PRK and LASIK Information

Container STS

Guest goducks

is there a minimum age to be eligible to receive PRK through the Warfighter Program?

I believe it is 21.

If you can get down to Lackland, they haven't had a waiting list in years. I've known 4 guys who have done it and are very happy with the results. The process is to get the paperwork from their website, get your CC's signature, show up to a prelim appointment and then get the surgery 3 days after the prelim appointment.

The most common disqualification has to do with eye thickness. Civilian doctors are willing to give the surgery to riskier patients while Big Blue more conservatively follows the stricter FDA standards. Lackland does a ton of these a year.

More info on Wilford Hall's site:

Address: http://www.whmc.af.mil/departments%28clinics%29/refractivesurgery.asp

Edit: One other important fact. If you do plan on using the timeline above, make sure you don't wear contacts starting 30 days before your scheduled op date.

Edited by G_6

If you can get down to Lackland, they haven't had a waiting list in years. I've known 4 guys who have done it and are very happy with the results. The process is to get the paperwork from their website, get your CC's signature, show up to a prelim appointment and then get the surgery 3 days after the prelim appointment.

The most common disqualification has to do with eye thickness. Civilian doctors are willing to give the surgery to riskier patients while Big Blue more conservatively follows the stricter FDA standards. Lackland does a ton of these a year.

More info on Wilford Hall's site:

Address: http://www.whmc.af.mil/departments%28clinics%29/refractivesurgery.asp

Edit: One other important fact. If you do plan on using the timeline above, make sure you don't wear contacts starting 30 days before your scheduled op date.

thanks. and there is no age limit for this right?

thanks. and there is no age limit for this right?

Actually, after checking a few references, it looks like 21 is the minimum age. Slide 18 of this briefing on the Air Force Medical Service site references AFI 48-123 which covers the refractive surgery guidelines and sets the age as 21.

Edited by G_6

I have seen that many of you suggest getting LASIK/PRK before applying for a UPT slot.

However, can you apply at a Guard unit and let them take care of the pre-surgery for you through the military?

Or should I see a civilian doctor and get my eyesight problems taken care of before even thinking about applying?

Guest goducks

I have seen that many of you suggest getting LASIK/PRK before applying for a UPT slot.

However, can you apply at a Guard unit and let them take care of the pre-surgery for you through the military?

Or should I see a civilian doctor and get my eyesight problems taken care of before even thinking about applying?

First off, unless you are eligible for military medical care (e.g. a dependent) then they won't be able to do anything for you. Even if you are eligible for care, many (most?) ANG/AFRC units are hurting for optometrists and you'd be hard pressed to get them to see you for an elective procedure.

The reason for getting the surgery early is that it can be difficult to find time to get it done once you complete UPT. Some guys wait many years before such a window exists.

First off, unless you are eligible for military medical care (e.g. a dependent) then they won't be able to do anything for you. Even if you are eligible for care, many (most?) ANG/AFRC units are hurting for optometrists and you'd be hard pressed to get them to see you for an elective procedure.

The reason for getting the surgery early is that it can be difficult to find time to get it done once you complete UPT. Some guys wait many years before such a window exists.

Thanks Goducks... a few more questions to add to that

Does the military frown upon you getting the surgery done by a civilian doctor? Or do you think that they might even recommend a great surgeon for me?

Would YOU (personally) get corrective eye surgery before your full military physical or would you discourage that?

I am just trying to look at this from a "time-saving" perspective because I know you need 1 year post-op before going to upt. Although I am young and do have some time.

Hypothetically speaking if I did go through with PRK before this summer does that effect flying civilian and getting my PPL as well(still working on complete that)?

Thanks for all of these questions that you or anyone will be able to answer. I have been using the search function that is recommended to us new guys but still couldnt find the exact answers I was looking for. I am very eager to use my young age at an advantage but being too young may hurt me from getting PRK done. Anyways. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Guest goducks

Thanks Goducks... a few more questions to add to that

Does the military frown upon you getting the surgery done by a civilian doctor? Or do you think that they might even recommend a great surgeon for me?

