PRK and LASIK Information

Container STS

Guest VETTE277

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. Theres a good bit if info on here regarding the procedures involved with moving forward from active duty/reserve/ots/etc. but not to much that I saw searching for the ROTC side. If you have the surgery done as an AFROTC cadet does this change how you apply for your rated/pilot slot ? Do you go through the same channels and are you in the same pool as everyone else or are you handicapped in anyway ? (Less slots available for LASIK people, etc.)

Guest goducks

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. Theres a good bit if info on here regarding the procedures involved with moving forward from active duty/reserve/ots/etc. but not to much that I saw searching for the ROTC side. If you have the surgery done as an AFROTC cadet does this change how you apply for your rated/pilot slot ? Do you go through the same channels and are you in the same pool as everyone else or are you handicapped in anyway ? (Less slots available for LASIK people, etc.)

I don't know of any way that refractive surgery changes the process other than the additional paperwork and a few more vision tests that are associated with accomplishing the FCI/MFS process at Brooks.

There used to be a cap on the number of applicants that could have refractive surgery- that was dropped back in 2007.

Hey,

Had my LASIK about 2 months ago. Went beautifully, and now I'm a couple thousand dollars poorer and the doc claims I'm perfect 20/20. (woot!)

I'm an ANG pilot hopeful, civilian currently. I've got to wait a year from the date of my surgery before I can go for my FC1, right?

So here's my question:

Considering that a lot of ANG selectees are having to wait months to get sent to Brooks for their FC1's anyway, will a unit interview me, when I've got a few months left to go until my 1-year LASIK anniversary? E.g. If they like me --> they select me --> deliberately wait a few months before sending me to Brooks so that I'm past the 1-yr mark? Or are they going to wait until a year after my surgery to even talk to me?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by sog

Guest VETTE277

I don't know of any way that refractive surgery changes the process other than the additional paperwork and a few more vision tests that are associated with accomplishing the FCI/MFS process at Brooks.

There used to be a cap on the number of applicants that could have refractive surgery- that was dropped back in 2007.

Thanks for the good info. I went ahead and had a consultation for the LASIK today and I'm starting to get very serious about having it done. I checked out AFMS but I wanna make sure I'm looking at the right information as a ROTC cadet, because I dont know if it differs for those already active duty/rated. So exactly which guide/instrucition do I need to reference and can I bring to my doctor and say "Hey please show me that I meet ALL of these requirements."

(And just for reference, what I am currently using is the Air Force Waver Guide - 7 JUNE 2010, Pg 680: Following Applicants to AASD requirements)

My main concern right now is just making sure I meet all the pre-op requirements and numbers so I don't effectively disqualify myself by having the surgery done. What are the key numbers/limits I need to be aware of and meet going into this ? I only see the Pre-RS Cyc Refractive Error limit mentioned in the guide.

The vision center I'm considering is supposed to be top of the line, very expensive...but hopefully worth it. They use the Wavelight Allegretto or CustomVue with VISX Star S4 Laser depending which will have the best results for you. Both are bladeless, and I'd like to check are authorized when I find the right pub for my situation.

My biggest confusion is whether I need to meet the requirements listed under "The following clinical criteria must be met before permission to proceed and waiver is granted following CRS treatment in AASD personnel". My main concern is the age requirement since I am not 21 yet. Does this also apply to applicants to AASD ? (Upon second review, this is just for the actual wavier I will need, but having the surgery done before 21 is OK. Am I reading that correctly ?)

Appreciate the continued help here.

Edited by VETTE277

SOG - You can interview with units while you're in your "waiting" period. At least, unless they specifically say no. I interviewed with multiple units during my 1-year waiting period.

VETTE277 - Your Det. commander would be a good person to contact about that. I'm not sure if you need to apply for "permission to proceed" being in ROTC, I know I did as an enlisted guardsman. As far as pre-surgery waiver requirements, just focus on the "Applicant to AASD"

Guest goducks

Thanks for the good info. I went ahead and had a consultation for the LASIK today and I'm starting to get very serious about having it done. I checked out AFMS but I wanna make sure I'm looking at the right information as a ROTC cadet, because I dont know if it differs for those already active duty/rated. So exactly which guide/instrucition do I need to reference and can I bring to my doctor and say "Hey please show me that I meet ALL of these requirements."

