Latest Movies

B*D*A

On 6/6/2019 at 11:24 AM, cragspider said:

It should be a good movie. But I’d have to agree with M2 on that Rush is one if not the best racing movie Hollywood has put out. 

I revisited Days of Thunder recently, and I'm not sure if it's just nostalgia, but I really like how that movie looks.

At first, I thought this would be a cliched movie; brash, hotshot 2Lt Benny Jones graduates from Army flight school in 1969 and gets selected to fly the hot new AH-1 Cobra gunship.

Arriving in-country, his gray-haired squadron commander recognizes himself in the young pilot, but knows that the stakes are for keeps in the 'Nam in 1969.  So the arrogant Lt is paired with the grizzled CWO4 Snake McArthur as his co-pilot/gunner in the lethal Cobra.

At first, the confusing chaotic situation of troops in contact, smoke, haze, humidity, fast jet movers overhead also dropping ordnance, all seems too much for young Jones.

But he quickly gets the hang of it all under Snake's tutelage; maybe too well.  Snake soon finds himself in situations that are hairy even for him thanks to his a/c's willingness to hang it all out for the grunts under the gun on the ground.  

Soon, Jones' finds his favorite weapons are the various flavors of rocket pods that can hang from the stub wings.  In particular, the 2.75 HVAR and the flechettes are his favorite.  His skill is such that he can fire singles and, more often than not, score a shack with that shot.

He's become "Rocketman."

Which would be a much better movie than the ode to over the top celebration of the homosexual life combined with the age-old story of rock star comes from nothing, gets famous, goes through every drug known to man, gets used by the hangers-on, then sobers up, and Oh, and his daddy didn't love him epic that is the Elton John biopic of the same name.

Which I had promised my wife and artsy daughter that I'd take them to.

I need whisky and a couple of hookers to get my man card back.

Just...no...

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, brickhistory said:

At first, I thought this would be a cliched movie; brash, hotshot 2Lt Benny Jones graduates from Army flight school in 1969 and gets selected to fly the hot new AH-1 Cobra gunship.

Arriving in-country, his gray-haired squadron commander recognizes himself in the young pilot, but knows that the stakes are for keeps in the 'Nam in 1969.  So the arrogant Lt is paired with the grizzled CWO4 Snake McArthur as his co-pilot/gunner in the lethal Cobra.

At first, the confusing chaotic situation of troops in contact, smoke, haze, humidity, fast jet movers overhead also dropping ordnance, all seems too much for young Jones.

But he quickly gets the hang of it all under Snake's tutelage; maybe too well.  Snake soon finds himself in situations that are hairy even for him thanks to his a/c's willingness to hang it all out for the grunts under the gun on the ground.  

Soon, Jones' finds his favorite weapons are the various flavors of rocket pods that can hang from the stub wings.  In particular, the 2.75 HVAR and the flechettes are his favorite.  His skill is such that he can fire singles and, more often than not, score a shack with that shot.

He's become "Rocketman."

Which would be a much better movie than the ode to over the top celebration of the homosexual life combined with the age-old story of rock star comes from nothing, gets famous, goes through every drug known to man, gets used by the hangers-on, then sobers up, and Oh, and his daddy didn't love him epic that is the Elton John biopic of the same name.

Which I had promised my wife and artsy daughter that I'd take them to.

I need whisky and a couple of hookers to get my man card back.

Just...no...

Brick,

There are some things that even a father and husband should just say NO to. I have to give you an Unsat for situational awareness, I hate to, but you should have seen this coming (sts).

😒

• Upvote 1

I am surprised no one has mentioned the new Godzilla yet...

I thought it was a fun 2hrs, typical Godzilla and stupid humans but overall fun.  Plenty of Ospreys in it and a neat B-2 hybrid that stretches belief, then again we are talking about 100 foot tall radiation breathing lizards.

Edited by RegularJoe

21 hours ago, brickhistory said:

(Brick's excellent review)...

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody on an overseas flight a few weeks back, and cannot fathom why everyone went gaga over it. 

If anything, it showed even more how fucked up Freddy Mercury was.  Sure, he had a gifted talent as a singer and entertainer; but other than that, he was a train wreck.

And Rocketman appears to be the same shit regurgitated...

13 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

HULU

Just say goodbye to your families for the next few days, I warned you.

Nearly watched the movie for the first time last night, should i watch it before watching the series? Or don't bother?

29 minutes ago, ayz33 said:

Nearly watched the movie for the first time last night, should i watch it before watching the series? Or don't bother?

The movie is a classic that you should have already seen.  Same goes for Dr Strangelove.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just watch this one on prime with my wife. I vaguely remember this attack but it didn't get much media coverage in the west. Thought it was pretty good insight into how terrorism can just destroy the lives of innocent people. Also a good look at some of the best heroism in humanity.

Edited by FLEA
  • Upvote 1

On 6/28/2019 at 3:10 PM, torqued said:

Lots of WWII aviation love from Hollywood recently. 

Trailer looks good, but Unfortunately, it’s directed by Roland Emmerich.

Which means I’ll likely rent it at home. Maybe.

Special effects/CGI needs some serious work. 

• 2 weeks later...

Top gun has to be the most unrealistic, inaccurate, and down right ridiculous aviation movie ever.  

I can’t wait to see it.

Edited by JimNtexas
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Considering how great movie making has become in recent years, I am damn excited to see that movie. Navy jokes aside, Top Gun is the movie I grew up watching every single day, and I can’t wait to see the new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1