WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

I know a guy who just got the same shaft. Wouldn't be surprised if you know him. From the RUMINT I got it was due to paperwork neglect by the folks who are supposed to be looking out for trainees at Corpus (wondering if there is a trend of -130 guys who got RIF'd). Not sure if there was supposed to be some PRF-like document saying "this guy isn't a douche" or "no DUIs", but in essence whoever was responsible submitted them blank...and the message was received loud and clear at AFPC. Unfortunately whoever fucked up on this one won't be held accountable.

Our unit either caught it when it was too late or didn't even see it coming. Everyone is saying the unit has failed them, but lets be honest...if you were working in an undermanned exec shop and a new LT with no discriminators came in asking for you to do an early OPR for his captains board...what would you honestly tell him? It's not a failure at the unit...but at some other level. We shouldn't have to be worrying about pumping up new LTs records with drivel in order to save their careers.

Could always go VFR direct to Gen Welsh with a well-written letter. Normally not advisable for your career...but who the hell cares now. He is always strumming the "people first" strings, it might get through to him.

For the meantime, use up all the benefits while you can!

I dont know who they use as a board president for these Capt boards, but I assume it is an O-6. The rational side of me wants to believe there is more to this story than just a bunch of LTs with spotless records getting kicked out or delayed a promotion because they dont have enough OPRs or their PRFs were lacking because of neglect or undermanned exec shops. However, the way things have been going at AFPC and the perceived mismanagement (my opinion only) over the past few years, I believe it is actually happening that way. I really want to believe that no one above the O-6 level knows this is going on AND actually approves the practice...I'm guessing they just get briefed that it is 'normal' force shaping initiatives. There is a cancer at AFPC driving this stupidity, and they need to explain themselves and be held accountable. When we are bitching about spending cuts, the last thing we need to do is waste millions of dollars training aircrew and then kicking them out because they don't have enough OPRs...this is beyond ridiculous. Someone needs to be fired immediately. How in the f*ck does anyone explain to congress why there is a pilot shortage when this buffoonery (and previous RIF buffoonery) is taking place?!? There has to be more to it...Smh

I wonder how this will effect my careerfield now that we have the 6-month PCS for initial training. Waiting on clearances could delay initial OPR at the Sq and depending on initial assignment there are some serious length schools that could impact the rating timeline.

Granted it's nowhere near the "deal" you rated bubbas get, but if it gets more competitive for O3 (why wouldn't it) that could ding the cyber field. It's super shitty what's happened to you guys.

Two Dogs....KIO.....don't talk to the media or write a book....technique only.....holy crap I'm ashamed and was a light grey guy....someone needs to call an IP meeting and debrief this crap or you'll wind up with more "No Easy Days"!

PS...nothing from a weasel or air to air scenario in the last 22 years merits a book......on the other hand CAS and PR have at it!

Let me clarify, he was an F-16 dude/patch that is well respected by everyone that knows him. I second, though, what OL Patch said.

C'mon man. Not everyone.

Far fewer after this douchemanlike conduct.

I have no dog in this fight. I'm truly curious about your opinion, Rainman.

Is it the man, the conflicts/wars (i.e. clubbing baby seals, etc), the book, or all/some of the above?

Plenty of Vietnam era pilots who aren't on par with Robin Olds wrote what I consider very good books as their careers wound down. Thud Ridge, Pak Six, My Secret War to name just a few. Was writing those books "douchemanlike" too or do you see this situation differently?

Thanks.

Edited by JeremiahWeed

The approach and marketing is sickening.

I have been super lucky to have met Broughton and Drury. Drury signed a couple books for me and my guys gave me a Mike Machat Sandy One print signed by Drury. They are among my my prized possessions.

The common thread among these guys is that they are humble and they wrote those books to make a statement about how the war was fought with a focus on shitty ROE and bad leadership. Never did they claim to be the most lethal fighter plot in history. I mentioned a couple other Thud WW guys earlier. Humble Medal of Honor heroes. Same with Bernie Fisher. They would never say the kinds of things Two Dogs is saying to market his book. He is acting like he is the modern day Robin Olds.

I know most of the guys around here are not bothered by all the over the top bullshit in the marketing of this book. I just struggle to listen to someone brag because he destroyed 21 SAM/AAA sites like that's a big deal. I know lots of guys who have dueled with way more SA threats, killed more "targets" and had more shit shot at them and never even had a medal submitted because it was simply part of their job. I have mentioned a couple experiences I have had to serve as examples and a few guys around here have not hesitated to point out that I sound like I am bragging my ass off. Fair enough, really.

From what I can tell from all the marketing and interviews the book is about what a badass he is. I think there's a great story to be told about the CJ carrying on the legacy of the F-105 guys. The boat was missed on that one, or so it seems.

I hope the book is good. I won't read it.

Nothing ruins a good war story like an eye witness and the best stories are those told by someone who witnessed the events.

