F-22 Edwards Crash

Guest ski&fly fast

Guest ski&fly fast

F-22 Crashes Near Edwards Air Force Base

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Print EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. — The Air Force says an F-22 fighter crashed in the vicinity of Edwards Air Force Base in the high desert of Southern California.

Pentagon spokeswoman Lt. Col. Ann Stefanek confirmed the crash Wednesday but had no other details.

Stefanek had no information on the status of the pilot.

The F-22 is the Air Force's new top-of-the-line fighter.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,510588,00.html :beer:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope the pilot got out.

Maybe this will wake up some people and realize that attrition will hit the Raptor force just like every other airframe, making that 182* number even more scary.

Idk, I fear it will have the opposite effect... "Why are we paying so much for these things if they aren't even safe to fly?" or something along those lines

I believe it's the number of Raptors the Air Force is getting...or something like that.

The USAF was only allocated funds to purchase 183 Raptors. Now, we will only have 182. I hope the pilot is ok. :beer:

It sucks to say, but these things happen. I would not have thought this soon though.

Idk, I fear it will have the opposite effect... "Why are we paying so much for these things if they aren't even safe to fly?" or something along those lines

Not safe to fly??? We don't even know what happened. Just because an aircraft crashes does not mean it is unsafe. If that were the case the AF only has a handful of "safe" airplanes.

Guest Ikarus
First one was a dealer demo... didn't count.

F-22s were grounded for two weeks after one crashed at Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada in December 2004. They were cleared again to fly after a review, and an Air Force statement at the time said officials were "highly confident in the design, testing and development" of the aircraft. The pilot in that crash successfully ejected.

Not to mention the YF-22 that video exists of.

Seriously, though, hope the pilot is okay, but the lack of an update concerns me.

Airforcetimes.com only had this to add...

"We were told to stay out of the scene and that they were sending a rescue helicopter for the pilot, Smith said."

So sounds like there may have been an ejection. Let's hope.

Edited by Fuse

Steve is correct. The YF-22 is the crash in 1992 everyone has seen video of...the flare, land, flare, land, flare, crash without landing gear... =)

The second was due to a FCS malfunction in 2004.

Edited by Fuse

Are you sure, Nole.

There have been three F-22 crashes: one YF-22, and two F-22As (Nellis Dec 2005, and today's Edwards crash). The last two form part of the 183, no?

Sorry, it was just a joke aimed at those agruing over 181..182...or 184.

http://airforcetimes.com/news/2009/03/airf...2crash_032509w/

The pilot flying the F-22 that crashed Wednesday morning near Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., was pronounced dead at a local hospital, officials said.

The pilot, whose name was not released, was a contractor working for Lockheed Martin, the company that manufactures the F-22. Officials didn’t say if the pilot had served in the Air Force.

:salut::beer:

Edited by Fuse

Not safe to fly??? We don't even know what happened. Just because an aircraft crashes does not mean it is unsafe. If that were the case the AF only has a handful of "safe" airplanes.

I agree with you, it is just unfortunate that it comes at a time when the whole program is under pressure and I'm sure some will be looking to use this as an opportunity

:beer: to the pilot

Guest SpunkDagger

Article on f-16.net

F-22A Raptor #91-4002 makes a low pass at Edwards AFB, California. A jet similar to this crashed today.The jet is assigned to the 411th Flight Test Squadron of Edwards' 412th Test Wing.

Michelle Coghill, a spokeswoman for the Air Combat Command was quoted to have said "It was a test mission," citing preliminary information. She said the condition of the lone pilot was not immediately known. An investigation would take place, Coghill said.

The pilot of the chase plane on the same mission did not see what happened.

Officers with the California Highway Patrol saw smoke in the area of Cuddedry Lake, an old emergency landing field for experimental planes. "We were told to stay out of the scene and that they were sending a rescue helicopter for the pilot," said Officer E. Smith, a spokesman for the Highway Patrol.

Rescue teams were en route, said Air Force Maj. David Small at the Pentagon.

Edited by SpunkDagger