Advice on Guard and the Regionals

Guest delta

I don't know if anyone out there is thinking on doing the same, but any advice or insight on my situation would be greatly appreciated.

After UPT and "seasonal training" I plan on getting on with a regional airline (if they're hiring). Correct me if I'm wrong, but a fighter guy might come out of "home station training" with around 400-500 total hours right? Therefore, someone in my situation might need to get 500 or more hours on the civilian side so that he can apply with a regional airline once he/she is through with active orders. I think most regionals want around 1,000-1,500 total hours don't they? Now, I know I'm getting way ahead of myself here, but I'm just trying to come up with a game plan. Ultimately, I would like to get a full time job with my guard unit, but if that's not in the cards do any of you think getting on with a regional airline would be a good idea? I guess what I should ask is is this something that's done by a lot of other flyers too? If so, I would imagine that it is pretty time consuming and you're probably never home. Anyway, if any of you are guard or reserves and fly for the airlines too I would appreciate any feedback on your schedule/lifestyle etc. Plus, if this is my plan should I pay to get around 500 hours before getting the rest while at UPT and at home stationing? I hope this has all made sense, but I think you get what I'm trying to ask here. Basically, if there's not a chance for a full time job in the unit, I want to be ready and qualified to make an immediate transition into the regionals. Thanks for any feedback...

Guest theflyboy1

I'm trying to fly for the guard, too and I've asked a lot of pilots about civilian jobs after going "part time." Most of them fly in some form, and many of them for airlines. I'm sure pilots in the guard now can tell you much better than I can. If you do not have enough hours time after home station training, then you could always fly to build up hours as a CFI or some other type of commercial pilot. Good luck, hope this helps.

tfb1

Guest dumaisj

Dude, if you're with a fighter unit and finish MQT, you won't have a problem getting a right seat with a regional. 500 hrs of single-engine time prior to UPT isn't what they're looking for. Finding a DESIRABLE regional job is a different story...

Guest dumaisj

Mission Qualification Training (MQT)...essentially, the training you receive at your home unit prior to becoming a professional Bum.

Delta,

A post-MQT guard dude should not have too much trouble getting attention at a regional. What you're going to bump up against is their minimums. The lowest they tend to go is 600/2 these days. With a fair dose of turbine PIC from IFF, and whatever you get in your fighter once qualified, you're competetive. What you're going to have to do is either get a full time position, or build your hours up a bit by flight instructing, banner tow, pipeline patrol or whatever flying gig you can get your hands on. (Try something teaching in a twin, as getting qualified to do so will remove your centerline thrust restriction.)

Here's the big mistake a lot of folks make: If you've got the minimums, APPLY. Let the airline decide whether you're competetive ot not. A lot of folks won't apply for a job because they don't "think" they have enough flight time, PIC, lunar landings, whatever. Let the airline HR folks decide whether or not you should be hired.

Hey dumsaisj, when you say it's difficult finding a desirable regional job, are you speaking from any experience? You're actually somewhat off-base with your assertion. Care to elaborate? (Disclaimer: There are some stinkers out there, but there also a few places from which one could happily spend their career.)

Guest dumaisj

I meant only that with the minimums, it'll be harder to find something near home that isn't a 1900. There are certainly nice ones to be had (we've got a dude who is 26 and a Captain in a CRJ, just leaving for AMS). I didn't mean to imply that the regionals are crap, only that he'd have a tougher time finding something ideal for a Guard bum, i.e. nicer ride, no need to travel xc just to get to work. It'd be a lot more difficult to juggle, but it certainly can be done.

Guest dumaisj

LJDRVR, I see you're out of Houston...I used to train out of The Woodlands, thought I'd say hello to a fellow Texan.

[ 20. January 2005, 09:15: Message edited by: dumaisj ]

Along the lines of building time as a flight instructor - I understand that it actually takes a little time and money to get your CFI/CFII right out of UPT (assuming no prior time). You still have to meet all of the requirements like X hours of instruction in the right seat of a 172 and X hours in a complex aircraft etc. Plus you have to pay the hundreds for ground school and the written tests. I hear it is about $2-3 grand for your instructor ticket AFTER you have your instrument, commercial, multi out of UPT. Tack on almost another $1000 for your CFII.

I guess I am wondering if it is worth that investment to try and build up time or is it better just to bum around and get the time that way?

Guest egovolo

For the latest scoop on what the regionals are doing, what their hiring trends are like and what the interviews are like, try visiting:

www.aviationinterviews.com

I think the membership fee is around $5 a month. It is nice to have various perspectaves from the newhires (as well as those not hired) by the regional, majors and even the fractionals.

Guest tedstriker

Let me give you the skinny on this issue. Flying for a regional is going to disappoint you big time. Especially after MQT. Yes you can get a flying job with a regional. You wont have the mins for a bunch of them, but it does't mean they wont consider you for employment. You have to find the right person to get your app to the correct person. Who to avoid and who you WANT to work for.....Avoid like the plague....great mistakes (or Lakes), Pinnacle, Mesaba, Mesa. Work for...Skywest, Air Wisconsin, ComAir, Continental Express, AA Eagle....It also depends on what you are looking for. If you want mega fast CA upgrade...Mesa would actually be the best oppurtunity but consider yourself warned!