(And just for reference, what I am currently using is the Air Force Waver Guide - 7 JUNE 2010, Pg 680: Following Applicants to AASD requirements)

My main concern right now is just making sure I meet all the pre-op requirements and numbers so I don't effectively disqualify myself by having the surgery done. What are the key numbers/limits I need to be aware of and meet going into this ? I only see the Pre-RS Cyc Refractive Error limit mentioned in the guide.

The vision center I'm considering is supposed to be top of the line, very expensive...but hopefully worth it. They use the Wavelight Allegretto or CustomVue with VISX Star S4 Laser depending which will have the best results for you. Both are bladeless, and I'd like to check are authorized when I find the right pub for my situation.

My biggest confusion is whether I need to meet the requirements listed under "The following clinical criteria must be met before permission to proceed and waiver is granted following CRS treatment in AASD personnel". My main concern is the age requirement since I am not 21 yet. Does this also apply to applicants to AASD ? (Upon second review, this is just for the actual wavier I will need, but having the surgery done before 21 is OK. Am I reading that correctly ?)

Appreciate the continued help here.

Vette,

Basically, just make sure that you are within the pre-operative refractive error limits (+3.00 to -8.00 for hyperopia/myopia and -3.00 for astigmatism). Verify through your doc that you don't have any other disqualifying conditions that would come into play with or without surgery (e.g. retinal degenerations, color anomalies, glaucoma, etc).

Don't worry about the 21 age limit or "permission to proceed" as they only apply to folks being treated within the AF system.

You really can't disqualify yourself by having refractive surgery unless there is some exceptionally unusual complication due to the surgery (which historically has happened less than 1% of the time.

There are no restrictions about which laser platform you choose or whether you go with a bladeless vs. a microkeratome incision.

Let me know if you have any further concerns.

GD

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paegelow

Hey guys. I just read through this whole thread, and this is some great info! Way more than I've been able to find anywhere else!

Anyway, this is my situation. I'm 23 and graduating college this December. I'm also enlisted in the Army Reserve currently, although after talking to my retention NCO, it should be no problem to get out if I want to join the AF, since I don't have much time left on my enlistment anyway. So that's not really an issue.

My vision is pretty bad, and I wear contacts (-3.75 left and -4.00 right). But, I don't have any other eye problems besides being near sighted. I want to go active duty AF pilot as soon as I can after I'm done with college. As of right now, I'm scheduled to get iLASIK on July 15th (at a civilian place, the Army Reserve wouldn't do it for me unfortunately).

What is my timeline for everything now? I still have to take the AFOQT, so that's one thing I can do early, right? And I have to wait a whole year after my Lasik before I can take a flight physical. Is it possible to get the rest of the physical done, excluding my eyes, beforehand? Then at least I'd know if there were any problems besides my eyes. I don't think there are though.

What else can I do between now and a year from now? I can't apply for any officer selection boards before my flight physical, can I? So I'll have to wait until after next July to even go to OTS, won't I?

Thanks guys!

FWIW

I just passed my first PRK waiver renewal in the AF. Had PRK back in 2002, OTS/FC1 Waiver in 2007, survived being a lab rat at Brooks, winged in 2009. It's been 8 years since my PRK and I'm still 20/20.

As someone was talking about recently, WAIT until your eyes peak out/stabilize at their worst before you get surgery. This usually occurs in your mid 20s (so I'm told my the doc). It'll save you some asspain in the long run.

I wouldn't be where I am now if I didn't get PRK done back in the day. No PRK = no UPT = no wings. Simple as that. So I highly encourage people to get it, or Lasik, done.

• 1 month later...