Would YOU (personally) get corrective eye surgery before your full military physical or would you discourage that?

I am just trying to look at this from a "time-saving" perspective because I know you need 1 year post-op before going to upt. Although I am young and do have some time.

Hypothetically speaking if I did go through with PRK before this summer does that effect flying civilian and getting my PPL as well(still working on complete that)?

Thanks for all of these questions that you or anyone will be able to answer. I have been using the search function that is recommended to us new guys but still couldnt find the exact answers I was looking for. I am very eager to use my young age at an advantage but being too young may hurt me from getting PRK done. Anyways. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Speaking in Air Force terms (not real familiar with other branches, but would assume they're similar):

1. Absolutely no issues with going to a civilian doc- most don't have any other choice. But, the AF would never recommend either a doctor or which procedure- LASIK vs. PRK.

2. I personally wouldn't because I still haven't, even though I'm completely dependent on glasses. Nothing wrong with the procedure, just too lazy and unmotivated to do anything about it. However, I wouldn't discourage it either. If you need the surgery to be PPQ, then I would encourage. If that's not the case, I might suggest several things to consider: a) You do introduce a very SLIGHT risk of having a complication and not getting a waiver, b) You're getting it done at a fairly young age. Generally I could recommend waiting until mid to late 20's as lots of eyes don't stabilize until then and c) the AF will give it to you for free if you wait (albeit it's not always easy).

3. I am not aware that there are any mandated waiting periods after PRK/LASIK for the FAA. However, I work in the military environment so that's not gospel. But the times I've been exposed to the private site it's just a matter of whether you can pass the test. They don't care whether you've had surgery, wear contacts, glasses, etc. Just read the chart.

Just to add something about the age...my comments about being 21 in a previous post refer only to procedures done by the military. We've seen guys get surgery much younger when done civilian and it's not viewed as an issue when you process through the physical.

Glad to help. Just want to make sure folks get accurate feedback.

GD

Speaking in Air Force terms (not real familiar with other branches, but would assume they're similar):

1. Absolutely no issues with going to a civilian doc- most don't have any other choice. But, the AF would never recommend either a doctor or which procedure- LASIK vs. PRK.

2. I personally wouldn't because I still haven't, even though I'm completely dependent on glasses. Nothing wrong with the procedure, just too lazy and unmotivated to do anything about it. However, I wouldn't discourage it either. If you need the surgery to be PPQ, then I would encourage. If that's not the case, I might suggest several things to consider: a) You do introduce a very SLIGHT risk of having a complication and not getting a waiver, b) You're getting it done at a fairly young age. Generally I could recommend waiting until mid to late 20's as lots of eyes don't stabilize until then and c) the AF will give it to you for free if you wait (albeit it's not always easy).

3. I am not aware that there are any mandated waiting periods after PRK/LASIK for the FAA. However, I work in the military environment so that's not gospel. But the times I've been exposed to the private site it's just a matter of whether you can pass the test. They don't care whether you've had surgery, wear contacts, glasses, etc. Just read the chart.

Just to add something about the age...my comments about being 21 in a previous post refer only to procedures done by the military. We've seen guys get surgery much younger when done civilian and it's not viewed as an issue when you process through the physical.

Glad to help. Just want to make sure folks get accurate feedback.

GD

Well I'll be going to get my FC1 soon for my PPL and to see how well I qualify towards getting a full military first class physical. Now the number one concern I have is my age as I am fairly young. Do you have statistics that show the younger you are the more prone you are to post-op issues? Or is it dependent upon everyone's eyes? I am 19 and getting closer to 20 but I am nowhere near your suggested age of mid to late 20's. However, as I am approaching my last year in college I figure I should get PRK done now so when jumping from college to the ANG there will be no extra time gap other than the 2/3 years to get to UPT. (If I did it this summer I would have my 1 year post-op completed around the same time as my B.S.

