Baseops Forums
slacker

WTF? (**NSFW**)

1 hour ago, D_Vezencuando said:

Not trying to establish a pattern … just wondering if, how Vrot changes for gusts or high crosswind.  

To your original post - I have no info on any of the 3 events, conditions at the time, etc.  In general, if the winds are within the a/c limits and the flying pilot puts the appropriate cross-wind controls in during takeoff roll, dragging a wingtip shouldn't happen.

Normally increasing Vr is a procedural option when it's used as a precautionary measure against potential windshear.  The rationale is you unbalance the field and use any extra runway available to put extra smash on the jet (usually a max of 20 knots above the normal computer Vr depending on conditions, runway limits, etc).  The extra energy gained doing this will hopefully aid during a windshear encounter once airborne.  I've never heard of increasing Vr for crosswinds or gusts alone, but maybe some operators do it.  I think proper flight control inputs and the typical performance buffers available for most takeoffs are probably all that's normally required.

On 4/15/2019 at 7:59 PM, nunya said:

I don't think the airlines need a safety down day, if that's what you're getting at.

Every day is a safety down day at the airlines.

• Upvote 1

As a former flight test guy, I’m appalled that anyone would have thought the MCAS system as designed was a good idea. If Boeing doesn’t get their shit together rapidly, they will be out of business in a very short timeframe.  The rampant FOD problems and the design decisions on the 737, KC-46 and 787 paint a terrible picture. 

Not or a fan of the NYT, but received this from a friend this morning.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/20/business/boeing-dreamliner-production-problems.html

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, M2 said:

WTF??  That is a couple minutes of my life I'll never get back....

On 5/8/2019 at 7:10 AM, Darth said:

WTF??  That is a couple minutes of my life I'll never get back....

If that's how you feel you're in the wrong thread brutha..... 

14 hours ago, FLEA said:

If that's how you feel you're in the wrong thread brutha..... 

Image result for He's got a point meme

1 hour ago, thoma015 said:

20180521_114302.jpg

Why would you post this in the WTF thread? That’s entirely normal. 

7 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

Probably because it's in the wrong spot...the switch is normally on the yoke/wheel/stick because it's used so much. More convenient that way, ya' know. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

Miss marked, that is for more cow bell sounder.

On 11/21/2017 at 10:07 AM, matmacwc said:

Gotta do a full penetration afterwards.

navyholding.jpg

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/05/14/the-navys-probe-into-sky-penis/

FOIA from #skypenis

“Dude, that would be so funny,” the pilot said. “Airliner’s coming back on their way into Seattle, just this big (expletive)ing, giant penis. We could almost draw a vein in the middle of it too.”

Soon, the EWO reported they were definitely “marking.”

They had found the sweet altitude, and the contrail sky penis was being born in their wake.

“Balls are going to be a little lopsided,” the pilot advised.

“Balls are complete,” he reported moments later. “I just gotta navigate a little bit over here for the shaft.”

9 minutes ago, Breckey said:

And that’s about the only time you think to yourself, “man I’m really glad I fly an airplane too old (and neglected enough) for any kind of CVR.”

Edited by SurelySerious
Caveat

13 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

And that’s about the only time you think to yourself, “man I’m really glad I fly an airplane too old (and neglected enough) for any kind of CVR.”

CVR erase is a game-saver.

18 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

Yeah, without the CVR that should have been easy to explain away.  "Well, sir, down here we were in a standard figure-8 holding pattern to maximize our sensors downrage.  Then we pushed into the target, got lit up, and performed an immediate egress to reset in the marshal."
But with the CVR...

• Like 1

CVR FDR circuit breaker pull

Post flight debrief to mx = something wrong with CVR. 

Mx resolution = pilot stupid, cb popped

Smiles all around..... or so I've heard 🙄😉

These guys made a decision, formulated a plan, and executed with high efficiency and precision (aside from the slightly lopsided balls). I’d say the CVR evidence supports the fact that these two officers are highly effective military aviators and the skydick episode should be taught to every UPT student as an example of what to aspire to (might need a trigger warning for the weak kneed though).  A toast to these goddamned American heroes! 🍺🍺🍺🍺

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Prozac said:

aside from the slightly lopsided balls

That isn’t normal?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Prozac said:

These guys made a decision, formulated a plan, and executed with high efficiency and precision (aside from the slightly lopsided balls). I’d say the CVR evidence supports the fact that these two officers are highly effective military aviators and the skydick episode should be taught to every UPT student as an example of what to aspire to (might need a trigger warning for the weak kneed though).  A toast to these goddamned American heroes! 🍺🍺🍺🍺

The Air Boss (Navy 3-star Admiral) basically wagged his finger at them and said "shame, shame". Both guys recently promoted. 

For once, logic prevailed. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bigred said:

The Air Boss (Navy 3-star Admiral) basically wagged his finger at them and said "shame, shame". Both guys recently promoted. 

For once, logic prevailed. 

He probably did coke off of some hookers ass at Tailhook back in the day so he didn’t see the problem.

• Like 1

That article was quite entertaining to read, and I would have loved to have been a part of that crew. The only thing I would have done differently would be to keep the pics I took.

You can draw some interesting things in WX holds in RPAs. You just have to increase the time on the history trails in Zeus, and all the glorious detail is revealed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk