WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

1 hour ago, pbar said:

I thought some Army space units were subsumed into the USSF.  Probably one of those folks. 

Nope. USAFA dude. While I find Ranger school weird for him, too, he had a helluva resume even before Ranger school (except for the UPT quit/washout part).

Edited by nunya
  • Like 1

What good does it do for the AF to send a space dude to not one, but two significant Army schools?  And why would the Army accept them in that school?  Makes no sense to me. 

3 hours ago, Smokin said:

What good does it do for the AF to send a space dude to not one, but two significant Army schools?  And why would the Army accept them in that school?  Makes no sense to me. 

Optics. The USSF is trying hard to establish a cultural identity. The press on, "the first" nearly anything in the military is what really excites the ambitious. Influence from high enough in the food chain can get anybody into a training program. 

No spear at the particular individual in this case, well earned and timing was in his favor.

• Like 1

Ranger school is a leadership school and that’s why every Army MOS can attend. It’s why every member of the 75th Ranger Regiment had to attend Ranger school in addition to passing their assessment (RASP or RIP depending on when). I was pretty surprised to learn you can’t be a cook in the 75th without passing both.

They also have spots every class for other service members that often go unfilled. The Air Assault one and Sapper is more interesting to me. I’m sure it was sold as leadership development or some such, but it seems a bit odd. Good on him though! 

• Upvote 1

Ranger school is a leadership school and that’s why every Army MOS can attend. It’s why every member of the 75th Ranger Regiment had to attend Ranger school in addition to passing their assessment (RASP or RIP depending on when). I was pretty surprised to learn you can’t be a cook in the 75th without passing both.

They also have spots every class for other service members that often go unfilled. The Air Assault one and Sapper is more interesting to me. I’m sure it was sold as leadership development or some such, but it seems a bit odd. Good on him though! 

They will assess people into Ranger Bn (enlisted guys out of AIT for example) who haven’t done Ranger School, but have past RASP. It’s a kind of checks in the mail requirement as they only have so much capacity in the pipeline.

They get treated like Ranger privates regardless of rank though until they get their tab, and failure to get it is grounds for putting them back in the regular Army.

Outside people trying to get into a Ranger Battalion it’s usually a highly competitive process to get whatever brigade/division slot(s). We called it the Hunger Games when we were offered the opportunity to send 1x Lt/Cpts to it from the Aviation Brigade.

Whatever this dude did to get his leadership to fight for those school slots, he is more than likely ridiculously hard charging amongst his peers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59 minutes ago, Lawman said:

They will assess people into Ranger Bn (enlisted guys out of AIT for example) who haven’t done Ranger School, but have past RASP. It’s a kind of checks in the mail requirement as they only have so much capacity in the pipeline.

They get treated like Ranger privates regardless of rank though until they get their tab, and failure to get it is grounds for putting them back in the regular Army.

Outside people trying to get into a Ranger Battalion it’s usually a highly competitive process to get whatever brigade/division slot(s). We called it the Hunger Games when we were offered the opportunity to send 1x Lt/Cpts to it from the Aviation Brigade.

Whatever this dude did to get his leadership to fight for those school slots, he is more than likely ridiculously hard charging amongst his peers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that was another surprising thing with how many Rangers (75th guys) had a hell of a time getting through Ranger school. It’s no joke.

Frankly, I'm glad to see it.  The USAF and USSF need to think joint from day one. Attending other service tactical and leadership schools is a great way to ingrain that joint understanding.  Hell, I wish we sent a good slice of USAF JAIs and all AMLOs to Pathfinder, even if they fail out.

I can think of a thousand random courses that the Air Force makes guys go to that are worthless.  If a guy/gal thinks they can get through it, I can't think of a better use of time/money for someone who is motivated and wants to do it.  It's the military after all regarldess of service. 

Spent some time up at Dahlonega working spin up with some teams.  Stayed in the cadre dorms and hung out at the instructor bar there.  Was a great time.  One of the school candidates asked us at chow one morning if we could go find a replacement leatherman for him as he lost it and was going to be in a world of hurt.  Said he'd pay us $50 for our trouble 🙂 Quick trip downtown one night and got him his $13 leatherman.  Hopefully he made it through.  

Edited by uhhello
  • Upvote 1

Just got our Shirt's regular info sharing email, and saw this shit...

image.png.dc06b04ec5a2ae5eb9f3f2d16e72fee6.png

STELLAR TALENT ACQUISITION RECRUITING REFERRAL (STARR) Program

Air Force Recruiting Service (AFRS) is asking for your help in strengthening our force and wants to reward you for your efforts. The STARR program, governed by DAFMAN 36-2806 A2.14.1.6, was created to award medals to Airmen who refer someone to the Air Force who ships to basic training. In fact, if you refer just one person who ships to basic training, you are eligible for an AF Achievement medal. If you refer three who ship, you get two Achievement medals and if you refer five who ship you get an AF Commendation medal (no more than three medals can be awarded to one person). Since its inception in May 2023, 25 AF members have qualified for AF Achievement medals with the first recipient being an A1C that was one week out of technical training school. Imagine putting together a BTZ package, EPB push statement, or even going before a promotion board with a recently acquired Achievement medal. The STARR program is run through the Aim High App and there are just four easy steps to refer someone. 1) Download the app, 2) create an account (using your .mil email), 3) fill out prerequisites, 4) either you as the referrer can put in the person being referred’s information or you can send them a QR code (or link) to fill in that information for themselves (see picture below).