New user here. Lots of valuable information on this forum, thanks to everyone who has posted. I have seen this question asked already, but have not seen a response. Here is my situation. I am a 27 year old civilian - already pushing the upper age limit for age requirements, I realize. My far vision is around 20/40, but the problem is so is my near vision. I think I will require surgery for a UPT slot. I have two interviews next week at two different ANG fighter units. I understand that there is a 1 year waiting period after PRK before my FC-1. I also understand that the processing for an ANG slot often takes over a year. My question: Can I get PRK now and use this time as the recovery time? Would I be able to go to AMS before my 12 month recovery time is finished? Or will I not get the slot based on the fact that I need a year from now to recover, making me (just about) too old? PLEASE HELP!! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Varmint

Edited by varmint_10

Guest Neppo1345

So, I'm in a similar situation to Varmint. I'm looking to go either active duty or ANG once I graduate from college next June (would like to fly hercs or helos). Currently putting myself through training for my private pilots license (hopefully going to solo next week), hold my FAA Class III medical and am healthy despite being slightly overweight (which is being corrected now).

My only problem is my vision...which is bad.

ETA: My vision is correctable to 20/20 with glasses or contacts...I don't know if this matters but figured I would include it.

My question is this:

Will the ANG or AF take me prior to having any corrective surgery, then put me through the procedure before/after OTS?

OR

Am I going to have to pay for the procedure out of pocket before even being looked at for a pilot slot?

From what I've read here I'm thinking it's going to be the latter (paying for it myself) but I want some kind of confirmation of this before talking to my optometrist, or a recruiter.

Thanks in advance,

-Tim

Edited by Neppo1345

Guest goducks

New user here. Lots of valuable information on this forum, thanks to everyone who has posted. I have seen this question asked already, but have not seen a response. Here is my situation. I am a 27 year old civilian - already pushing the upper age limit for age requirements, I realize. My far vision is around 20/40, but the problem is so is my near vision. I think I will require surgery for a UPT slot. I have two interviews next week at two different ANG fighter units. I understand that there is a 1 year waiting period after PRK before my FC-1. I also understand that the processing for an ANG slot often takes over a year. My question: Can I get PRK now and use this time as the recovery time? Would I be able to go to AMS before my 12 month recovery time is finished? Or will I not get the slot based on the fact that I need a year from now to recover, making me (just about) too old? PLEASE HELP!! Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Varmint

Varmint,

I'm surprised that your near vision is an issue. At your age (i.e. not presbyopic) why is your near vision not closer to 20/20? What is your Rx? I'd be surprised that you don't currently meet the standards/waiver limits. Don't jump into PRK if you don't need/want it.

GD.

So, I'm in a similar situation to Varmint. I'm looking to go either active duty or ANG once I graduate from college next June (would like to fly hercs or helos). Currently putting myself through training for my private pilots license (hopefully going to solo next week), hold my FAA Class III medical and am healthy despite being slightly overweight (which is being corrected now).

My only problem is my vision...which is bad.

ETA: My vision is correctable to 20/20 with glasses or contacts...I don't know if this matters but figured I would include it.

My question is this:

Will the ANG or AF take me prior to having any corrective surgery, then put me through the procedure before/after OTS?

OR

Am I going to have to pay for the procedure out of pocket before even being looked at for a pilot slot?

From what I've read here I'm thinking it's going to be the latter (paying for it myself) but I want some kind of confirmation of this before talking to my optometrist, or a recruiter.

Thanks in advance,

-Tim

Neppo,

What is "bad" in regards to your vision? You might be surprised what is waiverable.

Otherwise, the artist formally known as SAINT is correct. As an applicant, the ANG/AF will not cover your surgery and they won't likely offer you a spot if you don't meet the waiverable refractive limits.

GD

Guest Neppo1345

Neppo,

What is "bad" in regards to your vision? You might be surprised what is waiverable.

Otherwise, the artist formally known as SAINT is correct. As an applicant, the ANG/AF will not cover your surgery and they won't likely offer you a spot if you don't meet the waiverable refractive limits.

GD

Well, without contacting my optometrist I know my contact scrip (LH: -6.5 and RH: -7 ). Is that enough to tell?

My opto isn't open today so I'll have to wait till Monday to get any more info.

Thanks again everyone.

Guest goducks

Well, without contacting my optometrist I know my contact scrip (LH: -6.5 and RH: -7 ). Is that enough to tell?

My opto isn't open today so I'll have to wait till Monday to get any more info.

Thanks again everyone.

Okay, that's getting up there. You've got an easy decision. If you want to be potentially pilot qualified you need refractive surgery of some type. You aren't going to get very far with any detachment until you have the surgery and don't have any major complications. It will have to be out of pocket.

Best of luck.

GD

Guest Neppo1345

Okay, that's getting up there. You've got an easy decision. If you want to be potentially pilot qualified you need refractive surgery of some type. You aren't going to get very far with any detachment until you have the surgery and don't have any major complications. It will have to be out of pocket.

Best of luck.

GD

That's what I feared. Looks like I need to start saving.

Thanks again for the info.

Edited by Neppo1345

• 1 month later...

Hopefully someone will be able to give me insight on my situation. The other day I went to the optometrist for my class three flying physical for CSO. I passed every test except the low contrast acuity chart for my lasik waiver. The letters are crystal clear but due to minimal halos post lasik surgery the backlit white halod out the grey letters. I don't have low contrast sensitivity. I could see them fine with both eyes open but was tested only one eye at a time. After the tests with an NCO the doctor came in and gave me a prescription and told me to buy glasses even though I got a 20/20 on my normal acuity test. I put them on and it only made my vision cloudy and increased my halos at night. I'm nervous as to what will happen on my followup appointment in 9 days. Am i done if I cant pass this test? I'm sure I could pass it if it was on paper instead of backlit lightboard or if I could use both my eyes. Does anyone have any info that would put my mind at ease or have any details on what is infact required? I highly appreciate it.

Brian

Edited by bdmski

• 3 weeks later...

I passed my FC1 physical last winter but want to know if the AF will pay for PRK once I'm on active duty (only a few weeks now). I've never worn glasses/contacts because my vision was 20/20 until my right eye got hit with a soccer ball a few years ago. Now it's like 20/30 or something in the one eye so I still don't use glasses, but the flight doc at Brooks said I'd need a cheapo pair of lenses (well, one lens and one piece of plain glass) for IFS. I'd rather not have to worry about glasses during IFS and UPT. Will I actually need the glasses with this kind of vision? I realize I would be cutting the recovery time pretty close to my TDY's (ASBC in Feb, IFS in May) and I know there's an even longer grounded-period post-op that might cut into IFS/UPT class dates.

Thanks.

I have a similar situation as mattmoon, but won't be on AD for awhile.

Is it possible to have corrective surgery AFTER going to Brooks? I haven't been able to find a concrete answer on whether it can be done or not. I got my FC1 back in April with 20/50 vision and a -1.25 prescription, which isn't terrible, but I can't stand wearing contacts. I've worn contacts for several years and have gone back and forth on the idea of having surgery, but lately I've really been considering it so I won't have to deal with corrective lenses during pilot training. I'm a senior in AFROTC, commissioning in May, and headed to Sheppard sometime thereafter. However, I don't have any of my dates yet and likely won't have them for awhile. The only thing that I know is that I'm commissioning on May 15th. If it's possible to have the surgery, I'd like to have it within the next month or so. The only thing that worries me is that there's a certain post op timeline that would prevent me from being able to enter active duty or start any of my training (ASBC, IFS, etc.). I would love to have my eyes corrected, I just don't want to jeopardize anything with my slot.

Basically, is there some sort of reg that prohibits surgery after MFS is completed? If not, is there a prescribed timeline after surgery where I'd have to wait to commission, EAD, start training, etc.? Realizing that it'll be hard to get surgery after starting pilot training, I feel like I should do it now instead of dealing with contacts until I can find a break in flying status (which I assume would be quite a few years).

