Post Editing

slacker

I recently had a post edited, I think from a mod. I imagine it was for general internet smartassery but the original post does not say "This post has been edited by ______: Today, 11:55 AM" or whatever the edit tag at the bottom of a message displays. I went into the orignal post and edited it myself, and the post does not display edited by slacker. Is my crap broken?

Edited by Flare

Mine is the same way...It was not a new found ability to avoid typos as some may have suspected.

BENDY

Interesting, but not surprising. Certain elements of the Baseops moderating team are becoming less and less open, and more and more authoritarian in their style and tone. And I am not talking about epic responses by Toro to UTFSF posts...

Regarding the moderator style in above post - I can tell you the "edited by" legend glitch had nothing to do with that...

I just had a spare moment and did some poking around the permissions -- somewhere in the migrations/upgrading of software, etc. the permissions for many of the user groups got messed up. Several groups (including Super User, Supreme User, etc.) had the ability to negate the "edited by" legend. That has been removed.

Enjoy.

With Baseops' explanation (of certain users being able to bypass the 'edited by' function), I think I know what happened. A certain somebody quoted two completely separate and extremely long (like 69 sentences long) posts-- rather than taking a quick snippet of the two -- in order to post a one sentence kindergarten response. Said quotes and responses were removed by a moderator who shall remain nameless because they detracted from the thread. When a moderator edits your posts, they can bypass the 'edited by' function and when you go back to re-edit it, the 'edit by' function has already been disabled.

That's my best guess, anyway.

So I discovered a flaw in permissions, that's got to be good for a free membership right?

A certain somebody quoted two completely separate and extremely long (like 69 sentences long) posts-- rather than taking a quick snippet of the two -- in order to post a one sentence kindergarten response.

Noted- I'll try to do better on the appropriate quote use, however, I can't stop with the kindergarten responses. Sorry.

Bottom Line: Moderators CANNOT bypass the "edited by" legend. There WILL be open disclosure when a user and/or Moderator edits anyone's post.

The right to bypass the "edited by" legend has still been reserved to ADMINs (just Toro and I) -- although I can say I sparingly edit another person's post -- usually just for vulgarity (as in the case of M2).

Bottom Line: Moderators CANNOT bypass the "edited by" legend. There WILL be open disclosure when a user and/or Moderator edits anyone's post.

The right to bypass the "edited by" legend has still been reserved to ADMINs (just Toro and I) -- although I can say I sparingly edit another person's post -- usually just for vulgarity (as in the case of M2).

Vulgarity? Who? Me? No way! :nob:

Cheers! M2

Yes YOU!!!

Edited by ClearedHot