Latest Movies

B*D*A

Bunch of people sent me the link when I was flying today, it was rather surreal walking off the flight line watching the trailer for Top Gun 2.  The original was really what made me want to be a pilot as a young kid. After a really fun flight today and seeing that trailer was a awesome feeling. I hope the movie is as awesomely cheesy and filled with sweet flying as the original, and that it inspires and sparks the dream of flight in some of today’s kids like it did me. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ThreeHoler said:

Now we know how Fingers fixed the pilot shortage!

Top Gun 2 = influx of wannabes...

For the Navy.....

i was one that it influenced, I was not a wanna be, I can’t wait.

Edited by matmacwc

12 hours ago, matmacwc said:

For the Navy.....

i was one that it influenced, I was not a wanna be, I can’t wait.

With as many people on this board influenced by the original, myself included, I can only assume there will be some spillover to the Air Force as well

Everything old is new again, but this got me nerding  out as well.  If you are a fan of Star Trek, you’ll probably like this.  I love to see Jeri Ryan at it again.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood.

Loooooong movie.

Really liked Brad Pitt's character and performance.

No skin from Margot Robbie (which is a pity...)

Interesting handling of the Manson murders.

Unfortunate that Lena Dunham was in it (my keyboard threw up a little typing that...)

Vintage Tarantino.

• Upvote 1

Just watched the Netflix Original “The Red Sea Diving Resort” about the true story of Israel’s Operation Brothers that occurred between 1979-1984 to save Ethiopian Jews.  

Very interesting story that I’ve never heard of.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ad Astra....

Daddy issues in space is the most succinct description of the plot. 

Fair overall with good special effects and action sequences (questionable physics in some scenes) but overall story too drawn out to rate higher.  Wait till it is on Netflix streaming if you are thinking of going to see this.

1 hour ago, Clark Griswold said:

Ad Astra....

Daddy issues in space is the most succinct description of the plot. 

Fair overall with good special effects and action sequences (questionable physics in some scenes) but overall story too drawn out to rate higher.  Wait till it is on Netflix streaming if you are thinking of going to see this.

Concur. 

Good visuals in IMAX tho

Not a movie, but an HBO series.  Watched a couple of episodes of Chernobyl on my flight back from Germany.  Wished I had started watching it earlier (Delta movies suck!).  Gonna pay for it via Amazon, as it's well worth it!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Downton Abbey - took my wife because chicks dig tea parties, chinless wonders, and snobby society b1tches who change clothes 6-7 times a day.

Basic premise - King of England coming to visit, so everybody panic, clean everything, speak dramatically of the importance of such a visit, etc.  Think of any four-star visit to your base and the wing commander goes into "paint this rock, hide that airman!" mode and you've got it.

Pretty harmless waste of 2+ hours except for the obligatory, but completely unnecessary to the story, gay equality scene.

In return, I'll gain a date to Ford v Ferrari later this fall and Top Gun 2 whenever it is released.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Downton Abbey - took my wife because chicks dig tea parties, chinless wonders, and snobby society b1tches who change clothes 6-7 times a day.

Basic premise - King of England coming to visit, so everybody panic, clean everything, speak dramatically of the importance of such a visit, etc.  Think of any four-star visit to your base and the wing commander goes into "paint this rock, hide that airman!" mode and you've got it.

Pretty harmless waste of 2+ hours except for the obligatory, but completely unnecessary to the story, gay equality scene.

In return, I'll gain a date to Ford v Ferrari later this fall and Top Gun 2 whenever it is released.

2 for 1, not a bad deal. Which one are you going to take your boyfriend to?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Saw Midway today.

Not a bad flick once/if you get past the early 2000's quality CGI. Pearl Harbor crushed it in terms of graphics and that came out when again?

Otherwise the story started back in the mid-30's, then Pearl Harbor, then touched a tad on the Doolittle Raids, and finally onto the Coral Sea and Midway.

Hello Cinephiles,

I saw “Midway” in theaters last night. It had its fare share of pros and cons but I was satisfied with the film. On a Macro scale, I felt it successful and competent in capturing, in one picture, the chronologically significant events leading up to and following the attack on peak harbor, I.e. Oil - Pear Harbor Attack - Doolittle Raid - Coral Islands - Midway. There were many creative liberties added which I believe degrade from the films production quality but don’t infringe on the representation of historical events or their importance. I believe this film is perfect for museum type theatre settings. This would be an ideal film to inspire younger and more moldable viewers with its spotlight on duty and service.

I particularly enjoyed the portrait of naval aviation - it’s dangers, as well as the theme of bravery as torpedo bombers & dive bombers attacked their targets with great sacrifice and attrition. Often pilots faced little to no chance of recovery IF able to bail out. 

Overall, I give the film a 7/10, out of respect for history. I believe my time was well spent in watching and do recommend. Perhaps too, you more-than-one brain-cell types can use this as an opportunity to get briefed on the Pacific War - reference “The Admirals” by Borneman.

P.S. I find it very “homo-bro” how the main character and his buddy are constantly hugging and touching. Would recommend sitting one seat or more alway from your bros while in viewing.

Edited by Nike
Correction.
  • Upvote 1

Hello Cinephiles,

Regarding “Ford V. Ferrari”. Good film about Americans beating the Europeans at their own game. Merica!  Do you even need to know more?

Can be slow and extra dramatic at some times but...ya know...gotta appeal to the masses. More represents the clash between driver/engineer vs corporate committees than Ford vs Ferrari but a good film non the less. I rate a 6/10. I believe the film will be welcomed by the racing community as it shows the true spirit of the driver and the engineers. Always striving to expand and often exceed the envelope.

GM might have to take ANOTHER one of those bail outs after this propaganda...

Edited by Nike

1 hour ago, Nike said:

more represents the clash between driver/engineer vs corporate committees than Ford vs Ferrari

Probably because it’s called Le Mans ‘66 everywhere else, really is more that story. They just retitled it for America because of marketing. 

2 hours ago, Nike said:

Hello Cinephiles,

Regarding “Ford V. Ferrari”. Good film about Americans beating the Europeans at their own game. Merica!  Do you even need to know more?

Can be slow and extra dramatic at some times but...ya know...gotta appeal to the masses. More represents the clash between driver/engineer vs corporate committees than Ford vs Ferrari but a good film non the less. I rate a 6/10. I believe the film will be welcomed by the racing community as it shows the true spirit of the driver and the engineers. Always striving to expand and often exceed the envelope.

GM might have to take ANOTHER one of those bail outs after this propaganda...

A glowing review, complete with a prediction of a fast changing automotive industry, 6 outta 10. This man EPRs.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1