C-17 Globemaster vs C-5 Galaxy Reserve lifestyle

Guest srvmcm

Anyone have some updated info on this topic? I don't know much about the reserves, but it seems like orders have changed a bunch since 2009. Is it still possible to make a living in the reserves with no other job? What is the reserve hiring climate right now for a current active duty C-17 IP?

• 1 month later...

Any 167th AW (West VA) folks want to chime in on any of the above? I know they are also transitioning to the C-17 soon, will it be business as usual only with a different plane, or entirely different when the -17 arrives?

• 5 months later...

A lot of good info on bumming. Anyone have any info on min running a C-17 or C-5 unit?

1) How little can you fly if you're trying to focus on a new civilian career?

2) Do units frown upon dudes flying just enough to stay current or do they consider it okay since enough dudes are trying to bum?

3) Do Guard/Reserve units expect flying requirements to increase or decrease with the Total Force Integration (TFI) push?

Can't speak for FRED & Barney units, but can speak to AFRC flying in my unit. I suspect that in these "challenging" times, these answers aren't gonna be too different, regardless of airframe/affiliation:

1. If you're already current & qualified, enough to stay current and off the bad-boy slides/lists.

2. My SQ officially does not like folks who (blatantly) fly only enough to stay current, vs. folks who fly enough for proficiency.

3. The answer from my SQ/CC recently: We don't know. I don't think anyone knows yet. And even if someone does know, by the time it's all said & done, it probably won't look anything like what they thought it would be.

edit: gramer, spelin

Edited by JarheadBoom

I'm actually also curious about holding down a non-airline civilian job while a Guard/Reserve pilot in a C-17 or C-5 Unit. If I get picked up by a unit within the next 2 years or so, my plan is to spend 2 years training and another 2 seasoning. After that it's off to graduate school to get an MPA, MBA, or MPP and then eventually on to a GS or corporate job. How reasonable is that goal?

Everytime I ask, I always hear "yes, provided you live close to both your base and your civilian job it's doable". However, don't most heavy units require flying 6-8 days per month at a minimum to stay current/proficient? I'm not really sure how it would be possible to miss that much work and still hold down a civilian job unless you work for an insanely flexible employer. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Edited by HFF

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Trying to avoid a whole new thread.

Do the comments here about reserve lifestyle apply to the guard as well?  Considering all heavy airframes at this point. Ideally looking to leave AD and fly when I want and deploy only if I want. How likely is that in the ANG?

• 11 months later...