PRK and LASIK Information

Container STS

• 4 months later...

I was recently selected as pilot candidate for an ANG KC-135 unit. I had LASIK performed over 2 years ago. The recruiter that is working on my paperwork for MEPs and Wright Patterson mentioned to me today that his checklist states "only PRK is acceptable for flight duties." He mentioned that he checked with some of the other officer accessions people and they weren't aware of an updated form. He is sending the form up to National Guard Bureau to see if there is an updated form. Has anyone else had similar issues? The waiver guide is very clear that LASIK is acceptable and it seems from this forum that others are not having issues with it.

I was recently selected as pilot candidate for an ANG KC-135 unit. I had LASIK performed over 2 years ago. The recruiter that is working on my paperwork for MEPs and Wright Patterson mentioned to me today that his checklist states "only PRK is acceptable for flight duties." He mentioned that he checked with some of the other officer accessions people and they weren't aware of an updated form. He is sending the form up to National Guard Bureau to see if there is an updated form. Has anyone else had similar issues? The waiver guide is very clear that LASIK is acceptable and it seems from this forum that others are not having issues with it.

I don't have the actual document at the moment, but I can vouch that your recruiter is totally wrong. The regs changed to allow LASIK in May 2007!

If you are talking about the CRS waiver checklist form, I have seen multiple copies.

When you get your appointment letter for your FC-1, they will provide you with a link to go to and submit your medical history. On that site, it has the link for the CRS waiver checklist, which has a box you check regarding which kind of surgery you had, then requires info for your pre-op and post op visits.

If you want to get a head start on the checklist (required for the waiver), PM me and I can send you a copy. I am doing my FC-1 in about a week and have the most recent copy they have provided.

EDIT: Start collecting all your LASIK paperwork now. Basically all the documentation associated with it, starting with the pre-op stuff. When you get scheduled for your FC-1, they (USAFSAM) are going to want that stuff like 45 days prior.

Edited by Kenny Powers

• 1 month later...

I am a junior in college and am an aspiring guard pilot. Thanks to all on this forum that have contributed valuable information. My vision is definitely not 20/70, and I will have to have LASIK surgery (1 year prior of course). The whole waiver process makes me pretty nervous, I want to fly. Having a medical hiccup would be devastating.

I've been researching Refractive Surgery waivers and ran across the latest Air Force Waiver Guide ( last updated 6-5-12). Here is an excerpt from the Guide:

The following clinical criteria must be met before permission to proceed and waiver is granted following CRS treatment in AASD personnel:

A. Age 21 or older.

I'm 20 years old. Does this mean I have be 21 to have the LASIK operation performed and qualify for the waiver? I have a surgery date (August 10) scheduled, and I need to cancel if necessary.

• 5 months later...

How does the AF feel about Lasik overseas, particularly Taiwan? As long as I have all my paperwork in order does anyone foresee any issues for a wavier? The machinery they use is the same as back home, as is the pre and post op exams but at about 1/2 the price, so I might as well get is done while I'm here.

How does the AF feel about Lasik overseas, particularly Taiwan? As long as I have all my paperwork in order does anyone foresee any issues for a wavier? The machinery they use is the same as back home, as is the pre and post op exams but at about 1/2 the price, so I might as well get is done while I'm here.

Are you active duty? On active flying status? If so, then you need to contact your flight medicine clinic and apply for permission to proceed, at which time they will 'vet' your eye center and tell if you if you can proceed or not. If you are anything but an FC I pilot, they will probably say yes. If you proceed on your own dime for whatever reason without USAFSAM permission to proceed, they will not be happy. I don't see why anybody would do that though, since it is essentially free (small ADSC) to get it done.

If you are a civilian and thinking about pilot training, I highly suggest using a US based center. During your physical, they will go over all of your documentation thoroughly. Although they are competent physicians over there in Taiwan, often times the language barrier and sheer distance from the homeland causes documentation problems, which will turn into a problem with your physical. Also see below:

The PRK vs LASIX debate for AF flying duty is too in depth to go into here. The AF still prefers PRK for pilots in most cases for a variety of reasons. I recommend that all flyers and flying applicants obtain a personal consultation with a service specific flight surgeon to obtain the latest recommendation on which one to obtain, how to proceed, etc.

• Upvote 1

Are you active duty? On active flying status? If so, then you need to contact your flight medicine clinic and apply for permission to proceed, at which time they will 'vet' your eye center and tell if you if you can proceed or not. If you are anything but an FC I pilot, they will probably say yes. If you proceed on your own dime for whatever reason without USAFSAM permission to proceed, they will not be happy. I don't see why anybody would do that though, since it is essentially free (small ADSC) to get it done.

