Latest Movies

B*D*A

Interesting factoid: The sound you hear from his pocket watch during the film is recorded from Lincoln's actual pocket watch from his presidential library.

I really wonder if that movie would have affected the Presidential election with the Democrats painted as a bunch of racist, slave holding jerks and the Republicans as the great hope for black people. Please don't assume this sentence is a Democrat bat signal to start another political jihad in a good thread (@nsplayr).

The political parties of the time were far different from the parties of today.

I'm not a big fan of Lincoln (the man, not the movie) myself.

Suspending Habeus Corpus, imprisoning those that spoke out against him, freeing the slaves in the South while still allowing some Northern states to carry on, extensive land grants to the railroads, placing judges on house arrest when they ruled against him, etc.

He wasn't the saint Hollywood makes him out to be.

• Upvote 1

I'm not a big fan of Lincoln (the man, not the movie) myself.

Suspending Habeus Corpus, imprisoning those that spoke out against him, freeing the slaves in the South while still allowing some Northern states to carry on, extensive land grants to the railroads, placing judges on house arrest when they ruled against him, etc.

He wasn't the saint Hollywood makes him out to be.

Back at cha'

vikQx.jpgOut

Some people are really good at evaluating the work and behaviors of others and finding their faults, imperfections and mistakes. They can't help themselves. At least it seem like they can't control it.

It's just a gift for the rest of the world to enjoy. Like the energy from the sun.

Like so many other "heros" we learn about in the history books... Christopher Columbus comes to mind. We don't want to know about all the bad things they did, just the good!

Shocking that our heroes are human. I guess we should ignore the great things they did and just focus on the bad.

As Blade would say, "Some mother######er's always trying to ice skate up hill."

Shocking that our heroes are human. I guess we should ignore the great things they did and just focus on the bad.

Have you ever read up on some of the shit Columbus did? It's not like this guy was a drunk, or some other minor fault. I don't know any humans who would do some of the shit he pulled.

I never said we should ignore the good things they did, but we sure as hell shouldn't ignore the shitty things they did.

Lots of influential people did a lot of shitty things throughout history. You have to look at these things in the context of their time, not ours. Problem solved. Now, can we get back to movies? Rented 'Avengers' last night (I think I was one of the three people in the country who didn't see it in the theater) and was surprisingly entertained. Even the wife stayed interested. Also bought 'The Lorax' for the kids. I'm not usually the kind of person who will criticize a kids movie or show for being overtly filled with rhetoric, and while the movie was cute, I have to say that I take issue with it's message that chopping down a tree is a mortal sin. Send the message that you have to manage resources carefully: ok. Send the message that they are untouchable: not so much.

Not being a fan ≠ hatred.

I acknowledge his overall impact on civil liberties, I just don't follow along with the hype of him being a saint.

You just don't like him because he was gay. Admit it.

Have you ever read up on some of the shit Columbus did? It's not like this guy was a drunk, or some other minor fault. I don't know any humans who would do some of the shit he pulled.

I never said we should ignore the good things they did, but we sure as hell shouldn't ignore the shitty things they did.

I have done a bit of research into it. Sounds like Columbus was cut from the same cloth as some of the people who dealt with Native Americans in other places, or the aborigines in Australia, or.. you know.. slave owners, like all those Founding Fathers.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, it's from 2008; but if you haven't seen Hank & Mike then you're missing one of the funniest low-budget comedies of recent years...

Meet Hank and Mike, two blue-collar Easter Bunnies who get fired and try their hand at an assortment of odd jobs, failing at each. Fighting depression, debt and eventually each other, these two longtime pals set out on a mission to recapture their jobs, get the girl and settle the score.

Cheers! M2