Latest Movies

B*D*A

Sony cancels The Interview release amid threats

"Sony Pictures has cancelled the planned US release on 25 December of the film The Interview, after major cinema chains decided not to screen it."

_79804132_025152434.jpg

...pussies

Don't kid yourself. Sony will release this in 6 months to triple the profits it would have made otherwise. This is the best engineered hype Hollywood could have asked for.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Critics and Hollywood insiders have been critical with harsh words towards "Unbroken" and "American Sniper"--calling these military film's full of clichés. One misguided reviewer even wrote American Sniper's "Iraq moments feel false as anyone making a film involving Navy SEALS better pay close attention to Kathryn Bigelow's 'Zero Dark Thirty' as she set a high bar for anyone hoping to capture the intensity of tactical warfare with a sense of authenticity." WTF? "American Sniper" will show the most authentic portrayal of NSW forces on film that we've ever seen.

Despite critics and Hollywood attempting to keep moviegoers from these two fine films, the paying public will make both blockbuster hits.

I enjoyed "Unbroken" and thought Jolie had a very difficult job competing with a hugely popular novel that spent 3 1/2 years on the NYT's bestseller hardcover list. But the movie was true to Zamperini and his amazing life--and deserving of the time devoted in the film to his adrift and POW periods.

'Unbroken' movie review;

http://reelbrief.com/?p=1557

We downloaded The Interview on Christmas, and laughed for most of the movie. It was much better than I expected.

Hope you didn't pay for it. Figured the nerds you keep company with could just have it beamed directly to your computers from the United States of Space.

• Upvote 1

The Interview has made $15M online and is Sony's highest grossing digital release ever.

Given that they don't have any significant benchmarks in that arena, and that The Interview is still going to lose money for them, I don't think that's much to write home about.

Hope you didn't pay for it. Figured the nerds you keep company with could just have it beamed directly to your computers from the United States of Space.

United States of Space? That's got a nice ring to it. No, we rented it; took 6 hours to download. Thanks SniperHill!

• 3 weeks later...

More downrange ops focusing on Kyle's 4 tours in the film than I was expecting. But this movie is about one subject and one subject only--Chris Kyle the husband, father, teammate and American. It's not political or an indictment on OIF or why we're there. It covers war and the pressures, strain and multiple deployments exceptionally well and the affects on one SEAL. An abrupt and shocking ending that most already know is coming is still powerful and emotional. 'American Sniper' will squarely hit civilians in the heart and mind about sacrifices made by so few, for so many, and for so long.

Is the movie perfect? No. But does it get the message of casualties and sacrifices from the military and our families at war now for over a decade through the big-screen? Without a doubt. I was pleasantly surprised by this film's impact.

http://reelbrief.com/?p=1681

Edited by Batman

The Imitation Game:

Sheldon Cooper of The Big Bang Theory vs. Hitler's Enigma code machine.

Fairly fast and loose with history and crams various real people into the characters of only a few and not always accurately.

Big on the quirkiness of Turing and his background of why he became the prototype Sheldon Cooper.

Not enough skin from Keira Knightly.

Good acting, good capturing of the 1940s wartime Britain vibe. Lead actor does a great job with the quirks.

Not so much on the accuracy, but the producers are telling a true-ish story, not a documentary.

A bit too much focus on the homosexuality aspect as a how it was a crime, not from man on man depiction for which there was none thankfully to this correspondent. It is this "courage" for addressing homosexuality that generated the Oscar buzz for an otherwise good-ish movie.

So, here's to Alan Turing for masterminding one of the most critical components for victory in WWII.

We cut your nuts off (actually chemically castrated) as your reward.

There's a lesson for today in there somewhere...

A solid "meh." Not a waste of time/money to see it; will be just as good on a video service vs. going to the theater, however.

I'm sure this has already been addressed here, but I still think it's worthy of revisiting...just caught 300Rise of an Empire...best thing about the Movie: Eva Green... I don't know about an empire, she's definitely responsible for something rising...check out The Dreamers, too, for that matter!