Latest Movies

B*D*A

On 6/11/2018 at 10:43 AM, ATIS said:

I hear Hereditary is shit your pants scary.

Any recce on this one yet?

ATIS

I didn't find it scary until the last 20 minutes or so. Suspenseful. Thrilling. Emotional. Quite a few "Oh fuck!" moments that you weren't expecting. A ton of foreshadowing and clues given out, but you have to pay attention to the details. 

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Not so much as a horror, but because I think Toni Collette did an outstanding job of acting in this and I liked following the trail of crumbs that lead to the conclusion.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Equalizer II: Meh.

Supposedly, the Equalizer saga is going to be a trilogy.  I thought the first one was really well done.  A great action/vigilante movie where every scene kept you engaged.

Equalizer II?  Still fun to watch, but not nearly as engaging.  Some plot elements that didn't really go anywhere.  Felt like a mish-mash of scenes, interspersed with Denzel Washington kicking ass.

22 hours ago, Blue said:

Equalizer II: Meh.

Supposedly, the Equalizer saga is going to be a trilogy.  I thought the first one was really well done.  A great action/vigilante movie where every scene kept you engaged.

Equalizer II?  Still fun to watch, but not nearly as engaging.  Some plot elements that didn't really go anywhere.  Felt like a mish-mash of scenes, interspersed with Denzel Washington kicking ass.

Concur. Seemed clearly aimed at a older demo.

• 3 weeks later...

The Meg, it's exactly what it appears to be.  As long as you go into with those expectations, it's a simple, awful and fun movie.

Note - I'm getting tired of every side-protagonist being Chinese.  I get it, the market is huge over there and Movie executives gotta eat.  But they had the Communist flag shown twice at the end of this flick, and no other flags shown at all. 

On 8/12/2018 at 10:18 PM, 17D_guy said:

The Meg, it's exactly what it appears to be.  As long as you go into with those expectations, it's a simple, awful and fun movie.

Note - I'm getting tired of every side-protagonist being Chinese.  I get it, the market is huge over there and Movie executives gotta eat.  But they had the Communist flag shown twice at the end of this flick, and no other flags shown at all. 

Quint, Hooper, and Chief Brody used their giant red, white, and blue balls to save Amity Island with nary a Commie in sight.

Farewell and adieu to Quint though...

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 9/2/2018 at 1:48 PM, di1630 said:

I thought the Jack Ryan series on Prime Video was pretty decent minus the sub plot of the mentally unstable RPA guy. Lots of cranium shaking whenever they gave that part screen time.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I'm still not quite sure what the point of that subplot was in the overall story, other than having screentime for droids in a series about the CIA.

🙄🙄🙄

18 hours ago, Premo said:

I'm still not quite sure what the point of that subplot was in the overall story, other than having screentime for droids in a series about the CIA.

🙄🙄🙄

Just finished the last episode.  I think it has great potential, but I am scratching my nugget on that subplot as well. 

31 minutes ago, SocialD said:

Just finished the last episode.  I think it has great potential, but I am scratching my nugget on that subplot as well. 

Yeah, complete head scratcher.  The weekend trip to Syria with a bag of cash was icing on the cake. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, uhhello said:

Yeah, complete head scratcher.  The weekend trip to Syria with a bag of cash was icing on the cake. 

Personally, I'm looking forward to the storyline next season of him getting his clearance revoked, and his Article 15 with General Discharge, or maybe an FEB.

An acceptable alternative would be the story of him getting kidnapped by ISIS and starring in his own special internet murder video.

50 minutes ago, bfargin said:

And, when did Admiral James Greer become a standard civilian and convert to islam?

This is a storyline that I didn’t like.  Greer was a great character in the books and didn’t need to be changed. Every time I read the books, I always heard James Earl Jones in my head. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

If they wanted a modernized Jack Ryan universe series, they really could have gone through much less trouble inventing all of this new-story. The Jack Ryan Jr series of books is post-9/11 and actually insightfully touches on a host of modern security concerns. For instance, Russia annexing territory...before Putin actually did. 

https://www.goodreads.com/series/63669-jack-ryan-jr

2 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

If they wanted a modernized Jack Ryan universe series, they really could have gone through much less trouble inventing all of this new-story. The Jack Ryan Jr series of books is post-9/11 and actually insightfully touches on a host of modern security concerns. For instance, Russia annexing territory...before Putin actually did. 

https://www.goodreads.com/series/63669-jack-ryan-jr

Have you read them all, do they hold up to the originals?  I wasn't a fan when I heard about how they continued the series, but love the original Clancy books.

7 minutes ago, 17D_guy said:

Have you read them all, do they hold up to the originals?  I wasn't a fan when I heard about how they continued the series, but love the original Clancy books.

I’m 6 or 7 books in. They’re more Rainbow Six-like than Sum of All Fears, for instance, but I think enjoyable reads. The geopolitical situations are almost worth it.