Corpus Christi info

Guest joedirt

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring it up to your flight commander as soon as you check in to your flying squadron down there (that way there are no surprises later...)

Bust your butt, study hard, and there should be no reason they do not grant you leave for your wedding.

Yep, just let either TRAWING 4 STUCON or your squadron (depending on where you are in the syllabus) plenty of time in advance. They're usually willing to work with you on that.

By the way, congrats on getting Corpus, you'll like it here.

300 mile rule should be for weekend liberty, and VT-3 at Whiting allows AF students liberty with no restriction - other than your @ss being in the cooker if you aren't back for duty, no excuses. Leave shouldn't be a big deal, as posted above. (In case you haven't read between the lines, the Navy does things a bit more "officer training environment" vs "pre-k dayshchool.")

I personally would not suggest planning a 2 week Tahiti vacation for a honeymoon. That being said, STUDS have gotten a 5 or 6 day weekend for weddings and the birth of a child.

Lastly, if I read your other posts correctly, you are a guard guy, make sure you show early enough to get into VT-35...It makes all the difference.

Welcome to the Four Fans of Freedom world.

[ 17. September 2006, 21:48: Message edited by: ACJ7464 ]

A guy in my class just took leave for his wedding down here. There were no problems because as has been posted previously, he told them as soon as he checked in to Trawing 4.

do it before or after but there have been issues with studs coming in actinge like its Burger King wanting it their way. Have had some ridiculous talks to studs about being in UPT and realizing ones life is on hold for a year till winged practically.

I got married at the end of my first week of flying, which was by far the busiest part of the whole training program. It was no big deal at all. I left on a Thursday and showed up to fly on Monday. You'll have no problems getting your leave. Like others have said though, let your flight commander know as soon as you find out who he is.

[ 22. September 2006, 04:15: Message edited by: LockheedFix ]

• 11 months later...

Does anyone who has been through Winging/Graduation at Corpus Christi recently have any insight as to what to expect? I know the Navy way is a little different then the AF way. I was wondering how the drop process works and what the actual Winging/graduation is like. What do the wives wear to the winging? Do they get as dressed up as they would at an AF base? And about how long before graduation is the drop? Thanks for any help!

Drop is about 1-2 weeks prior to graduation. It's held during the day and nothing like Drops at the club at AF bases.

Graduation here at Corpus is rather informal - I'd go so far as to call it hokey compared to the formality you feel at a AF UPT graduation. They happen at 4pm at the Bay Club on base with some opening remarks, a guest speaker, and the presentation of the wings. Which is a simple handshake and then you have your spouse (or whoever) pin them on and a guy takes your picture. Yea, it's not as formal, but it sure feels more family oriented - bring the kids, grab a beer from the bar and sit back and watch the graduation.

Graduation lasts about an hour and then you're free to do what you want the rest of the night. There is no Dining Out, but there is an open bar at the club usually after 6-7 pm (most arrive closer to 8pm or 9pm), but everyone's in t-shirts by then. So, just plan dinner out someplace in town.

Anything you'd wear to a Dining Out would be too formal. Something you'd want to have your picture taken in with your spouse who'll be in their blues. Maybe what you'd wear to church, a business meeting, or a college graduation would be fine.

Hotel put it well -- it is informal and kind of a family affair. One thing to note too, is that unfortunately the room is not packed with students from the junior classes showing support like it is at a AF UPT graduation. I remember packing it into the standing-room-only auditorium just for a track select or drop - let alone for an actual graduation at an AF base...

At AF bases there seems to be a bit more tradition and as a graduate, your whole week is a special one with a lot of ceremonial activities. BUT, that is about the only drawback to the Navy program that I wholeheartedly enjoyed!

Hotel put it well -- it is informal and kind of a family affair. One thing to note too, is that unfortunately the room is not packed with students from the junior classes showing support like it is at a AF UPT graduation. I remember packing it into the standing-room-only auditorium just for a track select or drop - let alone for an actual graduation at an AF base...

At AF bases there seems to be a bit more tradition and as a graduate, your whole week is a special one with a lot of ceremonial activities. BUT, that is about the only drawback to the Navy program that I wholeheartedly enjoyed!

From what I remember for Pensacola, the Navy doesn't exactly schedule time off for students to attend wingings. I was flying, simming, or in class for most of them.

The big picture has been hit, I'll give you some details.

Does anyone who has been through Winging/Graduation at Corpus Christi recently have any insight as to what to expect? I know the Navy way is a little different then the AF way. I was wondering how the drop process works and what the actual Winging/graduation is like. What do the wives wear to the winging? Do they get as dressed up as they would at an AF base? And about how long before graduation is the drop? Thanks for any help!

Drop:

Like hotel said, it will be during the work week and no family or ceremony is involved. The week prior everyone will fill out a dreamsheet. The following week, the AF members of the"class" will meet with the AF admin guy. He will show the list of what dropped and will show the class's rank order based on their NSS scores. After that everyone picks from what's available by rank and generally there will be some horsetrading between the studs. No trumpets, no fanfare, everyone picks their plane and goes home. From there the studs receive orders within a week or two.

