Latest Movies

B*D*A

On 2/26/2018 at 2:42 AM, di1630 said:

So the other night my wife who never reads reviews picks a movie on iTunes because she likes the people in it.

“Beatriz at Dinner”

Salma Hayek, John Lithgow, I was thinking tolerable. Worst movie ever IMO but interesting for those of you with leftist friends who are always n a constant state of depression post 2016

Overview:

Poor minority masseuse who’s goat died that morning has a car break down stranding her at dinner with rich 1%ers who despite their attempt to make her feel welcome, their micro aggressions throughout the night make her self realize the world is horrible because of greedy rich people doing rich people things. After fantasizing about stabbing the richest white guy there, she instead drowns herself in the ocean...all while having flashbacks of her goat dying because of rich people.

I’m making it sound better than it was.

Ouch, that sounds miserable. In my opinion most movies these days are crap anyway and that one sounds like a doozie.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:20 PM, Duck said:

Just saw Game Night. It was okay. Not the worst movie I’ve seen, but I have no clue how it got such high ratings from RT.

Russian fake accounts and hacking.

• 4 weeks later...

Pacific Rim 2 -

Fun addition to the original.  If you liked the first, this one goes a little more light heartd, but has some interesting story decisions that kept me invested throughout.

Ready Player One -

Typical Spielberg quality with a mind-numbingly simple story trying to get by on cramming as many past pop-culture references as possible on a screen. Go see it either late, or after a few weeks to avoid the teenagers and weaboo's who think they're hip screaming when they see their favorite Pokeman.

I liked Ready Player One, but maybe I'm not quite as old and grumpy as 17D_guy.  I enjoyed the book, so I knew the movie was going to be a non-stop stream of pop-culture references.

My assessment is that it is a well-executed action movie with pretty good special effects, but if you don't have a nerd streak, you're probably not going to get much out of it.  That said, if you read and loved the book, be aware that there are DRAMATIC changes in the story.  They almost just took the setting and characters, then built a new story for the movie.  On the plus side - you don't have to worry about spoilers.  On the minus side - most of the changes were not for the better.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

Imagine how I felt when they said all the data would be saved on a thermometer.

To be fair, it looked like a tablet they were using as a thermometer.  But a tablet is something the FBI would have taken.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Kiloalpha said:

Anyone seen Super Troopers 2? Curious if it can live up to the first movie...

I loved it, best sequel I've seen in recent history.

Full disclosure I went after a pretty hard day of drinking, so that could have skewed my opinion, but they still made me laugh damn hard.

10 hours ago, DEVIL said:

Full disclosure I went after a pretty hard day of drinking, so that could have skewed my opinion, but they still made me laugh damn hard.

2!

3!

Down range viewing I recommend Workaholics, Deadwood, Westworld, Back Door Sluts 9 (saved in a folder titled “Masters Work”), and the opening speech to Patton set as your alarm clock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 5/2/2018 at 6:45 PM, Kenny Powers said:

Down range and need some movie recommendations from Netflix or Amazon.

I watched "Lincoln" on Amazon last night. Pretty damn good. Daniel Day Lewis did an outstanding job playing Abe. His speeches and storytelling were pretty compelling.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1