Gold Bar Recruiting Program

Guest PNav

I'm sure your commanders have informed you about the details of the program or are soon going to. I am debating on applying or not. I'm a Nav candidate but I don't get activated till January next year. I was wondering what yalls perspective is on this.

We were briefed on it by our Col last week... The BL is that the Air Force is looking for around 20 new lieutenants to become recruiters in certain areas of the US with high populations of minorities.

Its similar to the Army's program... The selected lieutenants are sent to Maxwell for 10 days of training before being sent to 1 of 20 possible AFROTC detachments to begin work.

The year long assignment starts in June and the deadline to apply is sometime in the next week or two. Let your PAS know if you're interested.

My PAS also told us that if you're rated, you won't loose your assignment, you'll just start UPT a year later. He said that non-rated folks will be recycled.

Edited by Helo Kitty

We were briefed on it by our Col last week... The BL is that the Air Force is looking for around 20 new lieutenants to become recruiters in certain areas of the US with high populations of minorities.

Its similar to the Army's program... The selected lieutenants are sent to Maxwell for 10 days of training before being sent to 1 of 20 possible AFROTC detachments to begin work.

The year long assignment starts in June and the deadline to apply is sometime in the next week or two. Let your PAS know if you're interested.

My PAS also told us that if you're rated, you won't loose your assignment, you'll just start UPT a year later. He said that non-rated folks will be recycled.

And how is this a good deal??? I guess maybe if you think UPT drops are going to get better in 2 years maybe, otherwise I would think everyone would want to get out of ROTC ASAP.

How about instead of trying to recruit minorities to boast our numbers we just look for PEOPLE, regardless of their heritage or the color of their skin, as long as they are top notch individuals who aren't looking to become the next shoe clerk to make everybody elses lives suck.

I probably would have too, completely forgot about the long wait period some people are getting from commissioning to EAD. Gold Bar Recruiting: It beats working for a living!!! Good luck!

I'm gonna put my application in and see what happens. I can't imagine it'll delay UPT start date a whole year... I was thinking just a couple months which is fine... or at least that LT paycheck will console me in the mean time. If I can start the recruiting gig in June, take get out on the early side (9 months of the "9-12 monts"), then I'll just have ASBC, IFS, and hopefully get into UPT before August...

Personally, for the extra pay, I'm ok with delaying a few months. UPT will still be around, and I think this sure beats having casual in Columbus, MS!

"The BL is that the Air Force is looking for around 20 new lieutenants to become recruiters in certain areas of the US with high populations of minorities"

Personally, for the extra pay, I'm ok with delaying a few months. UPT will still be around, and I think this sure beats having casual in Columbus, MS!

Careful, there's a lot of minorities to recruit in the Columbus, MS area...

-Patty

• 4 months later...

http://www.leaderonline.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123160395

"Lieutenants involved in the program are all on active duty when they arrive here for training," General Djuric said, "so the length of their assignment will depend on when their career field training starts."

It doesn't sound like it changes the dates of your training, it sounds more like it fills that gap between commissioning and EAD.

anyone know if this is an option for December grads?

I doubt it. The official memo from Col McCain says, "Please talk to ALL of your seniors graduating this spring and encourage them to seriously consider applying for Gold Bar Recruiting duty.". I'd approach your cadre to find out for sure though.

Attached is the memo if you wanted to see it.

ARMSAFROTC-09-128 - Gold Bar Recruiter.pdf

Atch1toARMS-09-128-Attch 1.pdf

• 1 month later...
Guest AasClown

I just got my dates for ENJJPT and found out I won't be there until June of 2011 after graduating in May of THIS YEAR. Anyone think this Recruiting thing would be a good thing to look into while I wait? Need some guidance here.

Just to be clear, do you mean you're graduating in May of 2010, or that you just graduated in May of 2009?

If the first, then it will likely depend on your EAD whether Gold Bar is a good idea or not. If you have a 6 month wait to EAD, then yeah it'd probably a good idea. You get to party with the college crowd for a while. At my old Det, when the new Gold Bar LT showed up all of us waiting on our EAD took him out drinking with us and made sure he felt welcome. I even knew him from a PDT way back three years ago. I can tell you from personal experience that doing some recruiting and getting to rock the college life with an LT paycheck is a LOT better than working at Best Buy for the months prior to EAD.

So if you are a FY2010 Grad, go for it.

Unfortunately if you graduated in 2009, I don't believe it is available to you (all FY09 slots filled up back in May...hence the reason I as a summer grad am not doing it now). The good news is that you're EAD can't be far away because they can only hold you for six months before at the least putting you on casual.

Edited by FlyingBull

DO IT. Unless you have a good job lined up and stuff to keep you busy, do it. I'm 10 days from my EAD, and all this summer has been for me has been working for family, struggling to pay the bills, and mooching off my parents. Now, if you're financially set and wanna go backpack around Europe, do that, but a lot of people can't do that. The pay would be really nice, and I think it'd help you kind of ease into AD life... especially if you're not staying at the debt you commissioned from, it'll expose you to a new commander, leadership styles, etc... and they KNOW that you're an idiot b/c they deal with cadets (and former cadets) all the time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Sorry to bring back an old topic but I am thinking about applying for the program. I'm graduating in May 2011 with a CSO slot. I've read the memos from Col McCain and was curious to see what you all think. I have a buddy who PCS to PCola back in Nov of 2010 and was on casual for quite some time. I was thinking that this would be a good thing to get into just because of the wait time to PCS and then the casual time. Any advice will be appreciated!

Depends- if you want to get on active duty quickly... do the gold bar. If you wanna fly quickly... don't. It's a good deal if it fits you, but it won't gaurentee that you don't have some casual time when you get to P'cola. It'll limit the time but won't necessarily cut it out completely.

Guest hiflyer18

My commander sent in my application last week. The applications are due in to Maxwell tomorrow. Anyone on here apply? What locations did you put as your preference?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...