Latest Movies

B*D*A

Saw "The Accountant."  If you liked Affleck's other movies (The Town, Argo) you'll probably like this as well.  Concise story without trying to build some mythos and/or franchise that a lot of the movies go for these days.  Well shot, with interesting visuals and not too much shaky cam bullshit.  Good character and story arc with little to no pandering and it swerves away from getting cliche in a lot of parts.  Nothing really surprising, or hard to figure out if you even pay a little attention.  

Solid B/B+.

• 1 month later...

Star Wars Rogue One was very good.  I give it a 9.5/10, better than The Force Awakens.  It wasn't a recycled plot like TFA, and it didn't lean too hard on nostalgic cameos (most were mere seconds long and well placed).  The conclusion of the movie segways amazingly well into A New Hope, and actually enhances the story significantly.  Has some of the best battle scenes in the franchise.  Minor points deducted for some tropey moments, and a somewhat slow, fractured start, but the second half of the movie more than makes up for it.  Has the old rustic star wars feel throughout, yet includes some of the best CGI to date.  It's a true prequel to episode IV, and how a prequel should be done.

I don't have any above average fandom but anyone who likes Star Wars will receive this one well.

• Upvote 4

• 1 month later...

John Wick 2 - Not quite as good as the first, since the first was a fresh breath from the action slop we'd been getting recently.  Still a lot of fun, more world building and brutal fast action.  More laughs in this one also.  Well worth the $11.50 I spent on the ticket.

• Upvote 1

Went and saw "Split" the other night...it is definitely not for everyone, but I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a great redemption for Shyamalan, and it was an amazing performance by James McAvoy. The movie had good pacing, not a ton of action but a very good, tense psychological flick.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Batman movie was fun if you liked the Lego movie.

Logan was good.  Strange having a PG13 franchise go for the hard R (little/no sex) and seeing just how brutal metal clawed combat would be.

Would recommend both.

• Upvote 2

Watched Arrival most recently and enjoyed it. It does a decent job in creating a sense of realism as to how different cultures around the world would handle an alien presence as well as how to go about establishing communication with an entity so drastically different in every way. I thought the concept was interesting, but I could see how others may think some parts were a little far-fetched. My $.02

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MilitaryToFinance said:

You can still see a movie for $7? My theater is $19.95/ticket + $1.50 service charge and that's before they bend you over buying popcorn.

Yeah, screw that. Give them the finger behind their backs by buying cargo pants and smuggling in enough candy/popcorn/sodas for the whole family.

Yeah, screw that. Give them the finger behind their backs by buying cargo pants and smuggling in enough rum for the whole family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I am really looking forward to this summer...

I'll go ahead and say it, I think Trainspotting 2 will actually be better than the original, which was fucking epic!

Speaking of the original...

• Upvote 1

A close second of movies I am anxiously awaiting this year...

I am just not sure if they'll do this one right or not.  For one, Ryan Gosling.  Two, no Ridley Scott.  Third, I am sure the special effects will be CGI, something the original avoided to its credit.  Fourth, no Vangelis (although Jóhann Jóhannsson has done some decent scores, I doubt he'll get anywhere close to equaling Vangelis.  I still listen to the original Blade Runner soundtrack!).

Still, I hold out hope out hope that this sequel is worthy of the original!

• Upvote 2

One last, after On Stranger Tides I wasn't sure about the Pirates series...

...and I'm still not after seeing the trailer for 2017's Dead Men Tell No Tales.   Hopefully it won't disappoint, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Anyone catch the dog/wolf in the Blade Runner trailer?

Blade Runner is by far the top of the Sci Fi heap IMO, just hope it's better than Ford's flying has been recently.

Atomic Blonde (not the one I live with) and DP2:  I'll be watching those without the wife unit unfortunately. Her loss. 

ATIS