Life at Al Dhafra

Guest Beatle405

The gym is comically small for the amount of people we have here these days. On the plus side, there's a giant BX now that's filled with useless stuff. Who the hell is buying food and formal wear out here?

Or motor oil...

Big ol tent same ol bx..

Just walked by the camel and saw a ton of beer bottles in the dumpster... Good signs!

However, mantanistan is always rockin

• 4 months later...

I just got back; there were a few -10 crews that got off base a few times during their standard-duration deployment, so in theory it's possible once you get your Emirati badge. If you want to do this, I highly recommend getting signed off as an off-base driver; it will open up a lot more options for getting off base on your own schedule, plus you could make some money/score some free meals from crews looking for a driver to get them off base for a non-MWR day trip.

All this is, of course, dependent on how willing your leadership will be to let you go off base frequently.

Any updates? Specifically, if your wife comes to visit Abu Dhabi for a month or so or her company is easily able to move her there what are the chances that you'll get out to get out to see her frequently If your work schedule allows for 365 types.

Visiting during the day shouldn't be an issue, but there is a curfew restriction that folks have to be in their cells for lights out at midnight. It might be different for perm party, but you should look into it before making promises to your other half.

Edit: And '2' for what Jarhead said. Off-base driver is a MUST!!!

Edited by B.M.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 years later...
4 minutes ago, fox two said:

Looking for some up to date gouge, was offered an attractive non-flying short tour, claiming off-base oceanside condos. Inputs? Leadership climate?

heard that's a pretty sweet deal

12 hours ago, fox two said:

Looking for some up to date gouge, was offered an attractive non-flying short tour, claiming off-base oceanside condos. Inputs? Leadership climate?

Got the same email. Bros in the office say it’s a sweet deal, I’ve been gone so much over the past few years otherwise I’d probably put in for it too.