Latest Movies

B*D*A

• 2 weeks later...

The best movies are ones which pull you in and you forget you are watching a film.  Does anyone else find epic levels of stupid commentary or behavior prevent being able to watch a film because, in your mind, the actor is a nut job or idiot?  Emily Blunt and Tarantino are the two most recent examples.  Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

The best movies are ones which pull you in and you forget you are watching a film.  Does anyone else find epic levels of stupid commentary or behavior prevent being able to watch a film because, in your mind, the actor is a nut job or idiot?  Emily Blunt and Tarantino are the two most recent examples.  Thoughts?

What did blunt do?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What did blunt do?

She had become an American citizen and expressed being ashamed of that fact after the first Republican debate.  She could have said she hated Republicans or Conservatives or politicians but threw the whole country under the bus.  The irony of this is that she became a US citizen to avoid higher taxes as a British citizen.

She had become an American citizen and expressed being ashamed of that fact after the first Republican debate.  She could have said she hated Republicans or Conservatives or politicians but threw the whole country under the bus.  The irony of this is that she became a US citizen to avoid higher taxes as a British citizen.

Sounds about right. She pretends for a living, why should anything she says make sense?

• Upvote 1

Has anyone seen 'Rock the Kasbah' yet? I thought the trailers looked good, but I just read this and along with an IMDB rating of 5.1 stars out of 10 I am beginning to think I will wait for a future trans-oceanic flight to see this one...

You'd think the powerful cast mixing of Bill Murray, Bruce Willis, Danny McBride, Kate Hudson and Zooey Deschanel would definitely be a home run, but it turned out to be more of a strikeout at the box office. Earning the unfortunate award of being the fifth-worst opening for a film playing in 2,000+ theaters of ALL TIME, "Rock the Kasbah" only averaged $731 per theater.

I don't go to politicians for my art, and I don't go to artists for my politics.  So, no.  I generally don't have a problem outside of a few niche cases (ex. Michael Moore).  I disagree strongly with Kevin Spacey's politics, as well as George Clooney and Tom Cruise... but they're fantastic actors who make decent if not excellent movies.

I expect my artists to be nut-job loonies (ex. Tom Cruise), and my politicians to be back-stabbing snakes (ex. Paul Ryan).

• Upvote 1

The only actor/actress I refuse to watch is Jane Fonda, for obvious reasons.  The other progressive Hollywood types I just use for my own entertainment at a pretty cheap price.  Personally, I blame the stupid people that care what these silly actors actually think (outside the entertainment industry--ie politics) vs blaming the actors themselves.  

And go see Bridge of Spies...excellent movie. 

Planning on going and seeing this one and The Martian this week.  Another one I highly recommend, repeat highly is Jack Strong.  It is a foreign film that just got added to Netflix.  It is based on a true story and is one of the best movies I have seen lately. 

Edited by Fud

• 1 month later...

Movie was a lot of fun, no doubt, and certainly very high production values....

...but, am I the only one who felt the whole thing was recycled?  I don't mean the obvious continuity-of-storyline stuff or the original characters.  I'm talking about just about every single plot element being a damn-near direct copy of previous movies (primarily Ep IV, but shades of V & VI, too); even all the supposedly "new" characters were carbon-copies of their predecessors....

Disappointing.  Enjoyed the movie, and it could totally suck and still be a blockbuster just because of its pedigree--but, the story writers phoned it in....

• Upvote 1

On 12/20/2015 at 7:40 PM, Jughead said:

...but, am I the only one who felt the whole thing was recycled?  I don't mean the obvious continuity-of-storyline stuff or the original characters.  I'm talking about just about every single plot element being a damn-near direct copy of previous movies (primarily Ep IV, but shades of V & VI, too); even all the supposedly "new" characters were carbon-copies of their predecessors....

Disappointing.  Enjoyed the movie, and it could totally suck and still be a blockbuster just because of its pedigree--but, the story writers phoned it in....