Thanks!

Guest goducks

I passed my FC1 physical last winter but want to know if the AF will pay for PRK once I'm on active duty (only a few weeks now). I've never worn glasses/contacts because my vision was 20/20 until my right eye got hit with a soccer ball a few years ago. Now it's like 20/30 or something in the one eye so I still don't use glasses, but the flight doc at Brooks said I'd need a cheapo pair of lenses (well, one lens and one piece of plain glass) for IFS. I'd rather not have to worry about glasses during IFS and UPT. Will I actually need the glasses with this kind of vision? I realize I would be cutting the recovery time pretty close to my TDY's (ASBC in Feb, IFS in May) and I know there's an even longer grounded-period post-op that might cut into IFS/UPT class dates.

Thanks.

If you are not 20/20 in one or both eyes, you will be required to use correction when you fly at UPT.

The AF won't pay for you to have PRK, but they will offer it to you within the military medical system when you are active. However, there are several limitations that you should be aware of. If you were to have PRK (or LASIK) today, you would have to re-accomplish the MFS portion of your flight physical and you wouldn't be eligible to do so until a year after surgery. Furthermore, you aren't allowed to have PRK during a training phase of your career. Thus, realistically you would need to wait until you are actively flying to do so. Having said that, the AF has certain medical guidelines that are followed regarding who they will treat. Basically, there needs to be enough correction to warrant performing the procedure. A general rule of thumb is that you need to be 20/40 or worse before they will offer surgery. Otherwise, the benefits don't outweigh the risks.

In your case, it doesn't sound like PRK is a good option at this time.

• 2 months later...

If you are not 20/20 in one or both eyes, you will be required to use correction when you fly at UPT.

Quick update:

Yeah I will be wearing a pair of flight glasses during UPT. I guess they aren't really required for IFS because I'm good enough to pass FAA standards. PRK (I don't want lasik, even though it's a 1 month, painless recovery) would put me on DNIF for only 3 months so the Doc said it might be worth trying to do after I graduate if I've got a while before my PCS.

• 5 weeks later...

Are there some Guard units that will not accept Lasik or does this post just need to be updated?

http://www.guardreservejobs.com/viewprofile.php?sel=profile&id_vac=388

"• Vision within current guidelines- This includes minimum vision standards as follows: minimum distant vision is 20/70 which must be corrected to 20/20; and minimum near vision is 20/30, corrected to 20/20. For those with a history of vision surgery, a waiver may be required. This applies to PRK only. LASIK surgery is not accepted. These criteria are constantly changing. If this area concerns you, please contact us for the latest revision."

Edited by iatro

Guest goducks

Are there some Guard units that will not accept Lasik or does this post just need to be updated?

http://www.guardreservejobs.com/viewprofile.php?sel=profile&id_vac=388

"• Vision within current guidelines- This includes minimum vision standards as follows: minimum distant vision is 20/70 which must be corrected to 20/20; and minimum near vision is 20/30, corrected to 20/20. For those with a history of vision surgery, a waiver may be required. This applies to PRK only. LASIK surgery is not accepted. These criteria are constantly changing. If this area concerns you, please contact us for the latest revision."

I believe that is old guidance. I know for a fact that LASIK is approved without restriction for AD and I'm 99% sure it's approved for both ANG and AFRC as well.

I believe that is old guidance. I know for a fact that LASIK is approved without restriction for AD and I'm 99% sure it's approved for both ANG and AFRC as well.

Again, might have changed but I just had PRK done March 2010 and I told them I was hoping to make it to UPT and they said that UPT is still only accepting PRK....not sure if they are correct or not but I didn't want to risk it so I went the PRK route..

Just an FYI for the guys looking at getting the procedure done by the AF, the surgeon will recommend the better procedure for you as an individual. 95% of the people I was down there with got PRK. You had to justify it to the surgeon himself if you wanted Lasik over his PRK recommendation and even then he didn't HAVE to perform the operation if he felt it wasn't going to be the best for you....at least thats what he told us lol...