Latest Movies

B*D*A

I saw “Justice League” earlier this week and was surprised at how good it was. Excellent casting all-around, particularly the newest DC movie additions. Jason Momoa is edgy as Aquaman and Ezra Miller delivers a youthful exuberance, a la Spider-Man: Homecoming, as The Flash. Cyborg was also effective in overall film.

But Gal Gadot once again delivers a blockbuster in 2017 as Wonder Woman. Gratuitous ass shots of WW are offset with awkward shirtless moments of one male superhero.  

“Justice League” also cleans up and makes last year’s “Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice” better by tying up loose ends and getting closure. 

This movie reminds me of the successful ingredients found in Marvel editions for years...excellent leading characters, humorous camaraderie shared between superheroes, and a laser focus on new character superpowers. All make this DC theater experience the best in years.

Grade: A

• Like 1

First In

Jawbreaker

Horse Soldiers

If you haven't read them, they are 3 great books that cover the first few months of the war in Afghanistan. First In was written by the first CIA officer on the ground in the days following 9/11, and Jawbreaker was written by his replacement.  They cover the killing of Mike Spann and the friendly fire incident during the Battle of Qala-I-Jangi, to name a few.  All 3 books have some overlap but tell some amazing stories. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SocialD said:

First In

Jawbreaker

Horse Soldiers

If you haven't read them, they are 3 great books that cover the first few months of the war in Afghanistan. First In was written by the first CIA officer on the ground in the days following 9/11, and Jawbreaker was written by his replacement.  They cover the killing of Mike Spann and the friendly fire incident during the Battle of Qala-I-Jangi, to name a few.  All 3 books have some overlap but tell some amazing stories. 

Huh.. for the Kindle and Mass Market version Horse Soldiers has been renamed to "12-Strong."  Thanks for the list.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how "The Disaster Artist" would stand on its own without having seen "The Room."  Last week, my son cued up "The Room" with Rifftraxx  (snarky commentary from the same guys that did Mystery Science Theater 3000) and it was both painful and funny watching this train wreck of a movie.  The thoughts of A) who paid for this crap to be made? and B) who thought it was good or a good idea? kept running through my head.    We saw "The Disaster Artist" yesterday.  "The Disaster Artist" answers some of those questions and it's funnier having watched "The Room."  "The Disaster Artist" is the faithful recreation of the story of making that movie and a damn near exact recreation of some of the scenes from the movie (Just before the credits roll, they do a split screen showing clips from the original and "The Disaster Artist") so you get a taste of how truly bad the original movie was.  So, funny movie but funnier if you see both and I don't think it matters which you see first.

Star Wars was pretty good.  Go see it.

I’ll second that, I liked Rogue One more than Force Awakens but this one will probably be my favorite of the new movies now. This one actually had me guessing what was going to happen next which seems like a rarity these days with movies.

Edit: forgot to finish my sentence

1 hour ago, baileynme said:

I’ll second that, I liked Rogue One more than Force Awakens but this one will probably be my favorite of the new movies now. This one actually had me guessing what was going to happen next which seems like a rarity these days with movies.

Wait, you mean they didn't recycle every scene from previous Star Wars movies? At least tell me they had a giant death star that a person who had never seen a flying machine before blows up.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bfargin said:

Wait, you mean they didn't recycle every scene from previous Star Wars movies? At least tell me they had a giant death star that a person who had never seen a flying machine before blows up.

If you're refering to Luke, as I recall he used to bullseye swamprats in his T-16. He was playing with a model of it while lamenting his lame farm life to a pair of desert find robots.  So yeah, in our world, if you can drive a 4 wheeler, you can pilot an F-22 in no time.

21 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

If you're refering to Luke, as I recall he used to bullseye swamprats in his T-16. He was playing with a model of it while lamenting his lame farm life to a pair of desert find robots.  So yeah, in our world, if you can drive a 4 wheeler, you can pilot an F-22 in no time.

More like flying a biplane, but the point remains.

It's also a good example of how using too much force in a counter-insurgency creates new enemies. In the opening of Episode IV, Luke is being his uncle for permission to apply to the Imperial Academy. By indiscriminately targeting civilians, Darth Vader turns someone who would have been a decent TIE pilot into the Empire's worst enemy.

On 7/22/2017 at 8:19 PM, ATIS said:

Dunkirk tonight.  So So IMO.  Cinematography was good.  Story line and phasing of movie takes some getting used to.  Dialog hard to hear/understand at some points.  If you know the history of this situation, you can make it all work.  Anyone that doesn't (like my smoking hot blonde wife sitting next to me)....she would have been lost if I hadn't explained what happened in a historical sense at Dunkirk (before the movie).

For the flying parts, most excellent Spitfire action that any aviator will enjoy.....up to a point.  Not going to spoil it, but any of you will know when to suspend a little physics.

Cheers

ATIS

I usually don't see movies at the theater (Blade Runner 2049 being the exception) as I spend a lot of time on overseas flights.  Finally saw Dunkirk on my way back from Frankfurt and I have to agree with your review.  Some of the flying scenes were good, but overall they could have done a much better job telling the story.  It was almost that they felt the audience would only be Brits who were very familiar with the history behind it.  There were also a few aspects that stretched the imagination (no spoilers but it has to do with one of the flying subplots).  

And while my smoking hot wife wasn't with me, the brunette sitting next to me was a pleasant travel companion both conversationally and visually!

Cheers!  M2

1 hour ago, uhhello said:

The 2 in the title normally denotes the second of the series of movies....

Noted.

So, when someone posts a trailer to an as yet to be released movie and the comment is "that movie was incredible" we're supposed to assume he meant the first one?  Nah.... a little clarification would have made it a bit more clear.  YMMV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeremiahWeed said:

Noted.

So, when someone posts a trailer to an as yet to be released movie and the comment is "that movie was incredible" we're supposed to assume he meant the first one?  Nah.... a little clarification would have made it a bit more clear.  YMMV.

Little day drinking Jeremiah?

3 hours ago, JeremiahWeed said:

Noted.

Agreed.  I assumed the original poster warped space-time, saw the summer-release movie, then posted his feedback here.  I’m very disappointed to realize he was referencing the already released movie and not discussing future events; in the future I’d appreciate posters tell me whether or not they’re talking about the, uh, future.

• Like 1