Work and ROTC at the same time

Guest K.E.

Hi

First I have to present my flame-insurance..

14azode.jpg

Is it possible to be active in AFROTC (pilot slot is my goal) and work at the same time? I don't want to be the cadet that is never around but I need to work so I can support myself.

Thanks

Hi

First I have to present my flame-insurance..

14azode.jpg

Is it possible to be active in AFROTC (pilot slot is my goal) and work at the same time? I don't want to be the cadet that is never around but I need to work so I can support myself.

Thanks

I'm assuming you're talking part time. If not, still read and heed, but keep in mind what I'm imagining.

Absolutely. I'm writing this as a senior in ROTC at one of my three part time jobs (sports medicine office, lieutenant of operations for an ambulance corps, road crew for another commercial ambulance). I also keep a healthy drinking lifestyle as part of my audited minor in medium priced beer. Don't overlap that too often and you're fine.

The AF recognizes that you do make an extra time committment, but also recognizes that you don't give your life away as a college freshman- hence requiring only what, 6 hours a week or so? As you become more senior and take on more responsibility the obvious need to manage your time better comes up. (Sidenote: I know that there's no way the AF actually tries to make it less of a pain in the ass, but in the process of assuming you're inept and mildly retarded, remands that you do drill and GLP's for some significant amount of (wasted/useless/kill me) time as an underclassman and then digs into your schedule later on- the 'help' is not on purpose, of course.)

Just be smart about it. Knowing that one of my jobs can legally keep me on the clock to two hours past my offgoing time under circumstances just means that I can't assume I can work until 0600 and hit PT at 0630. Should you have any other circumstances such as that, as well as your occasionally sporatic schedule/inavailability for the odd training event, let your employer know and they should be cool with it. Most employers will hear "Air Force", think and repeat to everyone else later that you're in the "Army", be all proud of you, and then promptly not know the difference between a legit military role and a cadet.

You may have a more difficult time being part if AAS or whatever ROTC cult you have available to you, but you don't need that if you have your shit together. It helps? Maybe, we're 50/50 on our ASS/non-AAS rated selectees this class.

Now, what will really screw with your schedule is a girlfriend. Then, you're ######ed.

I will second Stretch's comments. I currently hold a 20/hr per week job right now and although at times it is challenging, it is all about how you manage your time. In AFROTC you will (or should) learn time management, especially as a junior or senior. With a full class schedule, part time job, and ROTC corps job, things can get tight.

I have the girlfriend thing too, but Stretch is off. He must be single. Managing a relationship does add another level of complication but its all how you handle it.

To make a long answer short, yes, work away.

I will second Stretch's comments. I currently hold a 20/hr per week job right now and although at times it is challenging, it is all about how you manage your time. In AFROTC you will (or should) learn time management, especially as a junior or senior. With a full class schedule, part time job, and ROTC corps job, things can get tight.

I have the girlfriend thing too, but Stretch is off. He must be single. Managing a relationship does add another level of complication but its all how you handle it.

To make a long answer short, yes, work away.

I've been with the same girl now for about 2 years and she was very supportive back when I was in ROTC. She'd actually help shine my boots, press my uniforms, and do anything else I needed help with if I needed it. My first year as a 100 I got Valley Fever and was literally on the verge of death. If it wasn't for my girlfriend being so great, I wouldn't of been able to continue school, ROTC, and maybe life.

Sometimes girl drama can be a bit heavy when you have a lot going on, but if she's low maintenance and knows your goals and you support hers, I can't see any reason to deny yourself of a potential quality relationship. If she's immature and craves contention, bail as fast as you can. I have seen cadets rub off bad vibes to others around them because things weren't kosher with their significant other.

Depending on your load, choose wisely what you decide to do for a job. For instance; Cadet X from detXX was a Mech. Engineering major, WC, husband, and father. With 21 credit hours that semester, he was also working long weekends where he didn't get to spend much time with his family and child. This cadet also managed the grades, physical training, wing responsibilities, and hopefully some family support. I don't know how he managed it all, but I think it was because he managed his time so well. You can make or break your ROTC/College experience if you manage/don't your time wisely.

I don't know what DET your looking into, but I'll tell you that flight responsibilities can be taxing. I was working a loaded semester with hard classes and to top that, my FC decided to dump her job on me (mind you I was a GMC) because she was to lazy and incompetent to do so. Constant e-mails, phone calls, and texts asking me to do this and that while I was trying to study, and even while I was in class. You get the idea. I was doing to much and eventually had to tell her I couldn't do it all by myself. I was the ONLY GMC in my flight and the POC sat on their asses and did absolutely zilch. Nothing. It was a real bitch.

Manage your time wisely, and speak up if you take on to much. If your leadership isn't crap, they should understand and help you out somehow.

definitely possible. I actually think time becomes more constrained as a POC, but you definitely have learned how to manage your time better to make it work.

As a GMC, I didn't work. I spent long hours with friends/beer/internet/video games and chasing females. Also while joining two EAs.

As a POC, I managed 3 EAs, including higher level positions in one, a 20hr/week job, Senior Aerospace Engineering classes, all while having a girlfriend, still getting out with friends (usually via EA activities...), lots of video games, following sports teams, and Vice Wing commander. I also was able to dedicate myself to keeping fit too.

