FAIP Q&A

Skitzo

In the viper world, you're also ineligible for WIC, on a "fast track" to BMC, and were probably passed over for major on the last board. But yeah, you'll stay in the jet.

Ineligible for WIC is true.

Most of the FAIPs I've seen that come to the Viper have not gone BMC, and were not passed over for major in the last 2 boards.

Dudes have gotten screwed over, though, and it sucks.

Sounds like bombers/heavies are a completely different story from fighters. At least in the Viper world, you are well behind your peers and have a lot of catching up to do. In general, the only real "leg up" you're given is job wise...i.e. shop chief much sooner (right out of, or close to, completion of MQT). Maybe FLUG comes slightly early, but certainly not IPUG. Both are merit-based upgrades and FAIPs are looked at pretty much the same as their flying peers (not year group peers). As the boss said the other day, he owes everyone one upgrade (MQT) and everything after is earned...he doesn't give a shit if you're a FAIP or right out of the pipeline. That's the predominant take I've seen on this situation.

Some FAIPs realize this, accept it, and then kick ass and go on to blow past these hurdles/do very well. Others come to the CAF with an attitude that their FAIP time entitles them to something extra...it doesn't. Of course throw in a little luck/timing with leadership, VMLs, etc. and there you have it. That's how it is, without sugarcoating.

• Upvote 1

Inelgible for WIC?

I've know 2-3 FAIPS that went to WIC, and they didn't even need the waiver becuase they made IP in their first Ops tour post FAIP tour.

I've also known non-FAIPS who needed the waiver and those got approved.

Anything is possible...

Cheers,

Cap-10

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hoping to revive this topic if there are any FAIPs out there now.  My question is, could I track helos, do my Phase 3, come back to FAIP T-6 at Vance and then head to my first duty station as a helo driver?  I know this would be a round-a-bout way to get there, but looking at family complications as well. 

Thanks!

Hoping to revive this topic if there are any FAIPs out there now.  My question is, could I track helos, do my Phase 3, come back to FAIP T-6 at Vance and then head to my first duty station as a helo driver?  I know this would be a round-a-bout way to get there, but looking at family complications as well. 

Thanks!

Never seen or heard of it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks!

No, you can faip at rucker though in the TH-1

Ok, new question... Could I go T-6 ---> FAIP T-6 ---> Mother Rucker -----> Helo?

no.  Your wife's AFSC means she can go pretty much anywhere the AF owns an airfield.  Which is every place there are helos.  So just go helos and work the Join Spouse stuff after UPT.  Rucker is 6 months long, then Kirtland is another 6-9 months...you would rack up family sep pay during that time if she can't follow you to those places while you're in UPT/FTU.

• 11 months later...
31 minutes ago, Ho Lee Fuk said:

Does anyone know if there's an AF pub that teaches the fundamentals of flight instruction?  

When I was a T-38 PIT IP, I taught a 3 day "Instructor Techniques" class (I think that was the title).  It covered some of those same principals, and I was able to incorporate a little more of that type of information during my tenure there.  However, a good portion of the course was for going over grade sheets, and learning the specifics of how a gradebook is managed.  I didn't feel there was enough basic, overall info on flight instruction.  

My guess is that course still exists at Randolph, and you can get a copy of the manual.  

no.  Your wife's AFSC means she can go pretty much anywhere the AF owns an airfield.  Which is every place there are helos.  So just go helos and work the Join Spouse stuff after UPT.  Rucker is 6 months long, then Kirtland is another 6-9 months...you would rack up family sep pay during that time if she can't follow you to those places while you're in UPT/FTU.

Only if you have kids. Otherwise you will never get sep pay for mil to mil because you can't claim your spouse as a dependent.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

For the guy asking about helo's- Yup not possible to come back as a FAIP once you head to Rucker but you can stay there as a FAIP.

For the other question about IP techniques and such, I don't recall ever seeing one or something similar when I was at PIT ~2 years back.  Most of it was brought up in the brief/debrief, we might have had one class on it.

• 3 years later...

I am not a pilot and non-military. I read your forum to learn about a way of life relatively alien to me.

First and foremostly, THANK YOU for your service. The sacrifices you make over-whelm me with gratitude. I am an accomplished professional but I am humbled by what you do and the professionalism with which you do it. Secondly, Toro you make me giggle (i.e. The wild turkey).  If you are ever in San Antonio, let me buy you one of those.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

How long are FAIP assignments and how do post-FAIP assignments work? Do FAIPs fill out a dream sheet?

There is some older, limited information on this in this thread, but I am interested in the current situation. Thanks.

1 hour ago, ZR-1 said:

How long are FAIP assignments and how do post-FAIP assignments work? Do FAIPs fill out a dream sheet?

There is some older, limited information on this in this thread, but I am interested in the current situation. Thanks.

Short answer: Ask a current FAIP.

FAIP drop happens ~the 2-2.5 year point of being a FAIP with departing the base very close to 3 years post PIT.

FAIPs fill out a dream sheet with every eligible aircraft.  They are racked and stacked against their peers on base and amongst all UPT Wings.  Needs of the Air Force determine how many of which aircraft are available.  Just like a student drop, there is usually a smattering of everything.  

FAIPs can also compete for specialized programs like the U-2 and B-2.  Every now and then a T-1 trained FAIP might get a bomber, usually for Join Spouse.

13 minutes ago, Tunes3 said:

Short answer: Ask a current FAIP.

FAIP drop happens ~the 2-2.5 year point of being a FAIP with departing the base very close to 3 years post PIT.

FAIPs fill out a dream sheet with every eligible aircraft.  They are racked and stacked against their peers on base and amongst all UPT Wings.  Needs of the Air Force determine how many of which aircraft are available.  Just like a student drop, there is usually a smattering of everything.  

FAIPs can also compete for specialized programs like the U-2 and B-2.  Every now and then a T-1 trained FAIP might get a bomber, usually for Join Spouse.

Thanks for the reply. If your UPT class drop looks not so hot, is trying to FAIP a legit strategy to try and essentially get another drop?