Agreed on some counts.  I enjoyed it and laughed/cheered at some points, but MAN there were some strong flashbacks to the first movie.  The "good guys" are on basically the same mission to destroy a big planet-like object that can destroy other planets, and they're doing it in the same old X-Wing fighters as before, even with the same helmets. Makes me think of my legacy C-130 crewmates, since the span of time in Star Wars is actually less than we've flown the E/H models.

On 11/5/2015 at 8:19 AM, REEL BRIEF said:

I might have been too harsh on Michael Bay a few months back.  This one actually looks like it could be a dark horse that wins at the box office come January...

The latest trailer just released...

Huh.  When I watched the trailer I kept expecting a transformer to pop up somewhere.  Blackhawk Down this aint.

• Upvote 1

On 12/20/2015 at 0:40 AM, Jughead said:

I agree. Honestly I think the only reason this is getting strong reviews is because of how bad Ep I - Ep III were. If this were the first Star Wars made since the original trilogy I think it would get below a 50% positive instead of 95% positive rating. I couldn't tell from one scene to the next if this was a sequal or a spoof. You go from trying to be dramatic to a scene where I'm pretty sure the characters look at the camera and wink because they know they are planning the exact same mission from Episode VI and they want to make sure you get it too. Not to mention the one-dimensional characters and characters with no flaws. Part of what made the original trilogy great was even the good guys had flaws/issues. Now you've got a main character who is perfect, with no training can fly better than Han Solo, can fight with a light saber better than a trained Jedi and somehow goes from believing that Luke Skywalker was a myth to doing Jedi mind control without having any reason to know/believe that such a thing was possible. It was an entertaining 2 hours but this hardly qualifies as a great movie in my book.

7 hours ago, MilitaryToFinance said:

I agree. Honestly I think the only reason this is getting strong reviews is because of how bad Ep I - Ep III were. If this were the first Star Wars made since the original trilogy I think it would get below a 50% positive instead of 95% positive rating. I couldn't tell from one scene to the next if this was a sequal or a spoof. You go from trying to be dramatic to a scene where I'm pretty sure the characters look at the camera and wink because they know they are planning the exact same mission from Episode VI and they want to make sure you get it too. Not to mention the one-dimensional characters and characters with no flaws. Part of what made the original trilogy great was even the good guys had flaws/issues. Now you've got a main character who is perfect, with no training can fly better than Han Solo, can fight with a light saber better than a trained Jedi and somehow goes from believing that Luke Skywalker was a myth to doing Jedi mind control without having any reason to know/believe that such a thing was possible. It was an entertaining 2 hours but this hardly qualifies as a great movie in my book.

I really enjoyed this movie.  I liked that they made those call-backs to "A New Hope".  I loved the FUN of it, something sorely lacking in the prequels.  I didn't think they had one-dimensional characters...you have a stormtrooper who suddenly grows a conscience, a girl with severe abandonment issues, and the main bad guy has a severely out-of-control temper.

My theory is that Rey is Luke's daughter...and, being the giant nerd that I am, I will remind everyone that both Anakin and Luke were highly skilled pilots despite a lack of training and experience.  Every time Rey uses the force, it happens almost immediately following Kylo Ren using the force.  She's learning from him, however indirectly.  There is also a fan theory that she was trained, then had a memory block put in place to hide her from the First Order...why else would she see an island when she uses the force, having only lived on a desert planet?  Why else would she get those impressions from the lightsaber if she never learned how to use those powers?

Also, I really hated the new Star Trek movies, and the latest looks to be the worst.  They turned Star Trek into nothing more than a backdrop for a poorly-scripted action movie.  Star Trek was never about the action - it was about competent, smart people solving problems through the use of their intelligence and technology.

Edited by pawnman
  • Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Learjetter said:

H8ful Eight.

Typical Tarantino we've grown to love. Excellent score, acting, cinematography, and plot twists. 3 hours of brilliance from Walton Goggins. Recommend. No kids.

I'll check it out.  I'm glad to see Walton Goggins make it into bigger roles.  He was kinda ok in The Shield, but he really shined in Justified. 

Out

Oh, Rey as Luke's little girl?  Too tidy, too conveniently expected.  Nope, it's gotta be something we'd hardly expect.  Just like when we all found out who Luke's father was.

Now I'm out