If you are a civilian and thinking about pilot training, I highly suggest using a US based center. During your physical, they will go over all of your documentation thoroughly. Although they are competent physicians over there in Taiwan, often times the language barrier and sheer distance from the homeland causes documentation problems, which will turn into a problem with your physical. Also see below:

The PRK vs LASIX debate for AF flying duty is too in depth to go into here. The AF still prefers PRK for pilots in most cases for a variety of reasons. I recommend that all flyers and flying applicants obtain a personal consultation with a service specific flight surgeon to obtain the latest recommendation on which one to obtain, how to proceed, etc.

Thank you for the insight.

I'm currently in the inactive reserve, I was a loadmaster in the reserves but will very possibly be looking for a pilot gig when I return to the States this summer, so either way it's going to be on my own dime. My Mandarin is passable so I don't foresee an issue while actually getting the procedure done. My biggest concern is if all the paperwork is in Mandarin, it's not so much an issue to get it translated by a translation agency but if the AF will accept the official translations as suitable documentation (I would hope so as the State Department will accept translated academic credentials, but you know...).

In addition to the cost advantage I want get the procedure done as soon as possible in order to start the one year clock. As far as I know, most units won't even look at you until you have completed a one year post op check. The sooner that starts the sooner I can interview.

Is one more likely to get a waiver if they had PRK over LASIK?

On another note, is there an AF form that I should bring to the doctor here in Taiwan to fill out if I do get the procedure, or do I just hang on to everything and then hand it over for review when it comes time to file for a waiver?

Thanks again.

Edited by kchsload

On another note, is there an AF form that I should bring to the doctor here in Taiwan to fill out if I do get the procedure, or do I just hang on to everything and then hand it over for review when it comes time to file for a waiver? Thanks again.

There is a form; it looks like this (the first page):

http://www.specialtactics.com/pjcctprk.pdf

Although I think that is an older version.

You just have your doctor fill it out for each follow-up checkup to keep track over the course of your 1-year post-op period.

I had my doctor fill out that form, and I provided that form plus all the other documentation that was generated by the clinic, at my FC1. I was told that was all they needed. However I'm still waiting for final approval on my waiver so take it with a grain of salt I guess...

Thank you for the insight.

I'm currently in the inactive reserve, I was a loadmaster in the reserves but will very possibly be looking for a pilot gig when I return to the States this summer, so either way it's going to be on my own dime. My Mandarin is passable so I don't foresee an issue while actually getting the procedure done. My biggest concern is if all the paperwork is in Mandarin, it's not so much an issue to get it translated by a translation agency but if the AF will accept the official translations as suitable documentation (I would hope so as the State Department will accept translated academic credentials, but you know...).

In addition to the cost advantage I want get the procedure done as soon as possible in order to start the one year clock. As far as I know, most units won't even look at you until you have completed a one year post op check. The sooner that starts the sooner I can interview.

Is one more likely to get a waiver if they had PRK over LASIK?

On another note, is there an AF form that I should bring to the doctor here in Taiwan to fill out if I do get the procedure, or do I just hang on to everything and then hand it over for review when it comes time to file for a waiver?

Thanks again.

I'll PM you tomorrow... sorry I am caught up with something right now.

I'll PM you tomorrow... sorry I am caught up with something right now.

No worries, thank you for taking the time out to do so.

There is a form; it looks like this (the first page):

http://www.specialta...om/pjcctprk.pdf

Although I think that is an older version.

You just have your doctor fill it out for each follow-up checkup to keep track over the course of your 1-year post-op period.

I had my doctor fill out that form, and I provided that form plus all the other documentation that was generated by the clinic, at my FC1. I was told that was all they needed. However I'm still waiting for final approval on my waiver so take it with a grain of salt I guess...

Got it. Thank you.

No worries, thank you for taking the time out to do so.

Got it. Thank you.

Required items in the aeromedical summary for initial waiver for applicants for AASD:

A. History:

1. Address whether all clinical criteria prior to RS were met. If not, describe exceptions in detail.

2. Pre-op cycloplegic refraction.

3. Surgical procedure, date and location. Must be 12 months post-RS, at minimum, for waiver

consideration.

4. Assessment (negative and positive) of post-op symptoms of glare, halos, reduced night vision

and diplopia.

5. Eye medications usage, past and current.

6. Presence of other surgical or post-operative complications (e.g. corneal haze, flap striae, ocular

hypertension, etc.)

B. Physical (Current):

1. Uncorrected visual acuity high contrast (OVT) and Precision Vision 5% low contrast.

2. Best corrected visual acuity high contrast (OVT) and Precision Vision 5% low contrast.

3. Cycloplegic refraction and dilated fundus exam.

4. Two post-op refractions at least 2 weeks apart that shows stability (no more than 0.50 diopter

shift in manifest sphere or cylinder power).

