Corpus Christi info

Guest joedirt

Guest nickkra

I'm a UPT student hoping for T-44's. I have a wife, child, and a dog. Just wondering what the housing situation (on-base, rentals, etc.) is for AF Lt's going to Corpus for T-44 training?

Thanks for any advice.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a student in Corpus many years ago, and recently was an IP down there as well - the housing situation is SWEET!

I knew of very few folks that lived on base - they were in the middle of building / renovating new officer housing on base, HOWEVER, I would HIGHLY endorse living off-base.

If you choose to live off base, the opportunities are excellent. Both times, I lived on North Padre Island - as a stud, we (roommated and I) rented a fabulous party house right on the water, with our own dock, deck, and private indoor pool! We quickly proceeded to throw massive raging parties, wreck the place, and get in trouble with the Navy JAG, and get beat down...

This last time, as an IP (with a little more CA$H), I bought a nice house on Padre Island again, right on the water, with my own deck, dock, etc. Living waterfront is a unique priviledge that you are able to enjoy in Corpus.

There are plenty of rentals on Padre Island, from condos to homes, etc. Might as well enjoy your 6-9 months down there while your buddies are sucking it up in del rio / enid / columbus / et. al. Tons of fresh seafood. Excellent time, overall.

Much more info on corpus - hit the search feature (top of page)...

Guest borcherk

My wife, dog and I are in Corpus now. Rent here is pretty high. We pay $960 for a 3/bedroom apartment. Our friends who live on the island aren't so happy about that decision b/c they are so far from food, shopping etc. The housing office isn't very helpful so if you get your T-44 slot PM me and I can try to help.

Additionally, let me start by saying EVERY UNIT IS DIFFERENT but mine is making Little Rock a PCS now. With a family that will be huge!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KoolKat

Just arrived in Corpus...

I've already heard about Bay Point and Arbors, but does anyone have any other good places to check out? There are a crap load of places to choose from!

All your suggestions will help me narrow the search and are EXTREMELY appreciated!

I recommend staying on the Island - whether it is at the Beach Club apartments or getting a roommate and renting a house.

Watch out! I'd stay away from BAYPOINT if I were you - or if you don't value your belongings -- tons of crime there. A friend of mine had a brand new truck stolen, tons of break ins, guys had their u-haul broken into right in the parking lot, etc.

Guest scotime

I stayed at NAS baypoint but that's when it was new, nice, and not a log jam. Barring hurricane season, if I had to do it all over again I'd look at the island, or maybe see if there's something downtown near water street. Good luck and enjoy the flying club there.

Get with some buds and rent a house. Me & 2 Columbus buds paid $500 a piece to rent a 3 bedrrom place not 150 yards from the beach (Las Haciendas). It was 3 times bigger than any apartment you'd find out there. The places on the canals are nice too. Seemed to me like quite a few apartments had problems with vandalism or theft or what have you, but never heard of it out on the island. Good Luck.

Guest drelyn8

I recommend living in town, Summer House or Camden copper ridge, Cambden Breakers. These places are just as nice if not better... but no beach. No crime since I've been here, 5 months- knock on wood. Price is also cheaper than the island.

To each his own.

Good luck!

The island is nice because when you come home, you are away from the city lights and noises. It's 10 minutes from base and the traffic isn't bad at all. The JFK is done now, so there's really no backup any more. The Beach Club Apts are really nice (my home), and there are plenty of great houses to rent too. But all in all, I think the island is the place to be.

The Island is the way to go...if you're married...you're BAH ($1023) covers most or all of the cost of living in a standard duplex on the island.

If you're single, you BAH ($744) will do you quite well at the Beach Club. However the best deal for the single guys is getting a roommate or two in which case you can make some mad cash on a house or duplex on the island.

Money asside...i'm with the rest of these guys...the island rocks

• 2 months later...
Guest Frog1995

I went with my husband to Little Rock. We stayed at The Links in Sherwood in an apartment. No pets however. I would totally recommend her going though because you guys are home everyday around early afternoon. I got a job and wished I hadn't because I swear my husband was always at home. I look back on those times as the good ol days when we went to the C-130 he was gone all the time.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest OdetoBillyJoe

I started dating my husband (then boyfriend obviously) when he was at Little Rock. (He was in "The Links" as well Frog) It was AWESOME!!! We were long distance but the weekends were really great. XHawk - You will have lots of fun there. I agree with Frog...take your family if you can. Once you get to live in the C-130 world...you are gone ALOT!!! Maybe not so much once you get done, HOPEFULLY! I knew my husband when he was in Corpus as well...he lived on the island...LOVED IT!! The beach was his back yard. GOOD LUCK!! ~Leigh~

• 3 months later...

js7101, I am with the 50th and live on base. My wife and I really enjoy it. THe houses are old, built in the 50s but have been remolded in the late 80s earily 90s. They are nicer inside than thay look from the outside. THe have just started building new homes but it will be a few years down the road before the officer housing will be touched. I like the three minute commute to work.

