Latest Movies

B*D*A

• 3 weeks later...

American Hustle was not bad!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

My thoughts as well. If you like watching movies to see how they develop and the character development, then it's definitely a cool movie with an interesting story line. If you're the kind who goes to a movie and wants it all up front and right away, then you'll probably be bored.

"The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" did not suck--great couples date-night flick...

Edit: excellent score, awesome photography, good plot, with plenty of twists and surprises, and a bit of comedy to boot.

Recommend.

Edited by Learjetter
  • Upvote 1

Got to see an early showing of Lone Survivor. IMO it was very well done on all levels - storyline, effects, editing, sound, cinematography, and the right amount of character development (though I'm sure significantly less than the book, which I have not read). Once the action beings, it struck me as very similar to the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan in that it was very visceral, but it keeps going until pretty much the end of the movie.

I would highly recommend it.

American Hustle just drug along... I love smart, well written/and acted movies. And this had that. For 30 seconds here and there. Throughout the entire 2 hour movie there was maybe 15 minutes of REALLY well written scenes with some fantastic acting. The rest of it was ZZZzzz.

Good thing the wife was frisky and kept me entertained.

No you're not getting pics, you animals.

Edited by Vertigo

Got to see an early showing of Lone Survivor. IMO it was very well done on all levels - storyline, effects, editing, sound, cinematography, and the right amount of character development (though I'm sure significantly less than the book, which I have not read). Once the action beings, it struck me as very similar to the opening scene of Saving Private Ryan in that it was very visceral, but it keeps going until pretty much the end of the movie.

I also watched "Lone Survivor" and agree that it was well done. It wasn't like the book talking about how SEAL training sucks and they are all supermen. Other than the opening credits, training wasn't even mentioned. It had good character development and drew you into the story. I wish there would have been more time spent on the Pashtunwali portion of the story, but it was good. Definitely reommend a viewing.

"American Hustle" was well done.

No, it is not an action flick, and sh1t doesn't blow up every 2-3 minutes.

Great acting, good story, spot-on depiction of the butt-ugly 1970s.

Lots of, to me, unexpected stars in it playing bit roles.

My understanding is the lead, Christian Bale, packed on 40lbs to play the pudgy main character. And not in a good way.

"American Hustle" was well done.

No, it is not an action flick, and sh1t doesn't blow up every 2-3 minutes.

Great acting, good story, spot-on depiction of the butt-ugly 1970s.

Lots of, to me, unexpected stars in it playing bit roles.

My understanding is the lead, Christian Bale, packed on 40lbs to play the pudgy main character. And not in a good way.

He also herniated a disk in his back being hunched over all the time.

Good to hear. After reading the book and then hearing about the movie coming out, I was really excited, but at the same time I was afraid they were going to make it more of a typical hollywood "shoot 'em up" action movie. Glad to hear that it's not.

Recommend you read the book when you get a chance - you won't be disappointed.

Can't wait to see it myself!

I watched Lone Survivor this weekend as well. Great flick. After spending time riding around eastern Afghanistan in a Chinook a few years back, I thought the scenes in the CH-47s were very well done...made me feel like I was back in Afghanistan.

Overall it shows what these guys went through even if Hollywood did take some license. Leaving the theater (which was in a mall), I heard people saying "that was a cool movie, it had a lot of action" as if it was made for their entertainment (ok, maybe it was...but to me it wasn't entertainment). After flying coffins out of airfields out there, helping wounded guys get from the Role 3 to a waiting HC-130 that were missing legs and had holes shot in them, having a rocket bounce off the gravel 30 feet from my pod and detonate on the other side of a t-wall, and flying the medevac missions, it was surreal to leave that movie and walk back through suburbia and the people shopping at the mall that have NO idea.

+1 on Lone Survivor. Read the book, saw the movie yesterday. Worth watching on the big screen.

Edited by Spoo
  • Upvote 1

Anyone see Anchorman 2?

If you really liked Anchorman 1, you'll probably like Anchorman 2. Same humor, different jokes, some stuff was recycled for familiarity, but it wasn't like Hangover 2/3 where there was no new material. It's a lot funnier if you're drunk, but if you're not a Will Ferrell fan, you should probably rent it.

More on 'Lone Survivor';

"Exceptional cinematography and editing give moviegoers a feeling of isolation, despair, and perhaps even the sense of dirt in their shoes. With every jarring injury and wound, viewers will find themselves in theaters ducking bullets and squeezing armrests."

http://m.explorernews.com/livenup/article_e8595c0e-7da5-11e3-8400-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm

• 2 weeks later...