PRK and LASIK Information

Container STS

My recruiter's been a bit absentee so i'm hoping you guys can clear some things up.  I'm currently blind as a bat and will need LASIK to meet the minimum requirements for Pilot/CSO. My question is, is there any chance of disqualifying myself by having LASIK done as a civilian? Should I wait until I've been selected or am I safe to do the procedure and fill out the waiver?

I figured if I'm going to need the procedure anyway I might as well get it out of the way. Also, from what I have read(attached document) I should fall into acceptable "range" for pre-op astigmatism and spherical numbers.

My current contact prescription:

RT: BC: 8:70, Dia: 14:50, Sphere: -1.50, Cylinder: -1.75, Axis: 010

LT: BC: 8:70, Dia: 14:50, Sphere: -4.00 , Cylinder: -.75, Axis: 150 

AFD-150310-028.pdf

6 hours ago, JPowers46 said:

My recruiter's been a bit absentee so i'm hoping you guys can clear some things up.  I'm currently blind as a bat and will need LASIK to meet the minimum requirements for Pilot/CSO. My question is, is there any chance of disqualifying myself by having LASIK done as a civilian? Should I wait until I've been selected or am I safe to do the procedure and fill out the waiver?

I figured if I'm going to need the procedure anyway I might as well get it out of the way. Also, from what I have read(attached document) I should fall into acceptable "range" for pre-op astigmatism and spherical numbers.

AFD-150310-028.pdf

You are fine for LASIK.  You won't qualify for pilot applicant unless you get LASIK.  You might qualify for CSO applicant.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2018 at 7:45 PM, Jeremy said:

If I get PRK at age 17, would that still be a definite disqualifier for becoming a fighter pilot? 

Still?

Lasik / PRK aren't really disqualifying provided you meet the pre-op limits, and the surgery is successful and without complications. The waiver process seems pretty much pro forma at this point.

3 minutes ago, Stoker said:

I think it means you'll need glasses.

Agree.

6 minutes ago, Fakedicck said:

Gentlemen,

I have had PRK done about 3 years ago. The vision in one of my eye's is getting bad, probably 20/25-20/30. In the FC1, it says 20/200 uncorrected, 20/20 corrected. Does this mean I will be DQ'd? Do I need to get a touchup on my eye?

How soon is your IFC I?  You have to be six months post PRK (including a touch up) to be allowed to complete the IFC I exam.  If you don't want to incur the delay Stoker is spot on.  If you have plenty of time, get under the LASER again (totally an elective option).

Without specifics, I can't speculate.  The AF has no policy about corneal thickness post PRK/LASIK for applicants.  It's somethings that was probably an oversight, but it is what it is.  Obviously, you don't want to risk your long term vision/eyes just to qualify for IFC I.

6 minutes ago, Fakedicck said:

So you can fly jets with glasses?

Yep.  Last time we looked 40%+ of pilots required corrective lenses to fly.  There was no bias across airframe: fighters, tankers, cargo, rotary wing, etc.  You can wear contact lenses in lieu of glasses, but you must see 20/20 to fly.

3 hours ago, Fakedicck said:

So you can fly jets with glasses?

Absolutely. Tons of people show up to FC1 (or even UPT) and are issued glasses for the first time, and continue no problem. The whole "you must have perfect natural vision to be an Air Force pilot" myth has led countless applicants to self-disqualify. Don't make the same mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, moderate lurker and first post.

So I'm an active duty soldier who got accepted into the US Merchant Marine Academy and I'm trying to find a good surgeon in Long Island. Near great neck area. I don' t mind paying top dollar. I have a few I'm interested in scheduling a consultation with but I wanted to see if anyone on this forum had any recommendations before I take a shot in the dark.

• Downvote 1

Hello, moderate lurker and first post.
So I'm an active duty soldier who got accepted into the US Merchant Marine Academy and I'm trying to find a good surgeon in Long Island. Near great neck area. I don' t mind paying top dollar. I have a few I'm interested in scheduling a consultation with but I wanted to see if anyone on this forum had any recommendations before I take a shot in the dark.