Originally posted by bailey:

My wife, dog and I are in Corpus now. Rent here is pretty high. We pay $960 for a 3/bedroom apartment. Our friends who live on the island aren't so happy about that decision b/c they are so far from food, shopping etc. The housing office isn't very helpful so if you get your T-44 slot PM me and I can try to help.

Yes, living on the island puts you slightly farther away from shopping restaurants etc, but appearently the crime rate is lower, its cooler out here because of the breezes and, always important, any place on the island is only a short venture to the beach, ferrahs, winging parties etc. Its also nice to only have a 10-15 min drive into work for those "0 dark 30" briefs.

One downside is the cost of electricity here, and sales tax is a little higher then many people are used to.

[ 29. August 2005, 23:10: Message edited by: Zippy ]

Guest SpyGadget

If you are heading to Corpus I highly recommend the island. Give me a PM if you need a good realtor for home rental or purchase.

Yes - It's a little more expensive

Yes - You have to drive over a big bridge to get to the store

Yes - It's closer to base than most places

Yes - Crime is virtually a non-issue

Here are some pictures I took last week while fishing. If you like the water and the sand then the island is the place.

reel-sunset.jpg

DSC_3314.jpg

DSC_3283.jpg

DSC_3272.jpg

Guest lovelacm

I stayed at the Fairway Apartments on Everhart... Great place.. right near the HEB, and just down the road from Cabaniss (watchin' the UPS man while we bounced!?).

No, it's not at the Beach on the Island, but it's centrally located with little crime and it's a quick drive to the malls or downtown... heck, even work wasn't a bad drive.

Talk with a free apartment "head hunter" in Corpus... they hooked me up pretty well and w/o a penny from my pocket.

Enjoy Corpus!

The CRAB STORE Rules the WORLD!

Cheers!

Linda

Guest copenhagen

Now - what would be the best option if you are married and have 2 big dogs (100+ Lb)? So an apartment is pretty much out of the question. Somebody has to have done this with dogs...

I have a fence at my base duplex in CBM - should I bring it with me? I've never rented a house - what should I expect for downpayment/pet deposit? Are there any good online sites with rental info for the area that you know of?

Thanks

I showed up to Corpus in January 05 and just drove around the island looking for house rentals. There are a TON of private renters that don’t necessarily advertise with the local real estate agencies. If you go strictly through the agencies you will be led to believe there are only a few houses for rent.

I highly recommend the ‘drive around’ method. I also have a dog, so my wife and were limited to getting a house with a yard. Go onto the island, make a right at the 2nd light (Whitecap). There are networks of streets back there with many different styles of house, including some with boat slips right out back. My wife and I even bartered the guy down $200 a month on the rent… they LOVE military back there (big surprise).

The thing you’ve gotta watch out for is the yard. Many of the renters opt for the low maintenance ‘rock yard’ with absolutely no grass for dogs. You’ll have to drive around and see what’s available, but I looked at several houses with grass yards. They are in the minority, but they’re there.

I just left Corpus the last week in August and there are more houses there now than ever! Almost every street has some new construction… you will be able to find something if you drive around.

Guest Remy1492

I was going to do the Baypoint thing, $1000 rent a month etc...

Figured since I am PCSing there I may as well buy a house. You are right ken, there are new houses going up all over like weeds!

I lived in Sugar Tree in 2001, it was ok and close, and CLOSE is good for early mornings.

Anyone know/heard anything about The Shores? It's managed by Ropko and is located off of Ennis Joslin right by the bay and close to the base?

The location seems good, and I am a fan of the fact that its $200 bucks cheaper than the Beach Club... Who knows, maybe you get what you pay for. Thanks!

Guest KoolKat

Phlash, you get what you pay for; It's average.

It's much cheaper than baypoint, but if you can (i.e. are willing to) take the time to look around, you'll find something you like better for the same, if not lower, price.

I still suggest the "Motel 6 Aptartment Hunting Week," just to be sure you want a place before you jump in.

The Shores:

Location = 5 stars

Price = 4 stars

Quality = 3 stars

Management = 2 stars

(On a realative scale of course?!?! :confused: )

We should have all these F'in' places rated, I know the gouge pages has many comments; It would be nice if you caould collect the gouge on all the apts. If we could just establish a rating system, set-up a page for each location and then people could rate and make a comment...just a thought.

[ 08. September 2005, 11:47: Message edited by: Bender ]

• 1 year later...
Guest AV8NC130J

My fiance and I are planning a wedding and just found out that I will be in Corpus during the date- I know most of the bases have a 300 NM rule, unfortunately I need to travel much further than that. Do you think I can get away for a weekend while I'm there? Any help would be appreciated.