WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

Show me a study that actually says the color of your skin is a biological reason for being at higher risk of Covid...
I’ve looked myself and the reason minorities have a higher death rate seems to be due to socio-economic factors, health culture within the community, and medical access. Those are real issues of course, but the thing about socio-economic issues is that they aren’t only limited to people of color. Although I guess people really believe that these days (Joe Biden’s “Poor kids are just as bright as white kids” comes to mind), which is honestly a form of soft racism in and of itself, but that’s a whole other topic itself. Bottom line though, a white person can also be poor, unhealthy, and have limited limited access to health care. 

I’ll reiterate again why this policy is legitimately racist. A poor person of color and a poor white person live next to each other in a poor section of Vermont that has had higher rates of COVID death. Each person has the exact same biological risk factor, is the same age, is the same sex, same access to health care, and both have no at risk people in their house. Under the governor’s policy, the white person cannot get a shot simply because they are white even though the person next to them, who is by all other measures equal to them other than skin color, can. That is discrimination in its most pure and basic form!!!
Its honestly embarrassing that people in this country would give that a pass these days. 

I think you make several good points, especially about how a lot of race issues are intertwined with socioeconomic issues.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/health-equity/race-ethnicity.html

That being said,

Urgent health problems exist for many U.S. subpopulations, but a uniform pattern of disadvantage, stretching from perinatal health to dementia and reduction of life expectancy, is found only among black Americans. Finally, the impact of race on other aspects of social life, such as housing, education, and employment, is more significant among blacks.
[/Quote]
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK25517/
This article argues essentially what you are about diseases at large, and race health issues being tied to social, economic, or location/environment issues rather than generic issues or predispositions. But they acknowledge that this leads to race being used as a proxy for those other, possibly causal issues because it's an easier way to address the problem.

Weirdly enough, it seems like we as a country are more willing to tackle/talk race issues (as uncomfortable as that discussion has been) than address socioeconomic and class issues.

On 4/4/2021 at 10:44 AM, Breckey said:

That's fair. How would you then go about prioritizing those with the socioeconomic risk factors for COVID? Prioritize those on Medicaid or SNAP benefited?

Zip code.  

9 minutes ago, arg said:

MLB is woke now. Not that I watched it anyway. Are there any Dart leagues or maybe Badminton we could support? 

You basically have to stick to niche sports now to avoid getting hit over the head with political messaging. 

My regular sports viewing is basically down to auto racing (Indycar, sports cars, sometimes F1) and golf. 

I stopped watching all sports a few years ago; maybe a game a year. Turns out there’s tons of stuff to do with my time that is infinitely better than sitting on the couch supporting these bullshit organizations. Life without football and baseball is phenomenal...never would have said that a few years ago.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 6

• 4 weeks later...
Road Warrior

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that dude sitting their with his head up his ass is still alive, fire him.

Holy hell dude.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Lawman said:

If that dude sitting their with his head up his ass is still alive, fire him.

Holy hell dude.

I don't know, he kind of reminds me of the extra guy from Ghostbusters, who was just there for the job and didn't really know what he was getting into when he volunteered.

On 5/4/2021 at 10:01 PM, Clark Griswold said:

Road Warrior

Baghdad intl commute to the green zone

19 hours ago, disgruntledemployee said:

One guy had training, experience, and SA, the other didn't.  Besides, it's not like you have a port hole for the men to shoot out of like the Bradley, the 1972 version.

Excellent movie!   Note Richard Riehle--better known for playing Tom Smykowski in the movie Office Space--as one of the "GOBIs" in that scene.  How ironic!

Excellent movie!   Note Richard Riehle--better known for playing Tom Smykowski in the movie Office Space--as one of the "GOBIs" in that scene.  How ironic!

It’s an excellent movie as a dark comedy satire.

It’s a terrible movie if you watch it thinking it has any kind of historical accuracy. Burton was a loon, not a hero.