B*D*A

Latest Movies

I saw “Justice League” earlier this week and was surprised at how good it was. Excellent casting all-around, particularly the newest DC movie additions. Jason Momoa is edgy as Aquaman and Ezra Miller delivers a youthful exuberance, a la Spider-Man: Homecoming, as The Flash. Cyborg was also effective in overall film.

But Gal Gadot once again delivers a blockbuster in 2017 as Wonder Woman. Gratuitous ass shots of WW are offset with awkward shirtless moments of one male superhero.  

“Justice League” also cleans up and makes last year’s “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice” better by tying up loose ends and getting closure. 

This movie reminds me of the successful ingredients found in Marvel editions for years...excellent leading characters, humorous camaraderie shared between superheroes, and a laser focus on new character superpowers. All make this DC theater experience the best in years.

Grade: A

• Like 1

I strongly encourage Netflix subscribers to check out “Mudbound”. Powerful! A film that’ll punch you in the stomach several times, it’s starting to garner well-deserved Oscar talk. Phenomenal performances throughout the cast!

That is an incredible story and really makes me proud to be an American. Hopefully the film is well done.

First In

Jawbreaker

Horse Soldiers

If you haven't read them, they are 3 great books that cover the first few months of the war in Afghanistan. First In was written by the first CIA officer on the ground in the days following 9/11, and Jawbreaker was written by his replacement.  They cover the killing of Mike Spann and the friendly fire incident during the Battle of Qala-I-Jangi, to name a few.  All 3 books have some overlap but tell some amazing stories. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SocialD said:

First In

Jawbreaker

Horse Soldiers

If you haven't read them, they are 3 great books that cover the first few months of the war in Afghanistan. First In was written by the first CIA officer on the ground in the days following 9/11, and Jawbreaker was written by his replacement.  They cover the killing of Mike Spann and the friendly fire incident during the Battle of Qala-I-Jangi, to name a few.  All 3 books have some overlap but tell some amazing stories. 

Huh.. for the Kindle and Mass Market version Horse Soldiers has been renamed to "12-Strong."  Thanks for the list.

I'm not sure how "The Disaster Artist" would stand on its own without having seen "The Room."  Last week, my son cued up "The Room" with Rifftraxx  (snarky commentary from the same guys that did Mystery Science Theater 3000) and it was both painful and funny watching this train wreck of a movie.  The thoughts of A) who paid for this crap to be made? and B) who thought it was good or a good idea? kept running through my head.    We saw "The Disaster Artist" yesterday.  "The Disaster Artist" answers some of those questions and it's funnier having watched "The Room."  "The Disaster Artist" is the faithful recreation of the story of making that movie and a damn near exact recreation of some of the scenes from the movie (Just before the credits roll, they do a split screen showing clips from the original and "The Disaster Artist") so you get a taste of how truly bad the original movie was.  So, funny movie but funnier if you see both and I don't think it matters which you see first.