Most Helpful Critical Review-

Anyone that knows Two Dogs can tell you he is as pompous as they come. It is not swagger, it is pure unadulterated B.S. I remember him riding shotgun with me over Turkey (ONW) and sleeping most of the time. How bout when he got fired as a DO? Some will call me a hater, but reach out to his Bros and they will give you the straight skinny on this guy.

Wow.

Thanks for the perspective Rainman. I can’t say that I disagree with anything you posted. I was holding off on jumping on the “dog-pile” (sts) but I can’t any longer. I will not buy the book but I did skim the stuff available on line.

I flew an F-15C on the same 19 Jan Desert Storm mission out of Incirlik AB that 2-dogs describes as he opens his “Elephant” chapter. There was only one daylight strike that day and I remember seeing him in the brief. I may try to find the book in a bookstore someday just to see if his description jives with mine. I was just another 1Lt wingman and we had no interaction that day or on the multiple missions that followed. I doubt if he would even know me.

The reason I remembered him that day is because I went to field training at Eglin with him and his act there was difficult to forget. I remember him as the A&M guy who wore his hat weird. It was down so far on his brow I thought he might walk into a tree if he wasn’t careful. It also had the back in a fighter pilot “crunch” but just a little. It wasn’t enough to warrant correction but looking back it was obvious what was going on. Not a pilot candidate at the time, I had no clue that it was intentional or what if meant.

The most notable event was during some kind of classroom meeting with a current F-15 1Lt wingman. I’m sure it was designed to get a recently commissioned, new guy perspective on life in the AF as a pilot. 2-dogs asked the guy, “What’s the best thing about being an F-15 pilot”. The Lt gave a pretty lengthy answer about the jet, its mission/capabilities and throws in a goofy line about getting all the girls in the bar. 2-dogs responds with a simple “Good”, as in “Good, that's what I thought and I’ll be joining you soon – I just need to get through the formalities like ROTC, UPT and RTU.” The Lt just shook his head as a few of us rolled our eyes in disbelief.

I guess he got his second choice out of UPT. :thefinger:

I’m sure we all have moments during our college years and even early in our AF career that show a lack of maturity or perspective. I was going to put these events into that category but it certainly sounds like he hasn’t changed much.

It’s too bad, really. Like you said, Rainman, there’s probably a good story here but the overall delivery is truly lacking. Those of us who’ve “been there” during the last 21 years and seen the same war zones aren’t as easily dazzled as the general public. I guess I’ve always subscribed to the quiet confidence theory. The more you try to tell everyone how great you are, the more you sound like you’re trying to convince yourself, IMO. Being a fighter pilot isn’t a blank check to act like an arrogant prick (although there are plenty who choose that option). Let your actions and results speak for you. It sounds like 2-dogs has some of both, too bad he chose this method to put them out there.

No dog in the fight, haven't read the book, don't know the guy...but, I do know a little about publishing and marketing: it's possible SOME of the self-serving hype that "we quiet, competent professionals" dislike is not being sought by the author, but pushed/aggravated by the publisher (who wants to sell 69 million copies). Just sayin'

pushed/aggravated by the publisher'

Check....but as JW eloquently stated...there is something to the notion of being a quiet humble ass kicker. Each one of you young steely eyed killers will have to look in their own mirror someday...and I for one am amazed at how grey my annual fall beard has become!

Being a fighter pilot isn’t a blank check to act like an arrogant prick...

Whoa, hang on a second...let's not go too far.

No dog in the fight, haven't read the book, don't know the guy...but, I do know a little about publishing and marketing: it's possible SOME of the self-serving hype that "we quiet, competent professionals" dislike is not being sought by the author, but pushed/aggravated by the publisher (who wants to sell 69 million copies). Just sayin'

Theoretically possible, yes. Not in this case.

Besides, even if the publisher was pushing there is a choice. No one is a victim here.

Man dies following live-cockroach eating contest.

A 32-year-old West Palm Beach man died over the weekend after eating a dozen cockroaches and worms during a roach-eating contest in Deerfield Beach.

The competition was organized by the Ben Siegel Reptiles store, and the winner was to get a python.

Now, Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives are investigating the death.

The victim was identified as Edward Archbold.

Minutes after Friday night’s contest, according to a BSO spokeswoman, Archbold started feeling ill. He started regurgitating and later collapsed shortly after exiting the store.

Broward Sheriff Fire Rescue responded to the scene and transported Archbold to Broward Health North, where he was pronounced dead.

None of the half dozen other contestants appeared to have medical issues after consuming the roaches.

An autopsy of Archbold took place over the weekend and results won’t be available for weeks.

The store put up a video of the contest earlier today on YouTube showing Archbold gagging and choking on the insects.

The video disappeared from the site this afternoon but Gossip Extra found this one of a worm-eating contest Friday at the store:

Check....but as JW eloquently stated...there is something to the notion of being a quiet humble ass kicker.

Back on the new book subject for a sec........ Just wondering if anyone who has read the book could tell me if the author remembered to mention his inadvertant AIM-9 launch that went through the middle of a 4-ship of Torrejon F-16s. The post mission interaction between those involved was "spirited" to say the least. :bash: