WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

Nanny Cam Shows Intruder Beating NJ Woman Near Kid

Pretty fvcked up. The only good thing is that it was all caught on tape so hopefully they can catch the asshole. Shame she didn't have a gun. I always keep my doors locked while I'm inside and if I hear something strange, I'm heading straight for *one* of my firearms...then I go investigate what I heard. Same thing when I hear a knock or ring at the door, unless I know someone is coming over...and even then, I may throw the little pocket pistol in the pocket. Poor Joe1234, he just can't believe something like this actually happened!

Constitutionally it was the correct call. I'm actually somewhat surprised it wasn't a 6-3, 7-2 decision with Roberts crossing over, along with Thomas merely on Constitutional grounds. As for Prop 8...no clue how that will be ruled--it will probably be a 5-4 decision either way.

What's funny is that the libs were calling SCOTUS a Right-Wing court after yesterday's VRA ruling where as today the libs are saying the Court was correct--bunch of hypocrites.

I now kinda want to marry my dog then tell my more conservative friends they were right all along.

Well contrary to what stupid PETA-type people believe, animals don't have Rights. And it's kind of hard to enter into a personal contact if there is not another person. I seriously don't understand the difference between gay marriage and plural marriage, marriage amongst siblings, etc.

I seriously don't understand the difference between gay marriage and plural marriage, marriage amongst siblings, etc.

I think that was exactly the point Huggy was making; which was mocked but never addressed. So without emotion, can someone tell me what exactly the limits are WRT marriage? It seems we all agree dead people are out. What about 4 brothers, all consenting adults?

Well contrary to what stupid PETA-type people believe, animals don't have Rights. And it's kind of hard to enter into a personal contact if there is not another person. I seriously don't understand the difference between gay marriage and plural marriage, marriage amongst siblings, etc.

You make a good point. I'm thinking 3-5 years before marriage is further redefined to include plurality. After all, there are many existing plural relationships that are not currently provided equal protection and benefits under the law. They would be if legitimized through contractual marriage.

ETA: Bonus, it is even biblical.

Edited by HU&W
  • Upvote 1

I think that was exactly the point Huggy was making; which was mocked but never addressed. So without emotion, can someone tell me what exactly the limits are WRT marriage? It seems we all agree dead people are out. What about 4 brothers, all consenting adults?

To me it's not about marriage, it's about contacts. You can say you're married to whoever you want, but it all comes down to what the government recognizes in the form of a contract and then subsequently gives out benefits for being in such a contract (the root of the problem IMO). Here's the problem--social Conservatives don't want gay marriage and liberals/left moderates do. The problem is that the majority of both of those groups don't truly want Liberty.

To me it's not about marriage, it's about contacts. You can say you're married to whoever you want, but it all comes down to what the government recognizes in the form of a contract and then subsequently gives out benefits for being in such a contract (the root of the problem IMO). Here's the problem--social Conservatives don't want gay marriage and liberals/left moderates do. The problem is that the majority of both of those groups don't truly want Liberty.

Shack. I personally think the government should be kept out of marriage contracts. I do think it is fully appropriate for the government to grant a Domestic Partnership License or to certify a Domestic Partnership Contract between any consenting adults who wish to form a government recognized family. Marriage, on the other hand, is a thing of religion. Allow the religions to define marriage as the wish and perform marriages under that construct. In some religions it could be the standard nuclear family. In others, it could be the aforementioned four brothers. My real fear is that social changes, which result in government/political changes, will then result in the persecution of religions who hold to traditional beliefs and political pressure to change them. I say keep government and religion separate and let individual citizens choose the religion they wish to be a part of, along with its standards.

• Upvote 1

I guess we'll see if the government commits to that level or not. Penn Jillette talks a lot about how he got married, not because he and his wife really believe in marriage, but because his lawyers told him there was no set of contracts they could draft that would offer the same protections for the surviving spouse and the kids as marriage. Any other contract has the potential to be the subject of lawsuits and legal battles for custody of the kids, but with a marriage, custody is automatically awarded to the surviving spouse.

The left in this country will never support benefits being taken away...especially now to that they will be extended to people in their base. Same goes with the majority of those on the right. It's the destruction of the country IMO. I'm talking purely fiscal issues here.

I was joking.

Marriage, on the other hand, is a thing of religion.

Wrong. Holy Matrimony is religious. Marriage is not.