Latest Movies

B*D*A

On July 22, 2017 at 8:19 PM, ATIS said:

Anyone that doesn't (like my smoking hot blonde wife sitting next to me)....she would have been lost if I hadn't explained what happened in a historical sense at Dunkirk (before the movie).

How "smoking hot" does she have to be to not know the history?  Pics would probably be helpful...

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Hitman's Bodyguard.

Opens next week; got to go to an advance screening with wife.

Predictable, a lot of over the top violence, not much skin.

Absolutely great writing for the lines between Samuel L. Jackson and Ryan Reynolds.  A lot of funny bits, not just the usual one or two in most movies. 

Recommend.  :mosh:

On 8/12/2017 at 11:37 PM, brickhistory said:

The Hitman's Bodyguard.

Opens next week; got to go to an advance screening with wife.

Predictable, a lot of over the top violence, not much skin.

Absolutely great writing for the lines between Samuel L. Jackson and Ryan Reynolds.  A lot of funny bits, not just the usual one or two in most movies. 

Recommend.  :mosh:

Concur

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Blade Runner 2049:

I'm a huge fan of the original 1982 Blade Runner, probably the top 5 of sci fi movies ever made. 

1)  The quality of the filmmaking and cinematography is just outstanding.  Visually just awesome, you need to see this on the big screen with the sound...period. 

2) Story.  If you aren't familiar with the original, you won't follow 2049.  The 1982 story is just classic.  Man-made slaves looking for "...more life...fu&ker" and  trying to find the meaning of life before they are "lost... like tears... in rain".  No spoilers here, but I was kept wondering what the answers were to particular questions raised as the movie moved along. 

3)  Harrison Ford does much better in this role than as Han Solo in the Star Wars remake.  Ryan Gosling is terrific as well. 

Was I blown away, no....I am trying to put my finger on why.  I think....like the original....this movie will grow on me as well.  I just think the original story line from 1982 is a hard one to follow.  I will probably find myself watching reruns of the original Blade Runner or Interstellar more than 2049. 

I'm glad I went to see it, and if you are a fan of the original....you will as well.

Cheers

ATIS

• Upvote 1

I enjoyed the shit out of it. 

I think one one of the things that should holding you back from being blown away is Gosling’s slightly off putting “affect” for lack of a better term. I think if you watch it again that will make a little more sense and it will click in. 

Recommend. 

Three thumbs up (bqzip’s mom)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, M2 said:

Blade Runner 2049 was absolutely and without a shadow of a doubt the best movie of 2017!

I thought it was fantastic, but if it's been a while since you've seen the original, get yourself a refresher - I hadn't seen the original for at least 15 years ago, and I was trying to remember a lot of details that weren't spoon fed to the audience (which I appreciated).   My only critique was that the story moved at one particular pace through about 90% of the film, and at about the 2:10 mark I thought, "there's no way this is wrapping up in one film....there's going to be a cliffhanger and a sequel."  Then it seemed to kick into fifth gear and wrap everything up at an oddly fast pace.

5 hours ago, Toro said:

I thought it was fantastic, but if it's been a while since you've seen the original, get yourself a refresher - I hadn't seen the original for at least 15 years ago, and I was trying to remember a lot of details that weren't spoon fed to the audience (which I appreciated).   My only critique was that the story moved at one particular pace through about 90% of the film, and at about the 2:10 mark I thought, "there's no way this is wrapping up in one film....there's going to be a cliffhanger and a sequel."  Then it seemed to kick into fifth gear and wrap everything up at an oddly fast pace.

Interesting observation.  I felt it started of glacially (not a bad thing) and slowly gained speed.

While it was definitely stretched out, I really didn't feel it dragged at any point.

I'll most likely see it again at the theater, as it has to be experienced on the big screen; but I am also looking forward to getting it on disk as some of the dialogue was tough to follow at the theater where we saw it (or it could be my lousy hearing).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2017 at 12:04 AM, bfargin said:

Has anybody seen Megan Leavey yet? Movie about the Marine working dog and his handler. Is it worth a watch? 

It wasn’t bad. It’s free for Prime members so watch it that way. Don’t go into it expecting American Sniper type but it’s not bad.