Warning!  Old Guy rant!!

It took me two years as an A1C to earn my first AFAM where I was the Wing Airman of the Quarter for the largest tactical fighter wing in the USAF (81 TFW).  It took another 18 months as a SSgt to get my first AFCOM.

I know neither is an overly prestigious award, but at the time I felt my hard work and efforts were being recognized and I was proud to receive both!

Recruiters already get a ribbon, why not expand the criteria to get one of those to these individuals instead of watering down awards meant for duty performance?

/Rant

11 hours ago, M2 said:

Just got our Shirt's regular info sharing email, and saw this shit...

image.png.dc06b04ec5a2ae5eb9f3f2d16e72fee6.png

STELLAR TALENT ACQUISITION RECRUITING REFERRAL (STARR) Program

Air Force Recruiting Service (AFRS) is asking for your help in strengthening our force and wants to reward you for your efforts. The STARR program, governed by DAFMAN 36-2806 A2.14.1.6, was created to award medals to Airmen who refer someone to the Air Force who ships to basic training. In fact, if you refer just one person who ships to basic training, you are eligible for an AF Achievement medal. If you refer three who ship, you get two Achievement medals and if you refer five who ship you get an AF Commendation medal (no more than three medals can be awarded to one person). Since its inception in May 2023, 25 AF members have qualified for AF Achievement medals with the first recipient being an A1C that was one week out of technical training school. Imagine putting together a BTZ package, EPB push statement, or even going before a promotion board with a recently acquired Achievement medal. The STARR program is run through the Aim High App and there are just four easy steps to refer someone. 1) Download the app, 2) create an account (using your .mil email), 3) fill out prerequisites, 4) either you as the referrer can put in the person being referred’s information or you can send them a QR code (or link) to fill in that information for themselves (see picture below).

Warning!  Old Guy rant!!

It took me two years as an A1C to earn my first AFAM where I was the Wing Airman of the Quarter for the largest tactical fighter wing in the USAF (81 TFW).  It took another 18 months as a SSgt to get my first AFCOM.

I know neither is an overly prestigious award, but at the time I felt my hard work and efforts were being recognized and I was proud to receive both!

Recruiters already get a ribbon, why not expand the criteria to get one of those to these individuals instead of watering down awards meant for duty performance?

/Rant

Army straight pays their folks for them.  This is dumb.  

14 hours ago, brabus said:

Awards/medals are embarrassing compared to the days of old. Even bronze stars and to some extent, DFCs, are handed out for simple baseline-doing-your-job. Everyone gets a trophy for just breathing and doing average shit. Ridiculous. 

Lol, we had an AD patch on loan for a deployment and the dude got himself a Bronze Star for showing up...total joke.  I've read AAR's that warranted DFC's (or higher), but we're never received for whatever reason.  I remember when our base got an AD WG/CC, and the dude REALLY cared about medals.  Apparently, he wasn't happy with the fact that, as a Major, I had two MSM's, but no AFCM.  Guess what I got within a few months...  One of the reasons I had a second MSM's is becuase we had a staff weenie get sent down to be an OG (box checking...now a 1 star), who was passed over on his first O-6 board due in part becuase he lacked an MSM...or so his bro network told him.  Guess what the squadron got a few months later....  

Our medals are a fucking joke, which is why I've never cared for them.  When we expect that you get X medal as a Lt and X medal as Capt, etc.... we're fucked.  Hell, I'm missing an Air Medal that I never bothered to track down because I didn't care to waste my time.  If you have a SS, AFC, MOH...I'll raise an eyebrow.  Even then, I know there are plenty of actions that probably warranted those medals, that were never recognized.   

• Like 1

I like my air and aerial achievement medals.   Those matter to me.  Also, my unit got a V for the beginning of OIF.  Im proud of that.  The others, except for the AFCAM, are not important to me.  1713459945699959939228659169237.thumb.jpg.42b599f19f89a81bc4e92f5e625f7eb0.jpg

54 minutes ago, O Face said:

If it weren’t for the fingernails, I would’ve swore that was your dick, @Biff_T

Unfortunately, those tattoos wouldn't fit.   For some reason, it's always cold down there.  But my wife doesn't know how small 4 inches is on a measuring tape.