What do you mean "if you wait long enough the AF will do it for free" I was under the impression that if you wanted to be a pilot you needed the eyesight corrected prior to upt because there is no flying with corrective lenses allowed. That goes for tankers too, right?

I will probably end up going with PRK as that has been the standard for many fighter slots in the ANG because of the whole corneal flap and ejection seat situation. As for now I just have to wait and see who my AME refers me to and find an additional 5k... anyone want to spot me a few bones?

Thanks goducks for the correct and accurate information.

Guest goducks

Well I'll be going to get my FC1 soon for my PPL and to see how well I qualify towards getting a full military first class physical. Now the number one concern I have is my age as I am fairly young. Do you have statistics that show the younger you are the more prone you are to post-op issues? Or is it dependent upon everyone's eyes? I am 19 and getting closer to 20 but I am nowhere near your suggested age of mid to late 20's. However, as I am approaching my last year in college I figure I should get PRK done now so when jumping from college to the ANG there will be no extra time gap other than the 2/3 years to get to UPT. (If I did it this summer I would have my 1 year post-op completed around the same time as my B.S.

What do you mean "if you wait long enough the AF will do it for free" I was under the impression that if you wanted to be a pilot you needed the eyesight corrected prior to upt because there is no flying with corrective lenses allowed. That goes for tankers too, right?

I will probably end up going with PRK as that has been the standard for many fighter slots in the ANG because of the whole corneal flap and ejection seat situation. As for now I just have to wait and see who my AME refers me to and find an additional 5k... anyone want to spot me a few bones?

Thanks goducks for the correct and accurate information.

Getting treated at a young age doesn't make you more prone to problems, it's just that your eyes may still be changing in power and you'll be back in glasses or contacts again if that happens. Not the ideal situation.

To clarify: The AF will treat pilots (or any other aircrew position) with PRK or LASIK. Pilots can wear glasses or contacts and about 40% currently do- true for fighters, tankers, bombers, etc. The requirement to have "perfect" vision to be a pilot went out the window about 30 years ago, give or take a few.

Getting treated at a young age doesn't make you more prone to problems, it's just that your eyes may still be changing in power and you'll be back in glasses or contacts again if that happens. Not the ideal situation.

To clarify: The AF will treat pilots (or any other aircrew position) with PRK or LASIK. Pilots can wear glasses or contacts and about 40% currently do- true for fighters, tankers, bombers, etc. The requirement to have "perfect" vision to be a pilot went out the window about 30 years ago, give or take a few.

Well the eye doc will be able to determine if my eyes have stablized, correct? I'd hate to drop 5k to get my eyes corrected for a year and then maybe have to do it all over again shortly. I hope my vision will get to 20/70 on its own!

Guest goducks

Well the eye doc will be able to determine if my eyes have stablized, correct? I'd hate to drop 5k to get my eyes corrected for a year and then maybe have to do it all over again shortly. I hope my vision will get to 20/70 on its own!

It's just a matter of reviewing your prescription relative to previous year's exam. There is no way to guarantee that means they stabilized and couldn't change in the future, but it's the best you can do.

"20/70 is the standard. If you are 20/70 or better, you meet standards. If you are worse than 20/70, but 20/200 or better you are waiverable (and these waivers are basically a formality). If you are worse than 20/200 then it's time for PRK or LASIK"

Goducks wrote this a while ago. I believe I am worse than 20/70 but not 100% on that or not. However, if I am worse than 20/70 (and I know I'm better than 20/200) how do I go about getting a waiver prior to applying for a UPT slot in the ANG?

Guest goducks

"20/70 is the standard. If you are 20/70 or better, you meet standards. If you are worse than 20/70, but 20/200 or better you are waiverable (and these waivers are basically a formality). If you are worse than 20/200 then it's time for PRK or LASIK"

Goducks wrote this a while ago. I believe I am worse than 20/70 but not 100% on that or not. However, if I am worse than 20/70 (and I know I'm better than 20/200) how do I go about getting a waiver prior to applying for a UPT slot in the ANG?