Winging:

Like Baseops said, in the AF it's a week long dog-and-pony show. In the Navy it's a one day thing. The studs take their family on a tour of the squadron in the morning to see the planes. In the afternoon, they take their families to the sims. I think both of those were optional. Before the ceremony starts, the studs will break their wings so they have them handy for the ceremony. The actual ceremony is in the evening. Studs will be in service dress, wives and family just dress nice casual. IPs and studs who aren't in the ceremony just wear bags.

Standard Ceremony:

1) Quick guest seaker (15 min tops)

2) Corpus mayor says thanks (5 min)

2) Present wings (Handshake, pin, photo, done)

3) Group photo

After that there is a short "formal" reception. You'll talk for a few minutes and eat some snacks. From there the REAL reception starts. Everyone moves over into the O'Club bar and the studs usually go change into bags. Booze it up, ring the bell until you're broke, UPT complete. After that, the gaggle will usually end up at Farah's or the Executive Surf Club.

Most Corpus grads like the Navy-style graduation. I thought one day of pomp and circumstance was more than enough, not to mention it took me about three days to recover from the hangover.

HD

Edited by HerkDerka

Thanks HerkDerka! Exactly what I was looking for, it's hard to get "details" around here. It sounds like a lot of fun and I'm glad I won't have to worry about getting a formal dress like I would have, had he tracked the other way.

• 6 months later...

Hey...I'll be heading down to Corpus soon, and I was wondering how people have been getting houses more recently on the island in corpus ? Are there any good realtors or websites ? Do most people still recommend just driving around until you find a place ? Any advice on areas to look and areas to avoid would be appreciated too. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Corpus is a different world than you're used to Kayla. The Navy doesn't care about timelines. Some people graduate from Corpus in six months and some graduate much later.

So the answer to your question is yes if that's what you want to do.

HD

Don't move into the blue house on Cruiser and Whitecap. It's address is 15301 Cruiser St. I moved out of there mid-December and I still haven't got my deposit back. Same goes for my room mates, and the guys who lived there before. If you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

Corpus is a different world than you're used to Kayla. The Navy doesn't care about timelines. Some people graduate from Corpus in six months and some graduate much later.

So the answer to your question is yes if that's what you want to do.

HD

OK! ultimately, that's what I was trying to get at whitout dissing the Navy. I've heard that they are kinda "lax" on trainings and such!

Our track Select date isn't until July 22, so we still have some time. Hell, my husband still isn't sure of what he even wants.

Guest Linda
Our track Select date isn't until July 22, so we still have some time. Hell, my husband still isn't sure of what he even wants.

Heh... I didn't make up my mind until the night before our "Dream Sheets" had to be in.

I wouldn't say the Navy is "Lax." I'd say that they're more concerned that you know your sh*t than being on some God-forsaken timetable that takes an act of Congress to change. That being said - don't make any travel plans for friends/family to come for winging until you're about a month to 3 weeks out... There weren't any USAF bubbas in the class ahead of me, and they pulled 4-5 of us forward 3 weeks of training to "even it out" a little.

Enjoy Corpus and the training... I still say I came out of there as the best damned instrument pilot I'll probably ever be... my skills have atrophied since (of course, I'm not concentrating on how to properly fly a no-gyro PAR or no-heading NDB as my sole purpose in life these days).

And should you be lucky enough to join the ranks of VT-31, be sure to pass along my kind regards to Harv and Andy (that'd be Capts Heck and Tynon).

Cheers! :beer:

Linda

As far as finding a place to live, there is a Remax and a Coldwell Banker on the island that have rentals. Its easier to rent through a company than through a person as far as hassle goes. I rented through Coldwell and they were pretty good about getting things fixed when they needed to and I got my deposit back with a month.

When you get to Corpus, they will assign you to a class and that class has an actual graduation date. Most of the Guard/Reserve guys get earlier class dates than the Active guys just based on first come first served. Sometimes they will move guys up a class if they get pretty far ahead, but they won't move you back (later) unless there are extenuating circumstances. That said, don't let folks buy plane tix until you are within a month of grad and are pretty sure the timeline will work out.

• 2 months later...
Guest joedirt

Well I've come full circle since starting this thread.... Just thought I'd give a heads up to other studs heading out that way.

I was recently stationed at NAS Corpus Christi. We came across Bay Area Rental Management. The realtors half-heartedly helped us look for a rental property and we ended up finding one. My wife and I told them that we would be getting a roommate a month later and they said don't worry about it, he doesn't need to be on the lease. We thought they were being kind. Come to find out, they won't give us our deposit back because we "sub-leased"!! Plus my orders had me leaving on 8 Jun, and they wouldn't pro-rate the rent. We had to pay the entire months rent. They are the only rental place on the island that doesn't pro-rate for military!! STAY AWAY!!

• 5 months later...

Any new housing gouge for NAS CC? I read somewhere that they were building new base housing. Anyone have any info on these? I like the convienience of living on base but I've heard the base housing isn't the greatest. Besides the island, any decent neighborhoods near base?