PRK and LASIK Information

Container STS

Guest dropkick_9

The reasons I thought my PRK surgery was better over my wifes LASIK mainly has to do with the confidence in the PRK procedure (permanence wise) and the lower rates of eye injury post-procedure. After my one week of pain I had a very good recovery with no halos, or eye dryness that my wife experienced.

Hope that helps, really depends on what you want and your ability to pay. If it's on the governments dime I highly recommend PRK.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Kent Money

For my personal clarification:

I am a myope with -2.25 and -2.50 in the right and left eyes, respectively.

This means I am not within the pre-op limitations, correct?

This also means that I should probably consider PRK over LASIK, correct?

Also, is my anisometropia anything to worry about? It is only a .25 difference...

Any help is much appreciated.

Edited by Kent Money

Guest goducks

Also, is my anisometropia anything to worry about? It is only a .25 difference...

You understand that you don't need surgery to qualify for a pilot slot? Barring any major changes, you are waiverable as is.

Based on the refractive error, you are a candidate for either procedure. If you were actively flying for the AF, the bias would be towards PRK as it is a more conservative approach, but either PRK or LASIK is possible. The -0.25 D anisometropia is no issue.

Guest Kent Money

Hmm, so I can pass my FC1 with my eyeglasses and as long as a waiver is granted, I'm good to go? I thought 20/200 was disqualifying and according to a conversion table I found, -2.50 is right on the cusp.

What if I am pursuing high-G aircraft, will this impose restrictions? Wouldn't I have to get refractive surgery done to fly these aircraft?

If RS is required to fly these aircraft, would you recommend that I get the surgery done now? Or wait until I am already going through the process (ie. OTS, IFS, UPT...)?

Edited by Kent Money

Guest goducks

Hmm, so I can pass my FC1 with my eyeglasses and as long as a waiver is granted, I'm good to go? I thought 20/200 was disqualifying and according to a conversion table I found, -2.50 is right on the cusp.

What if I am pursuing high-G aircraft, will this impose restrictions? Wouldn't I have to get refractive surgery done to fly these aircraft?

If RS is required to fly these aircraft, would you recommend that I get the surgery done now? Or wait until I am already going through the process (ie. OTS, IFS, UPT...)?

You would be waiverable as is (99.69% likely) for any aircraft, barring major changes in your prescription. Pilots of high-G aircraft require lens correction as much as any other airframe (41% of the time). HOWEVER....if you don't want to wear glasses or contacts, now is the time to get surgery. But, be aware that you must be 1 year post surgery before you can be seen for your MFS exam. You CANNOT get it done during OTS, UPT, etc, etc. You can get surgery once you have your wings (on the AF dollar), however, the ops tempo makes this difficult. So, whether you get the surgery done or not comes down to your choice.

GD

Guest Kent Money

You would be waiverable as is (99.69% likely) for any aircraft, barring major changes in your prescription. Pilots of high-G aircraft require lens correction as much as any other airframe (41% of the time). HOWEVER....if you don't want to wear glasses or contacts, now is the time to get surgery. But, be aware that you must be 1 year post surgery before you can be seen for your MFS exam. You CANNOT get it done during OTS, UPT, etc, etc. You can get surgery once you have your wings (on the AF dollar), however, the ops tempo makes this difficult. So, whether you get the surgery done or not comes down to your choice.

GD

Thanks a ton, GD. I had pretty much convinced myself I had to get the procedure done but you have informed me otherwise.

Very appreciative of your help and time.

It's strange because sometimes these threads span years of discussion, and during this time regulations seem to change so it can get confusing!

Best,

Kent

Guest VETTE277

In reference to that 1 year post op requirement before MFS, I'm a contracted ROTC cadet. I heard is contracted the wait is only 6 months after surgry ? any truth to this ?

Guest Kent Money

In reference to that 1 year post op requirement before MFS, I'm a contracted ROTC cadet. I heard is contracted the wait is only 6 months after surgry ? any truth to this ?