You don't. We, on the medical side, put in the request. You don't do it before you apply. Generally, the process is that you get a slot with a unit who then sponsors you to go through the FCI physical. You're making this more difficult than it is. Work on getting a slot, the rest will come.

I see now. I guess I'm making things way more difficult than they really are. So if I were to be selected... that must mean that a particular unit really wants me therefore they will try to get me a waiver? I also need to just get a regular flight medical for civilian flying. Would it be a good idea to go for first class and try to prep myself for the AF one to avoid any problems there?

Guest goducks

I see now. I guess I'm making things way more difficult than they really are. So if I were to be selected... that must mean that a particular unit really wants me therefore they will try to get me a waiver? I also need to just get a regular flight medical for civilian flying. Would it be a good idea to go for first class and try to prep myself for the AF one to avoid any problems there?

Your unit sponsors you to be scheduled for an FCI exam (you can't do these things on your own), but the waiver stuff is all handled by the FCI medical folks. Your unit does not get involved. Now, if a medical condition is identified and no waiver is recommended, then your unit can fight for you if they choose.

As far as the FAA medical goes, it's really apples and oranges relative to the FCI. The FAA physical is designed to determine if you can safely operate an aircraft now and in the near future. The FCI is designed to determine if you will have a high likelihood of being able to keep flying for a much longer period of time (10 years is used as the goal).

Guest goducks

Are some waivers easier to obtain than others? If so which would be simpler? A waiver for 20/100 uncorrected vision but 20/20 corrected, or a waiver for PRK?

The waiver for 20/100 is essentially a formality. If your eyes are otherwise normal, you should get the waiver. The waiver for PRK requires some additional vision testing.

True...I'm one of those who did it young and get the priviledge of getting a touch up in the future. I got mine done when I was 20 (8 years ago) and my eyes are starting to go on me now. Now, my eyes aren't bad at all...they are 20/25 and 20/30. I only wear my glasses now for driving at night/low light (which is why I went in to get glasses in the first place), or in doors when I'm enduring death by powerpoint and I'm far from the screen. I see it just fine, I just prefer to have it more clear. I never had a problem with my night vision up until my vision started to slowly go on me and really it's just b/c things are blurry at a distance for me. I prefer to have things clear and sharp at night. On a nice sunny day, I don't even think about grabbing my glasses unless it's my sunglasses.

I wouldn't change a thing though with getting my eyes fixed when I was 20. Having PRK was the best thing that has ever happened to me and the last 8 years have been awesome. Do I need a touch up eventually? Yep, but I don't need to get it right away, I still have plenty of time before wearing glasses becomes a nuisance and I'm finding myself needing them more than not.

Guest goducks

True...I'm one of those who did it young and get the priviledge of getting a touch up in the future. I got mine done when I was 20 (8 years ago) and my eyes are starting to go on me now. Now, my eyes aren't bad at all...they are 20/25 and 20/30. I only wear my glasses now for driving at night/low light (which is why I went in to get glasses in the first place), or in doors when I'm enduring death by powerpoint and I'm far from the screen. I see it just fine, I just prefer to have it more clear. I never had a problem with my night vision up until my vision started to slowly go on me and really it's just b/c things are blurry at a distance for me. I prefer to have things clear and sharp at night. On a nice sunny day, I don't even think about grabbing my glasses unless it's my sunglasses.

I wouldn't change a thing though with getting my eyes fixed when I was 20. Having PRK was the best thing that has ever happened to me and the last 8 years have been awesome. Do I need a touch up eventually? Yep, but I don't need to get it right away, I still have plenty of time before wearing glasses becomes a nuisance and I'm finding myself needing them more than not.

Excellent point. Not to say that getting refractive surgery at a young age is a bad decision; it just might not be a permanent fix.

Guest goducks

Yeah its just if I don't need it why drop the 5k (maybe twice)? I would rather not get the surgery and had perfecting fine eyes and wear glasses than take the risk of anything bad occuring.

Yep, that's why it's elective. It's your call.