5. Slit lamp exam which must include grading of haze.

6. Intraocular pressures (IOPs).

7. Depth perception (OVT-DP).

C. Attach copy of surgical documentation, post-RS evaluations and any RS-related incidents (this

will meet the requirement to send this info to the APM. The following is a link to the post-RS

evaluation form which should be used to report any RS related incidents:

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/groups/public/documents/webcontent/knowledgejunction.hcst?

functionalarea=RS_USAF&doctype=subpage&docname=CTB_070886.

4. Initial follow up in conjunction with FC I application could be greater than one year after surgery

(e.g. history of PRK or LASIK greater than one-year ago). ACS evaluation required for all LASIK

and >-5.50 diopters.

Table 2 Waiverable Examination Results

Examination Waiverable Results

Best corrected visual acuity (OVT) 20/20 or better each eye*

Precision Vision 5% low contrast chart 20/50 or better each eye*

Slit lamp exam LASIK – no striae or flap complications*

PRK – no more than trace corneal haze*

Refractive error Stable, no more than 0.50 diopter shift in

manifest sphere or cylinder refractive

power between two readings at least 2

weeks apart*

Intraocular pressure (IOP) Normal – 21 mmHg*

Fundus exam No new or previously unrecognized retinal

pathology†

Depth perception (OVT-DP) Line D, E or F. If fails and previously

waived for depth perception using AO

Vectograph then waived limits of that test.

See defective depth perception/stereopsis

waiver guide.

* If outside these limits, refer to local eye care provider and/or treating refractive surgery center. If

condition is unable to be resolved refer case to ACS.

† Work-up and submit waiver request for new diagnosis.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently sitting on a PRK waiver and had the procedure done back in '02. Now that It's been about 11 years, my eyes have slowly gotten worse to the point where I think I may need glasses. Since I'm more than likely going to need glasses in the near future to maintain 20/20, would a PRK touch-up even be an option for me now that I'm on active flying status, or will I be looking at glasses/contacts only?

• 3 months later...

For TRAINED ASSETTS:

"

7. Minimum DNIF of 1 month is required following LASIK. Initial waiver can be requested once applicable vision standards are met and refractive stability is established.

8. No minimum DNIF period is established following PRK, however, 2-3 months is generally required for enough corneal healing to occur to meet applicable vision standards and for refractive stability to occur.

"

INITIAL APPLICANTS do not use this standard--see the Waiver Guide.

Edited by deaddebate

For TRAINED ASSETTS: "

7. Minimum DNIF of 1 month is required following LASIK. Initial waiver can be requested once applicable vision standards are met and refractive stability is established.

8. No minimum DNIF period is established following PRK, however, 2-3 months is generally required for enough corneal healing to occur to meet applicable vision standards and for refractive stability to occur.

" INITIAL APPLICANTS do not use this standard--see the Waiver Guide.

I just had PRK 6 days ago and was put on a 4 month steroid drop taper for what was a minimal laser correction (-1.5/-1.75). Seems excessive, but was told by the doctor at the laser refractive surgery center that I could RTFS while still on the drops as long as my vision stabilized. This conflicted with my local eye doc who says he cannot send up the waiver until I am off the eye drops. Seems like they are confused.

You're not going to fly while still using the steroid drops. It's the difference between the guy doing the procedure and the home station that actually owns your medical care and waiver package. Also note the waiver is submitted AFTER you've completed the drops, and routing the package for signatures will take another 3-6 weeks.

Edited by deaddebate

I was medically GTG with all paperwork ready to submit 1 month post-LASIK. However, the med clinic's goal for my return to fly was 3 months based on averages and paperwork processes and voodoo. Guess how long my DNIF period was? 91 days. YMMV.

• 1 month later...

What would the post-op process be like if I did get PRK? Would I have to go through the FC1 physical all over again?

1 the same as everyone else.

2 no

As said above, your optometrist might not recommend the procedure, as the risk/benefit probably doesn't quite jive. But you'll never know until you ask.

Personally, I'd wait a decade or two, and you'll know if your vision worsens, which it likely will, and get it done then.

talk to your optometrist.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I received PRK last October and since then have been picked up by a guard unit. To spare some time I will make it brief.

My doc messed up on my left eye. At my 6mo exam I was sitting at 20/25 (20/20 -2) and my right was 20/20 (20/15 -3). As far as I know they corrected my astigmatism 100%

Now my issue is that I'm worried that that might be a DQ item when I go for my FC1 exam? Has anyone run into this problem? Only reason why I ask is because I might need glasses/ contacts again to correct it back (as long as it does not get any worse :banghead: )

Thanks for the time!