Technically, you must have the op done one year before MFS. However, you can get the ball rolling at around 6 months in terms of gettin the waivers filled out and stuff. I hope this answers your question.

Edited by Kent Money

• 2 weeks later...

Just got out of a PRK vs. LASIK consult with the in-town eye surgeons. IMO, they clearly had a pro-LASIK bias.

I'm currently -4.00 to -4.25 and approx. 20/400 in both eyes with no contraindications for a certain procedure.

They do the bladeless LASIK (iLASIK or whatever they call it) and am frankly leaning towards the iLASIK.

I've been talking to the eye doc at my Guard base, and he said the following, which I'd like to hear one other doctor confirm for me (Traditional enlisted Guardsmen, not currently aircrew, applying for a Guard UPT slot in a year):

1. LASIK is approved for someone in my situation, right?

2. The Guard doc said that all I need to do (besides getting the required signatures from my CC, UDM, MGG/CC, etc) is get a copy of all the paperwork the civilian eye surgery works up on me, both pre and post op. Correct?

3. I am currently a GA pilot. From what I've read on AOPA's website, once my eyes stabilize, I'd need to have the surgeon fill out some FAA form and send it in to the FAA. Anyone have any experience with this?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm so close to finally pulling the trigger that I'm getting a little nervous.

PD

The website below has a lot of great info and it's straight from the horse's mouth. It has specific details of what you will need to do and the paperwork your doc will have to fill out. The waiver guide is very detailed and the AFI gets easier to understand the second time through (as is the case with pretty much all AFIs).

I am not a doc, but I will be having the surgery soon and have done a lot of research. I would definitely recommend researching the differences between the types of surgeries. Case in point, I came across one website that said most surgeons will opt for PRK rather than e-LASIK (which is the one you're talking about) because the risk of complications is lower and there is no additional benefit in getting e-LASIK. It's a huge decision, so do your homework. Also in the waiver guide is which surgeries are approved and which are not.

USAF RS Website

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kramer

If you know you are going to need PRK, is it better to attain a pilot slot first and then get PRK? Or is it better to go ahead and knock out the PRK and then try for a pilot slot?

Guest goducks

If you know you are going to need PRK, is it better to attain a pilot slot first and then get PRK? Or is it better to go ahead and knock out the PRK and then try for a pilot slot?

I don't know if the timing requirements dictate/preclude one way or the other in some cases. But, as far as the medical/waiver situation is concerned, it doesn't matter. Having PRK does not help or hurt your chances as long as you have an uneventful outcome.

• 1 month later...

I had LASIK done in ROTC back in 2007 prior to applying for a pilot slot. Vision was pretty bad, not even good enough for nav. It worked like a charm and post op discomfort was minor. I did the surgery over the summer so it wouldn't interfere with school. I had to go back to the doc on a regular basis to get vision checks for the eventual Brooks visit but that was the only inconvenience. I was the second ROTC guy to go through brooks with LASIK and had no issues. I highly recommend LASIK over PRK due to the speedy healing time. I've also had no issues with night vision or anything like that.

Anyhow, as far as I know it doesn't matter if you are contracted or not. I was contracted but I still needed a year between the surgery date and my Brooks physical. I made the timing work because I took an extra semester to finish my degree, thus bumping me into the next fiscal year for pilot slots.

Guest Big Tex 89

Hey guys, new to the forum! I just got done reading ALL of the info in these posts about vision req's and whatnot because I will have to get some sort of eye surgery done for a pilot slot. I must admit that there is a wealth of valuable information within these posts and I'd especially like to thank Go Ducks for all of the valuable input. As of right now my eyes are within the pre-op ranges, however, I will be getting a thorough eye exam done within the next month so that I have all updated numbers. I'm only a Sophomore in college so I still have some time to get everything in order. One thing I noticed, though, was that the requirements have seemed to have changed quite a lot over the past few years, so it looks like we should expect some changes to take place. I'm only calling this to attention so that people will continue to be on the lookout for these changes so that the community will have updated information as well. Oh, and would anyone have any ballpark figures on the total costs of these surgeries (Especially in the DFW Metroplex)? Out of PRK or LASIK, is any one of these cheaper? I know that eye surgery isn't the place for people to cut corners on costs, but I am still going to be in college, lol. Again guys thanks for all of the help and insight! This site is much better than looking for related information through yahoo answers...

-Will update when I have my new eye RX numbers, TEX.

Guest goducks

Kent I have very similar vision. I qualified for a waiver while in ROTC, was granted an indefinite waiver, and have been flying F-15s for 6 years. Probably about 40% of the guys in the squadron wear contacts and a few others have gotten PRK. I wouldn't get the PRK unless you don't like wearing contacts. Like I said, I've worn them my whole career and never had a problem. If you want later in your career you can get PRK, but it should be during a time when you are not flying (i.e. Staff, etc.) because you are DNIF for at least 6 months.

Good Luck!

BeerMan

I agree with Beerman that flying with contacts is a very good alternative to PRK or LASIK; spectacles probably not so much.

For clarity I would point out that the DNIF period after PRK and LASIK is not a hard and fast number, but rather it's based on how long it takes you to recover to: 1) meet vision standards, and 2) demonstrate stability of your vision. Last I checked, the average DNIF time after PRK was just over 3 months and it was slightly shorter with LASIK. HOWEVER, it is possible to be DNIF up to 6 months (or more) if complications arise. Therefore, many aircrew are accomplishing refractive surgery while in a staff or other non-flying billet.

Posted in another section and was directed here. Good information.

I am a civilian applicant applying for a pilot slot via active duty Air Force OTS. My vision is such that I'll need surgery for correction to earn a rated position. Because of all this I want to set myself on a realistic timeline ASAP.

For instance, can I get the surgery by mid June and still apply to the Sept Rated boards? There is such a lag in application deadlines to actual class dates and commissioning (where i'll (hypothetically) be sent to get my FC1,1a physical) that it seems a year will pass by the time I'll be in position to get the final physical/visual 'OK'? Or is the Flight physical needed prior to OTS?

Please offer specifics in terms of application/selection/accession timelines and minimum post-op periods before each 'milestone,' so to speak.

• 4 weeks later...

Wacky situation here.

Currently I'm a junior in AFROTC, I will be commissioning in May of 2011. I have a rated slot.

However, I'll be going to Maxwell 1 this summer to complete field training, and I will return on 18 June.

I meet all pre-op CRS requirements.

From my understanding:

There's a 6 month lapse required from CRS to commissioning.

There's a 12 month lapse required from CRS to FC1.

There is no discrimination between LASIK and PRK anymore.

My question is:

If I have CRS in July, will I lose my rated slot because I cannot get my FC1 before I commission?

Guest goducks

Wacky situation here.

Currently I'm a junior in AFROTC, I will be commissioning in May of 2011. I have a rated slot.

However, I'll be going to Maxwell 1 this summer to complete field training, and I will return on 18 June.

I meet all pre-op CRS requirements.

From my understanding:

There's a 6 month lapse required from CRS to commissioning.

There's a 12 month lapse required from CRS to FC1.

There is no discrimination between LASIK and PRK anymore.

My question is:

If I have CRS in July, will I lose my rated slot because I cannot get my FC1 before I commission?

DA2

I'm not aware of any policy that stipulates 6 months between CRS and commissioning. If someone knows better, please correct. me.

Otherwise, you are correct that: 1) There is a 12 month requirement between CRS and FCI and 2) There is no discrimination between LASIK and PRK.

GD

DA2

I'm not aware of any policy that stipulates 6 months between CRS and commissioning. If someone knows better, please correct. me.

Otherwise, you are correct that: 1) There is a 12 month requirement between CRS and FCI and 2) There is no discrimination between LASIK and PRK.

GD

GD,

I may be mistaken. I got the idea that there was a 6 month lapse between CRS and commissioning from page 22 of the "AFROTC Medical Processing Guide March 2010." However, the language is a little vague: http://www.njit.edu/rotc/cadetlogin/officialpubs/MedicalGuide.pdf

If I got LASIK in July, would I be allowed to commission in May?

