Latest Movies

B*D*A

17 hours ago, JeremiahWeed said:

Noted.

So, when someone posts a trailer to an as yet to be released movie and the comment is "that movie was incredible" we're supposed to assume he meant the first one?  Nah.... a little clarification would have made it a bit more clear.  YMMV.

I meant the first one was great.

14 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Agreed.  I assumed the original poster warped space-time, saw the summer-release movie, then posted his feedback here.  I’m very disappointed to realize he was referencing the already released movie and not discussing future events; in the future I’d appreciate posters tell me whether or not they’re talking about the, uh, future.

In the multiverse there are an infinite number of Termy in an infinite number of realities. It’s entirely possible one has a dimensional portal and traveled from one where the sequel is already released to post about it. Jeremiah is confronting this reality of not knowing which of the infinite Termy are posting. 

Side note: maybe gearpig had an infinite Ricks problem. What do the gearpigs know?

Edited by SurelySerious

In the interests of being kind and considerate to my wife who will go to my movies, I took her and my home from college daughter to see The Greatest Showman.

Fully expected to get an Elton John/Vegas Cirque du Soliel/Disneyesque type flick and I wasn't disappointed.  As the Mrs was a former Tops In Blue performer (I'm not kidding and no, that wasn't a good use of O-3 pay, but it was also well before we met) and my daughter is a professional dancer (ballet, not the pole), the song/dance thing was for them; I can endure.

What I didn't expect, and really hated, was the relentless social justice message.  Not just an obligatory insertion of the "we're all equal despite being freaks" scene, but from nearly start to finish.  If anyone else has the misfortune to see this film, I'd argue you can update your various Green Dot training/CBTs.

At least the movie got a happy ending.  Looks like all I'm getting is a Jamison's and water...

• Haha 2

On 12/27/2017 at 5:04 PM, brickhistory said:

In the interests of being kind and considerate to my wife who will go to my movies, I took her and my home from college daughter to see The Greatest Showman.

Fully expected to get an Elton John/Vegas Cirque du Soliel/Disneyesque type flick and I wasn't disappointed.  As the Mrs was a former Tops In Blue performer (I'm not kidding and no, that wasn't a good use of O-3 pay, but it was also well before we met) and my daughter is a professional dancer (ballet, not the pole), the song/dance thing was for them; I can endure.

What I didn't expect, and really hated, was the relentless social justice message.  Not just an obligatory insertion of the "we're all equal despite being freaks" scene, but from nearly start to finish.  If anyone else has the misfortune to see this film, I'd argue you can update your various Green Dot training/CBTs.

At least the movie got a happy ending.  Looks like all I'm getting is a Jamison's and water...

Ironic, given PT Barnum's exploitation of those people in real life.

18 hours ago, matmacwc said:

LA->Vegas was f'ing funny.

Yep, we were pretty impressed with it as well.  McDermott and Peter Stormare have great characters,  and Kim Matula is easy on the eyes.  Even Nathan Lee Graham (Todd from Zoolander) does well with being funny but not the usual cram-it-down-your-throat (phrasing) gay flight attendant.  My son even recognized Nathan Kress, who played Freddie on iCarly.

It has all the makings of a great show, hopefully they can sustain it!

• 2 weeks later...

Saw "12 Strong" last night and thought it was OK. Over-the-top acting by Hemsworth, William Fichtner and Rob Riggle gives the film a poor start. Michael Pena is good, but it's Michael Shannon as the CWO that gives the movie any semblance of authenticity and realism.

Best parts were the team's initial embed with N. Alliance, interactions with CIA bubba already established in-country, and the visual look of Afghanistan (thank you, New Mexico).

The story lacks the excitement and concern for these dozen guys caught in a tough spot and isolated that I think Lone Survivor and American Sniper capture much better in their big-screen projects. AF and ground-pounders will be disappointed in the depiction of B-52 close air support...yeah, there's some "danger close" terminology but the overall process seems way too dumbed down for civilian consumption. Lastly, the real stars are the four-legged variety and this aspect is hardly covered once the team mounts up and moves out...which is too bad, because I think the horse soldier revelation was one of the most surprising stories coming out in the weeks following 9/11 and our initial boots on the ground in Afghanistan.

D2644332-ACCD-450F-9F63-AC040F5E8016.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

Bright was a fun Will Smith flick. Wouldn't have been upset if I'd paid for it.

I was less impressed.

I really wanted to like it, and felt it had great potential; but overall it fell way short of the mark.

Of course, it must've impressed someone as a sequel is already allegedly being planned and possibly even a franchise...

Just saw The 15:17 to Paris.   Just...terrible.  When I saw the trailers I was skeptical about how they could make an entire movie out of an isolated event, but this is from the same guy who did the same sort of thing with Sully.

Nope.

Part of it was the acting - just bad all around. It was a risky move to use the actual guys playing themselves, and it did not play out well.  So much of the dialogue seemed forced, which is ironic since it really was their own.  The kids that portrayed their younger selves were awful as well.  From 15 minutes in I wanted to leave, and it only got worse as it went on.  By about an hour in, it was just painful - it's seemed like I was just following them around Europe on a pointless documentation of everywhere they had been.  There was an overt point to be made that everything in their life had led to this point, and there were several scenes that tied to the attack with things they had done or learned, but it was just too much.   The actual train scene was pretty impressive, albeit short, and honestly if the movie had only been 20 minutes long, I really wouldn't have had any issue with it.

Not surprising, Act of Valor demonstrated that using non-actors doesn't add to a movie.  If anything, it detracts.

Not surprisingly, both have/are getting lackluster reviews.  Eastwood should have known better.

By the way, I wasn't impressed by American Sniper or Lone Survivor either.   I guess I am too critical of combat-related movies.  Black Hawk Down is probably one of the few contemporary movies I've felt was fairly accurate even though I know some aspects of it were also changed for entertainment's sake... 

On 2/10/2018 at 2:10 PM, M2 said:

I was less impressed.

I really wanted to like it, and felt it had great potential; but overall it fell way short of the mark.

Of course, it must've impressed someone as a sequel is already allegedly being planned and possibly even a franchise...

I think I grew up with more Orcs and Fairies than you did.

Darkest Hour.

Uplifting story of a young black girl trying to pay her way through college by working the pole yet keep a positive view of humanity...

What?!  Oh, sorry.  That was a pay per view movie plot...my bad.

Real movie did a good job of keeping what is essentially a historical-ish and 98% talking between old English men movie interesting.  

Of note, nearly all of the English characters were portrayed as having lisps.  I knew Churchill had one, but not the stuttering King George VI, Viscount Halifax, et al.

Not a good first date movie unless she's a history buff or over 50, but a well done piece of film

Gary Oldman turns in another outstanding performance in mannerisms, physical looks, and capturing the spirit of the subject as Churchill.

• Upvote 1

The Phantom Thread.

It was...

I can't...

Just...no.

I'm old so I am trying to recall a worse movie, but so far failing.

The only positive thing about this movie is that time slowed down during it so my lifespan will have increased by that amount.

I can't believe that Daniel Day Lewis is riding off into the sunset on the back of this gigantic POS.

I'm old so I am trying to recall a worse movie...

So the other night my wife who never reads reviews picks a movie on iTunes because she likes the people in it.

“Beatriz at Dinner”

Salma Hayek, John Lithgow, I was thinking tolerable. Worst movie ever IMO but interesting for those of you with leftist friends who are always n a constant state of depression post 2016

Overview:

Poor minority masseuse who’s goat died that morning has a car break down stranding her at dinner with rich 1%ers who despite their attempt to make her feel welcome, their micro aggressions throughout the night make her self realize the world is horrible because of greedy rich people doing rich people things. After fantasizing about stabbing the richest white guy there, she instead drowns herself in the ocean...all while having flashbacks of her goat dying because of rich people.

I’m making it sound better than it was.
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, di1630 said:

So the other night my wife who never reads reviews picks a movie on iTunes because she likes the people in it.

“Beatriz at Dinner”

Salma Hayek, John Lithgow, I was thinking tolerable. Worst movie ever IMO but interesting for those of you with leftist friends who are always n a constant state of depression post 2016

Overview:

Poor minority masseuse who’s goat died that morning has a car break down stranding her at dinner with rich 1%ers who despite their attempt to make her feel welcome, their micro aggressions throughout the night make her self realize the world is horrible because of greedy rich people doing rich people things. After fantasizing about stabbing the richest white guy there, she instead drowns herself in the ocean...all while having flashbacks of her goat dying because of rich people.

I’m making it sound better than it was.

Sounds like the DNC platform

• Haha 3