Latest Movies

B*D*A

On 11/12/2018 at 10:21 AM, Tank said:

Saw Bohemian Rhapsody - highly recommend.  

I have mixed feelings on this. I loved the idea. I thought the casting was great. The acting was decent. But the writing felt shallow. The movie needed more depth in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the movie, I just thought it could have been a little better. 

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Stitch said:

No kidding, looks like I'll have to take the kids to this one. SO much of the 20th century (WWII, Cold War, etc...) was shaped by this war. 

Almost all of it.  I think we are just now beginning to see the world start to shake off the effects of this conflict and the ones that were a direct result of it.

On 11/27/2018 at 7:42 PM, pawnman said:

The latest Coen brothers movie is out on Netflix.  Don't even need to leave the house.

Watched it on my last overseas flight a week ago.  It's a typical Coen movie in that it is highly creative and entertaining; but essentially it's several Western-related short stories strung together.  Definitely worth a watch though...

On 11/27/2018 at 7:26 PM, 17D_guy said:

There is also a documentary on Youtube that has this done, though not to such a high level.  It's about the rise of communism and Stalin.  It's fantastic.

Prior that that series there was one called Apocalypse World War I that featured a lot of colorized footage as well; but Peter Jackson's effort goes far beyond that by adjusting the film speed to realistic levels and adding audio through lip readers.

I will not miss They Shall Not Grow Old, I've been looking forward to it since news of its release first came out!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you haven’t seen Free Solo yet, I highly recommend it. The story being told is engrossing and even though you know the dude ends up climbing El Cap successfully, I’d be willing to bet you’re still holding your breath watching him dangle 2000’ above terra firma with little more than a thumb hold on a sheer rock face and a karate kick across a gap. 

• Upvote 1

Watched Apollo 11 at an IMAX last night. 

There's no narration. The story, launch through landing, is told through original footage and audio, with some music added. Many of the film scenes I had never seen before. Almost all of it was restored to look as if it were shot yesterday on UHD digital cameras. The Saturn 5 launch will blow your mind. The whole movie was F'n inspiring. Best theater experience I've had in years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

Captain Marvel was pretty good.  Slight Wasn't man hating and well done female empowerment.

Plus, lots of "vintage" AF stuff all over it.

(slight spoilers to follow)

Generally, I dislike prequels, it always feels rushed and parts are shoehorned in. "Ooh, look, this is the connection to that other film you like!" It felt forced and the character development and emotional hook/connection with the audience is non-existent, both of which are why Marvel movies are good.

It isn't as bad as Thor 2 or Iron Man 3, I'll put around Dr. Strange. However, I, the wife, and the kids all enjoyed the movie.

I disagree with @17D_guy (noted above). One scene involving a random nameless background actor I thought was unnecessary. It could have been resolved the same way to advance the story without that particular dialogue (little too close to current feminist complaints of being patronized). Some of the interactions between Captain Marvel and Nick Fury felt choppy. Probably a rushed editing job and my dislike of prequels. The soundtrack was the soundtrack of my Middle and High School. "Just a Girl" by No Doubt was too on the nose though.  Additionally, I don't understand some of the decisions made regarding the Mar-Vell character itself nor the Skrulls. I'll have to wait for more movies to see if thy will eventually resemble their traditional role in the Marvel canon. I enjoyed the visual theme of the hero always standing back up. It was consistent throughout the film and a good metaphor for real life.

I will also caveat all that by saying that while not near as bad as it's been reported in some outlets, I thoroughly enjoyed it, there were some issues...however I don't think I would have noticed half of them if it's media relations had been handled different. Just my opinion, but the controversy is mostly self induced. It's a good popcorn flick whose faults would have been passed over had the public not been keyed in to look for them.

Overall: Solid B+. Go see it as a matinee.

Edited by GKinnear
I don't grammar 2 gud
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 3/6/2019 at 7:54 PM, matmacwc said:

I liked this one on Prime:

I was so pissed by the time that movie ended I wanted to dig Johnson and Mcnamara back up and kick their ass just for good measure. As many of them pointed out, that was a complete shit-show from the beginning. Respect for the men who fought with their hands tied behind their backs!  I became an AF pilot because of those men who fought in Viet Nam. In 1973 as a 10 year old I got to sit in an F-4 (18th TFW deployed) at CCK Air Base in Taiwan and speak with one of the pilots and it was game on from there.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

The movie has been out for a while now, but First Man is so underrated in my opinion.  Not a typical sexy Hollywood movie, but it features a lot of quality actors, great acting, and many many memorable scenes. 

The thing that resonated with me the most is the dangers and the pains associated with the flight test community.  I still remember the roads at Edwards named after the test pilots.  Brought back memories of sitting through the TRBs and SRBs, and the pre-briefs before stepping...

Can't stop watching this sequence over and over again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2