It's completely feasible, if necessary, to work a job or two. Especially if you find one (unlike me) that gives you the opportunity to study on the job. Again, POC life seemed a ton busier, but you figure out where to cut the slack and make it work. The time management you learn the first few years comes in very handy. I found myself on the internet a lot less, though video games and sports became my release from everything else.

If you feel yourself slipping, you have to be the first to notice the signs and cut the least necessary items.

Relax- I just threw the age old knowledge flag that women complicate things when they assume you're going to be on a regular basis. Geez. I'm just glad no one said they're married to the Air Force, as I've heard before. In that case, I'd have to figure out how to properly package and overnight a kick to the throat to wherever they're at.

Overall summary- keep your shit together, and you'll find time to do the things that you want. Likewise, you'll learn to toss the crap you don't need anymore.

I'll throw in my 2 cents here...

You can absolutely work and do ROTC at the same time! I worked full time, was married and had a kid while I was in ROTC. Our ROTC schedule dictated that I work weekends with 2 nonconsecutive days off during the week (helps to have a boss named Mr. Perot). It's tough, but as long as you can manage your time wisely and not overload yourself, you'll do just fine.

You also might want to mention the fact that you have to work to your commander. Hopefully he/she will be understanding of your situation and keep that in mind when you don't go to every recruiting event or every other little thing within the det.

Guest SpunkDagger
I worked full time, was married and had a kid while I was in ROTC.

That's impressive. Anyway I work part-time (weekends) have a girlfriend and am a crosstown. It works itself out if you really want to be there.

• 1 month later...
Guest ROTC Jew

I think it would really depend on the detachment. Stretch mentioned six hours, I only know from 4-5, unless you're counting ALt PT, in which case, ok fine, 6-7. But also, my detachment does everything on Friday's, so it's kind of all pushed off to the end of the week, whereas others have things staggered out throughout. Also some detachments will give more extra-ROTC stuff than others, so you should really check what the time commitment is in reality. I know most cadets in my Detachment have some sort of job or another, and they manage it just fine. As I always say, it's not easy, but it's doable if you want to. Good luck!

I think it would really depend on the detachment. Stretch mentioned six hours, I only know from 4-5, unless you're counting ALt PT, in which case, ok fine, 6-7. But also, my detachment does everything on Friday's, so it's kind of all pushed off to the end of the week, whereas others have things staggered out throughout. Also some detachments will give more extra-ROTC stuff than others, so you should really check what the time commitment is in reality. I know most cadets in my Detachment have some sort of job or another, and they manage it just fine. As I always say, it's not easy, but it's doable if you want to. Good luck!

You're lucky. The DET here does PT on Mon/Wed/Fri at 6 am. FTP every Tues at 6 am. LLAB every Thursday at 6 am, and then classes are usually held on that day too. The det here is as extreme as it gets. If all of your time ISN'T consumed with ROTC overload, you aren't gonna make it.

To future cadets. I recommend you shop around at different dets to see which one will help you succeed the most. ROTC is gay enough that the less of it you get, the better.

Edited by yerfer

Incoming .02...

I worked 25-30 per week, did ROTC, and was taking classes full time. It's tough, and it can mess with your social life sometimes (working weekends and whatnot), but it's not impossible by any stretch. Let your det know that you are working part time (or full time), they will work with you on FTP if that's your concern. Most instructors understand that a lot of guys (and gals) have to work through or pay for college, they should work with you.

Guest 055-NOS

You'd be surprised at how much you can do at once if you practice good time management which is as easy as keeping up a planner and and "To Do" list at all times. I was active in a fraternity, worked 20-30 hrs a week, had a girl, and still got a good GPA and my slot. ROTC really doesn't take too much time, especially at the lower levels. The only time I really found myself busy with ROTC was when I was Ops Group Commander.

Take as a light of class load as possible - there's nothing wrong with dragging it out a little and enjoying it as much as possible. Cut out the extra useless shit like Halo and reruns of South Park and you'll still have plenty of time to go drink and get your creep on. For a while I also had a job as a lab attendant where I was paid to just sit there and do nothing (aka paid homework time) - try to score one of those.

Can't be done, working interferes with drinking and chasing tail. Go get some loans and grants (to pay for the drinking and tail), and pay it all off once you get a steady paycheck but only after you buy some cool, bitching lieutenant-mobile!

Seriously, I wasn't married but I worked full time, went to school full time, got laid regularly (those were good days) and did AFROTC. I am sure there are some wasted hours in your day you can sacrifice. How much sleep are you getting? Learn to get by on less...

Cheers! M2

Or better yet, bartend in your collegetown. Did it for three years while in ROTC and allows the best of all worlds: Chase tail, do shots, and make a ton of cash.

Also recommended: the five-year option and studying abroad for a semester in Sydney. If you're on scholarship, the AF will actually pay out the same amount for a semester abroad as if you were still at your home school, and absolutely NO ROTC gayness!

Enjoy dude... :beer:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tenguFlyer

I am going to say it depends on Det. At my det people work and complete ROTC but they statistically dont perform as well. Working cadets usually earn less scholarships, less rated slots and often don't have as many oppurtunities open to them. A lot of this depends on how the C/Wing is managed and the cadre. Some Det's cadre will expect more of you than others.

So in jist... you could... but realise it might impact your performance. I highly reccommend some loans/grats/hard work and get a scholarship. Then you don't have to worry about it.