CCT KIA OEF

Guest SATCOM

It is with great sadness that I inform you SSgt Timothy P. Davis, 23 STS Combat Controller, was killed in Action today supporting operations in OEF when the vehicle

he was riding in was struck by an IED. Memorial and funeral yet TBD.

Rest in Peace Young Warrior....

Guest AirGuardian

Prayers to the family and friends of our fallen CCT warrior hero.

Trained for that career field over 15 years ago to no avail. Over a period of 5 years, I was selected twice for Officer Pre-indoc and never got picked up. Toughest mental/physical challenge I've ever been through.

The CCT/PJ career field is the most hard core training in the AF period. Their accomplishments are stellar. Begging you to please take some time to review Air Force Combat Control and what they're all about if you've never heard of them.

A CCT or PJ may save your butts one day in our line of work.

Motto says it all: "First there . . . that others may live." :flag_waving:

AG

Godspeed! :flag_waving:

:notworthy:

I was in the SAT airport and had the pleasure of talking to some CCT guys. 19, 20 years old. I saw their jump wings and asked (knowing the answer) "Have you been to benning yet?" They answerd “well we have been in training mostly, hope to be CCT very soon” These guys were no more than 20 years old. Swapping stories about their instructors that kicked their ass in the pool and stuff like that. It was then (being a flyer) that I realized they were the real heroes. They knew what they were getting in to and couldn't be anything but proud. God bless all of them.

Edited by XL0901

From AFA...

More on Sergeant Davis: Air Force Special Operations Command has released more information about SSgt. Timothy Davis, the airman who died from wounds received when his vehicle struck an improvised explosive device last week. Davis, who was a combat controller with the 23rd Special Tactics Squadron at Hurlburt Field, Fla., had enlisted in the Air Force in 1999, training first as a survival, evasion, resistance, and escape (SERE) instructor. He entered training for the CCT field in June 2003 and two years later was assigned to the CCT Silver Team. He also qualified as a joint terminal attack controller. He was on his second deployment to Afghanistan as a JTAC at the time of his death. Maj. Travis Woodworth, 23rd STS acting commander said, "Tim was one of the first squadron members to volunteer for this recent deployment, despite just getting back from one less than a year ago." Woodworth noted, too, that Davis was "the epitome of the quiet professional that we in the Special Operations community strive to be." (AFSOC report by Capt. Laura Ropelis)

Godspeed! :salut:

Cheers! M2

Just got back from bringing the 23 STS to and from Tacoma and the funeral (should have been CH on the trip: sorry Boss). The whole squadron stood in the cold drizzle for about 2 hours to send him off. One of those events that recages the ole "duty gyro". :salut:

The crew I was on on my first deployment in the gunpig killed the IED maker responsible for killing Adam Servais back in '06. Gave his family the actual brass from the shot that turned the HVT into a pink mist. Hopefully we can honor Davis' memory in the same manner.

:beer: , Tim.

More news...

Fallen Airman Receives Bronze Star: SSgt. Timothy Davis, who was killed by a bomb Feb. 20 in Afghanistan, was posthumously awarded a Bronze Star Medal March 1. According to an Associated Press report (via the Bellingham Herald), Davis's wife Meagan was presented with the medal during a ceremony in the high school in Montesano, Wash., where he graduated in 1999. The 28-year-old Davis, born in nearby Aberdeen, was a member of the elite 23rd Special Tactics Squadron at Hurlburt Field, Fla. He died near Bagram of wounds suffered when his vehicle encountered an improvised explosive device. At least 80 of Davis' special tactics colleagues were in attendance, according to AP. Davis also received a posthumous Purple Heart at the ceremony.

Cheers! M2