Penile enhancement is still a gamble, just ask BQZip.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2018 at 11:58 PM, JPowers46 said:

AFD-150310-028.pdf

Someone offered to fund a lasik procedure for me and I would like to do it now and get it over with, as I am currently putting a package together for a UPT slot at various guard units.

Can someone please confirm that the form in the above quote is the most recent?

I do not want to do anything that would DQ me for a fighter position, so if anyone has any specific advice I would appreciate it (I have lurked on this thread a while and the only important thing seems to be meeting the pre-op requirements)

Edit: spelling

Edited by sotallytober

1 hour ago, sotallytober said:

Someone offered to fund a lasik procedure for me and I would like to do it now and get it over with, as I am currently putting a package together for a UPT slot at various guard units.

Can someone please confirm that the form in the above quote is the most recent?

I do not want to do anything that would DQ me for a fighter position, so if anyone has any specific advice I would appreciate it (I have lurked on this thread a while and the only important thing seems to be meeting the pre-op requirements)

Edit: spelling

Most recent form substantiated by the Air Force Waiver Guide. Google is your friend.

Edited by GDAL
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I am a freshman in college at the moment working on my private pilot license I am about two weeks from my check ride and getting my license. I called an ots recruiter he was pleased I had so much interest this early and the desire to get all the pt down now rather than later. But my main question is I have glasses can I fly for the Air Force? Today I am going to get a vision test form my eye and see if my eyes have worsened any. Am I able to take the flight psychical with glasses or not. The question is can I be a pilot in the USAF with glasses I want to be a pilot in the airforce period I don't care what airframe I am flying. I loving flying, and I want to serve. By the time I am down with college, I will be 22 and have all certifications up to CFI. Just be honest with me on this I am capable because I have no other health issues no allergies, std, eye diseases, or broken bones. Any info is appreciated thank you!

• 1 month later...

Where can i get a copy of my actual waiver? DodMERB told me they don't get copies and it's not on their website. I know it was granted but i'm trying to apply to units and this would make it easier rather than sending in all my surgery papers if I already had an approved waiver.

Thanks!

On 7/18/2018 at 2:36 PM, William said:

I am a freshman in college at the moment working on my private pilot license I am about two weeks from my check ride and getting my license. I called an ots recruiter he was pleased I had so much interest this early and the desire to get all the pt down now rather than later. But my main question is I have glasses can I fly for the Air Force? Today I am going to get a vision test form my eye and see if my eyes have worsened any. Am I able to take the flight psychical with glasses or not. The question is can I be a pilot in the USAF with glasses I want to be a pilot in the airforce period I don't care what airframe I am flying. I loving flying, and I want to serve. By the time I am down with college, I will be 22 and have all certifications up to CFI. Just be honest with me on this I am capable because I have no other health issues no allergies, std, eye diseases, or broken bones. Any info is appreciated thank you!

On 7/19/2018 at 12:16 PM, William said:

Does anyone know if it is ok to have Lasik eye surgery and still be ok for upt and ots?

William,

Are you seriously asking these questions?  They have been answered ad nauseam both in this thread and throughout this website.   Help yourself out and do a little research.

6 hours ago, ayz33 said:

Where can i get a copy of my actual waiver? DodMERB told me they don't get copies and it's not on their website. I know it was granted but i'm trying to apply to units and this would make it easier rather than sending in all my surgery papers if I already had an approved waiver.

Thanks!

Waivers are in AIMWTS.  Do you have access to flight medicine?  They can access it.

3 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

Waivers are in AIMWTS.  Do you have access to flight medicine?  They can access it.

Not to my knowledge. I should have mentioned I was still in ROTC. I have a form 2351 that shows a granted waiver but i'd like to have the actual waiver for ease of understanding and clarification.

Question pertaining to the timing of PRK itself in relation to the application process. I am going to be applying to ANG/Reserve squadrons as soon as I have finished my TBAS this Friday. I do require PRK and have been cleared by my recruiter and a local surgery center to proceed. The problem is getting time off of work to do the surgery and heal up enough to go back to work (I am a forklift operator). 

I guess my question is this: should I get the surgery done ASAP? or can I wait until after I have been picked up by a squadron (in the even that that even happens)? 

Potential notes of interest: I have not gone to MEPS, I have also not gone to do my FCI physical. I am 28 years old.  

Edited by jyang1659