But the real important question is: If I got LASIK in July, am I allowed to go for my FC1 AFTER I commission?

Thanks sir!

DA

Edited by DA2

Guest goducks

GD,

I may be mistaken. I got the idea that there was a 6 month lapse between CRS and commissioning from page 22 of the "AFROTC Medical Processing Guide March 2010." However, the language is a little vague: http://www.njit.edu/rotc/cadetlogin/officialpubs/MedicalGuide.pdf

If I got LASIK in July, would I be allowed to commission in May?

But the real important question is: If I got LASIK in July, am I allowed to go for my FC1 AFTER I commission?

Thanks sir!

DA

I don't know the answer about the timeline. I'm aware of the medical policies, but not the administrative end of it. Hopefully someone who has gone through the process can help.

GD

• 3 weeks later...
Guest VETTE277

I wanted to get the opinion of some of you that have been through the process and understand the AFI requirements better than I do.

I just finished up my Freshmen year of AFROTC and I'm starting to get serious about having LASIK done come december while over winter break. I just started wearing contacts 6 months ago, never wore glasses before that aside from a weak - .5 prescription pair of sunglasses. Currently I', wearing - 1.00 soft contacts in both eyes, and I think at about 20/50 to 20/60 range. Near sight is 20/20. I understand that I should meet all the req. as of now for a rated/pilot slot, but I just DO NOT like wearing contacts and the upkeep involved. I just feel like I would be happier not having to deal with them, even as I get more accustomed. Does anyone think I am making a mistake here and it's not worth the risk ? I'm figuring (aside from not knowing specifics of pupil size, depth, etc.) that this minimum correction necessary would most likely mean I should have good results.

Thanks guys.

Guest goducks

I wanted to get the opinion of some of you that have been through the process and understand the AFI requirements better than I do.

I just finished up my Freshmen year of AFROTC and I'm starting to get serious about having LASIK done come december while over winter break. I just started wearing contacts 6 months ago, never wore glasses before that aside from a weak - .5 prescription pair of sunglasses. Currently I', wearing - 1.00 soft contacts in both eyes, and I think at about 20/50 to 20/60 range. Near sight is 20/20. I understand that I should meet all the req. as of now for a rated/pilot slot, but I just DO NOT like wearing contacts and the upkeep involved. I just feel like I would be happier not having to deal with them, even as I get more accustomed. Does anyone think I am making a mistake here and it's not worth the risk ? I'm figuring (aside from not knowing specifics of pupil size, depth, etc.) that this minimum correction necessary would most likely mean I should have good results.

Thanks guys.

First off, are your eyes stable? You don't want to get any surgery until then as the surgery will not keep them from changing again down the road.

As far as whether you are making a mistake or not, only you can answer that. Knowing that you may eventually be in a career field that places requirements on visual acuity and knowing that you do not like wearing corrective lenses, I think it's perfectly valid to pursue refractive surgery. Obviously there are risks, albeit small. If you can accept that fact, you're not making a mistake. Obviously the big concern is a complication that could jeopardize your pilot qualification. For PRK, I would estimate that figure to be <1% with corneal haze being the most likely cause. I can't speak on the risk with LASIK.

In my experience with PRK, results are optimal for refractive errors up to about -4.00 D, so yes, your eyes are in the "sweet" spot. Again, I can't speak on whether that is true with LASIK as my work has primarily been with PRK.

Best of luck.

GD

Guest goducks

I'd say get rated and THEN get LASIK/PRK.....my 2cents.

Agree 100% that getting rated first is the safest route. Once the investment is made, the rules change in favor of the aircrew member.

However, just to help you make an informed decision.

The vast majority of USAF pilots I've talked to would like refractive surgery, yet less than 10% have been able to get it. The primary reason is ops tempo. As an active flyer it's hard to take 3-6 months DQ for an elective procedure.

ȘÅİňŦ is absolutely correct that getting your wings first is optimal, but it may not allow you the choice later on.

GD