FAIP Q&A

Skitzo

I get tired of this "I don't want my husband to FAIP" or " I deserve better than a FAIP job"

STFU!!!!

Wives, girlfriends, fiances: So you want to see the ######in world......buy a plane ticket....do you realize if you husband goes to his C-17 or 135 or whatever the hell else he'll be gone 1/2 the time anyhow? Then you'll be bitchin about how bad you want him to go back and get into AETC.

To you pilots who think FAIPing is a screw job in both T-1's and 38's: STFU...should have been #1 in your class then. Do you realize probably how close to you 6th choice airframe some of you might have been?? Now you have a chance to get your AETC tour out of the way and get a shot at the jet you want........so stop crying about it.

FAIPs are probably the most important people in AETC. They may lack experience but I see most FAIPs being a hell of a lot better at many IP tasks than the MWS guys. So instead of bitching, be honored of your role, take seriously the fact that you have the chance to keep f-sticks from going out and polluting the air force and realize that 3 years goes by quick.

Two things:

1. Not FAIPing doesn't ensure that you'll "see the world." We have been to Oklahoma, Texas, and Arkansas in our 6 active duty years.

2. We are exactly five years post-winging. My husband has been TDY or deployed about 28 out of those 60 months, and he wasn't gone as much as other guys in his squadron. Maybe your friend should consider things like that.

I'm sure the pilot is disappointed. He'll get over it...at least he didn't get a UAV.

The wife needs to take a deep breath and put on a smile. She's going to be awfully miserable for the next 4 years if she already has a crappy attitude.

Yet another case of a pilot and his spouse who are under the impression that Uncle Sam and the good ole' USAF care a lick about what they would like to do with the next few years of their lives. For the bro, STFU and enjoy your wings. For the wifey, stop assuming you have a clue what this is all about, and be happy for your hubby. Scheezus..........SNAPs.

Wheelz

Guest Cap-10

I was a FAIP.

I flew the sh!t out of that T-38....four corners of the US, more NASCAR flybys than I can remember, airshows, Class B airports (visiting the wife) and over 1,000hrs in the 3yr tour.

Since leaving the FAIP tour, I've:

been to SOS

been to safety school

been to AMRAAM school

deployed to OIF

deployed to OEF

been to Red Flag

been to WIC support

been the Mayor in a fighter squadron

been a Flight Commander

been an ADO

currently doing a remote/staff tour

will return to the cockpit following the remote

READ: I'VE DONE EVERYTHING A GUY WHO DIDN'T FAIP WOULD DO!

As Toro already posted with him link, FAIPs go to weapons school (I'm too dumb), to exchange tours (I don't even speak American correctly), and even get to command a fighter wing.

Bottom Line: It doesn't f@ckin matter. In fact, he should be tickled pink that he actually has a cockpit to sit in, instead of an easy chair flying UAV's.

Tell her to suck it up and drive on.

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

One slight variation......I was told a few weeks ago that the requirements for WIC had changed from 9 years to 8 years commissioned time (I can't find anything here at home to verify that either way). If so, it's going to make going to WIC as a FAIP pretty much in possible.

12 months UPT

4 months PIT

36 months FAIP tour

2 months IFF

8 months RTU

That's going to put you at 5 years, 2 months already...add in casual and PCS time and you're looking at at least 6 years in service already (when I start my ops tour I'll be at 6 years, 5 months). To get MR, 2/4 FLUG, IPUG, and selected for WIC in 1.5 - 2 years.....good luck with that.

Other than that, being a FAIP is a good deal. I'd do it again (sts) in a heartbeat....and I did not choose to be one.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Was reacently told that the AF doesn't FAIP older guys - is this true? I had heard that Captains going through UPT don't get FAIP, but not the older guys comment. As an older 2nd LT going through UPT, I'd like to know what others have heard or experienced. Is there an age limit to FAIP? Who usually gets FAIP?

Was reacently told that the AF doesn't FAIP older guys - is this true? I had heard that Captains going through UPT don't get FAIP, but not the older guys comment. As an older 2nd LT going through UPT, I'd like to know what others have heard or experienced. Is there an age limit to FAIP? Who usually gets FAIP?

There is no age limit to FAIP. There are multiple prior-E dudes that are now FAIPs. The Captain comment is correct. See 36-2205v4.

Just be a good intra-mural athlete at your pilot training base and the FAIPs will draft you come assignment night.

Word.

It seems however, that what the training squadrons are looking for in a FAIP is somebody that did very well in pilot training that also has that bro factor. Meaning they can still go out and push it up on Friday and Saturday without having to worry about a whole family to care of. Things that sort of come with being a little older.

what-the-hell-talking.jpg

• Upvote 1

If you are in pilot training or about to start just do your best and what is supposed to happen timing ,luck, and your skill compared to your classmates determine what will happen. Hope this helps.

FIFY

Edited by AZwildcat

It seems however, that what the training squadrons are looking for in a FAIP is somebody that did very well in pilot training that also has that bro factor. Meaning they can still go out and push it up on Friday and Saturday without having to worry about a whole family to care of. Things that sort of come with being a little older.

I'm a new FAIP. I guess they forgot to tell me that I didn't have the 'bro factor' anymore because I had a family.

Edited by brewskis

• 8 months later...

Anyone have any SA on FAIP career progression right now? Are fighter guys getting back to back ops tours or are FAIPs the first in line for staff gigs/RPAs after their first ops tours? Are the bomber guys getting upgraded to A/Cs and sticking around or are they getting sent of for staff jobs too?

Anyone have any SA on FAIP career progression right now? Are fighter guys getting back to back ops tours or are FAIPs the first in line for staff gigs/RPAs after their first ops tours? Are the bomber guys getting upgraded to A/Cs and sticking around or are they getting sent of for staff jobs too?

At least in my corner of the bomber world they are getting initial qual'ed as A/Cs and a fast track to instructor. No one goes to staff after their first ops tour (unless it lasts 8-10 years)—I think you seem to be asking whether they are hot for ALFA tours, and the answer is no as they are already ALFA complete. I know of two guys that are voluntarily leaving for Beale to be permanent party MC-12 dudes, and I know of one dude that got voluntold to do an MC-12 deployment between the BUFF FTU and MQT, but I haven't seen anyone's FAIP status keep them from getting what they want. I know of at least one WIC grad who was a FAIP and I know for a fact my Wing supports grade/TAFCSD waivers for WIC for dudes that got behind their timeline FAIPing or ALOing.

At least in my corner of the bomber world they are getting initial qual'ed as A/Cs and a fast track to instructor.

I had heard that they did this for the last few years due to a shortage of AC's in both the BUFF and Bone. How's the AC picture looking now? Is this whole sequestration thing going to mean that they are still short on AC's because there aren't enough young guys already in the airframe who are ready for the upgrade (therefore making it more likely that they'll continue to send FAIPs straight to AC), or is the sequestration going to clog the pipeline, causing there to be a lot of guys who are waiting on the upgrade that they should have gotten sometime this year (which would potentially max out the AC pipeline for the next year or so.)

In the viper world, you're also ineligible for WIC, on a "fast track" to BMC, and were probably passed over for major on the last board. But yeah, you'll stay in the jet.