able to furnish you with a temp pair to get you through the eye exam, but there are others on this forum who know more than I do.

As to the Contact program, I'm in the same boat, although my eyes diverged a little more than yours. As I understand it, you have to have worn contacts 6 months prior to UPT in order to qualify for the program when you show up to UPT. I've had mine for the past 6 months and start UPT in May, so I'm hoping that I won't have a problem in wearing contacts once I get there.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little confused. Is Barnes ANGB saying "we don't want to deal with LASIK waivers" or is this AF-wide policy for individuals who are not yet aviators?

http://www.104fw.ang.af.mil/resources/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=12230

"1d. Waivers for LASIK will not be allowed in aviation and special duty personnel."

I hope this is not AF-wide policy, or I'm screwed.