WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

22 hours ago, lloyd christmas said:

Here’s a good commentary on why it matters.  He brings this Lil Naz X character into the discussion.  

The glorification of crime in poor black communities and the refusal of the media/political class to acknowledge such acts based on a racism narrative has nothing to do with Satan shoes. 

Further, blaming the hedonistic entertainment is misguided. As Walsh points out, it's the lack of a functional family unit, lack of community, lack of education, and lack of role models that causes this. 

If these criminal children are screaming "hail Satan" then maybe I'd give the shoes more attention. But I played a lot of video games where I massacred civilians and listened to "satanic" music, and I never committed a felony as a child.

6 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Because hedonistic entertainment and the lack of a functional family unit have nothing to do with each other?

Yes?  I think the latter causes the former, not the other way around. So, they're related, but not in the manner presented.

And in this case we specifically referring to "gangster" culture, not all forms of hedonism.

42 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Because hedonistic entertainment and the lack of a functional family unit have nothing to do with each other?

I can remember when my mom thought I was going to hell for listening to Marilyn Manson in high school.

Glad we're over the "satanic panic" as a society...🙄

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, pawnman said:

I can remember when my mom thought I was going to hell for listening to Marilyn Manson in high school.

Double checks this statement against poster's location...

Mom was right?

23 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Most of us aren't "triggered", booze.  Just disappointed and disgusted... and a bit saddened too... with much of this sort of thing. 

If you find it powerful and cool and relevant, so be it.  I guess you're "triggered" in a happy way.  

Disappointed/disgusted and triggered are different? I don't think so, but that's just like, my opinion, man.

I guess you could call me "triggered," too...but not in a happy way...more of a "who cares about this?" kinda way. 

In a country of 300 million people there are enough things that happen every day you can craft whatever narrative you want with selective attention. 

If you want to pretend white cops killing black people is a super common problem you can find examples of that. If you want to pretend teenage girl tazer carjackings are a big problem you'll find instances of that too. If you want to make the case for widespread cultural rot, I'm sure at any given moment dozens of rappers are doing ill advised publicity stunts.. including but not limited to devil shoes. 

The point is that none of these things are evidence of any type of national trend, and in a country this big, the only thing that should matter to you on the right or left side of the aisle is large scale data. Unfortunately, humans are stupid, emotional creatures so we get moral panic on both sides based on a wide variety of fringe nonsense. 

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2021 at 12:36 PM, pawnman said:

Holy shit, am I really getting that fucking old?  Marilyn Manson?  Never heard of her...

This was the concert shirt that caused my Mom to think I was heading for hell back in 1979...

Highway to Hell - Wikipedia

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, M2 said:

Holy shit, am I really getting that ing old?  Marilyn Manson?  Never heard of her...

This was the concert shirt that caused my Mom to think I was heading for hell back in 1979...

And I bet the day after that concert you went and carjacked someone because something something loss of morals/cultural decay. 

alternatively.. Matt Walsh just needs something to be outraged about to get views. 

Gov Phil Scott of Vermont says that if you are a person of color of any age you are now eligible to get a COVID vaccine... Based simply on the color of your skin. 

That is racism. We have literally gone back in time and are a segregated society again. But I guess it’s okay because it’s in favor of people with a darker skin complexion. 

We are screwed as a country if we don’t wake up and stop this run away freight train. 

Edited by kaputt
Still can’t type the f word :(
  • Upvote 1

On 4/1/2021 at 11:36 AM, pawnman said:

Your mom had better rock tastes than you give her credit for. Manson sucks!  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kaputt said:

Gov Phil Scott of Vermont says that if you are a person of color of any age you are now eligible to get a COVID vaccine... Based simply on the color of your skin. 

That is racism. We have literally gone back in time and are a segregated society again. But I guess it’s okay because it’s in favor of people with a darker skin complexion. 

We are screwed as a country if we don’t wake up and stop this run away freight train. 

It couldn't possibly be that people of color have a higher incidence of COVID in the state and that this is a way to reduce the numbers much like other populations...

BIPOC Vermonters are overrepresented among COVID-19 cases in Vermont, making up 6% of the population but 18% of positive cases. Nearly 1 in every 5 COVID-19 cases in Vermont are among BIPOC Vermonters. 

As of October 31, there are 2,024 COVID-19 cases among Vermont residents and 344 (18%) cases among BIPOC Vermonters. * The incidence rate of COVID-19 among BIPOC Vermonters (74.2) is significantly higher than white non-Hispanic Vermonters (26.2). †

BIPOC Vermonters with COVID-19 have significantly higher hospitalization and chronic disease rates, relative to white non Hispanic people with COVID-19.

COVID-19 among BIPOC (healthvermont.gov)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Breckey said:

It couldn't possibly be that people of color have a higher incidence of COVID in the state and that this is a way to reduce the numbers much like other populations...

Are old/obese white people or more or less vulnerable to C19 than young otherwise healthy people of color?  I haven’t been following the science closely, appreciate any data you have.

And since discrimination based on ethnicity is on the table now, what other areas of society is this practice acceptable?

• Upvote 2

Are old/obese white people or more or less vulnerable to C19 than young otherwise healthy people of color?  I haven’t been following the science closely, appreciate any data you have.

And since discrimination based on ethnicity is on the table now, what other areas of society is this practice acceptable?

What’s the Kendi quote, “the only solution for past discrimination is present discrimination, and the only solution for present discrimination is future discrimination”?

So all aspects, I think.
  • Thanks 1

As far as I know most states already prioritized the elderly and many added the obese or otherwise health impaired are already eligible or further up on vaccine schedule than healthy individuals. A quick search indicates that Vermont has done this as well.

5 hours ago, M2 said:

Holy shit, am I really getting that fucking old?  Marilyn Manson?  Never heard of her...

I recall hearing there is a highway to hell. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Breckey said:

I understand that data.

But under the current Governor’s mandate, a white person and a person of color that have not met previous eligibility criteria and have the exact same risk level, with the only difference being the pigment of their skin; the white person gets to pound sand and wait just because they don’t have the right color skin. That’s discrimination. 

There is of course a legitimate way to handle this that doesn’t segregate shot eligibility based on skin color, and it goes like this, “As the governor of Vermont I am opening vaccine eligibility to all Vermont residents age 16 and up. In addition, I have authorized our vaccine task force to put special emphasis on getting additional vaccine supply to our underserved communities that have been hit harder by this virus. We need as many Vermonters as possible to get this shot as soon as possible and opening up the eligibility to all will accomplish this.”

Of course there are almost no real leaders anymore in the political class, so we get race based decision to score political points. 

Can you imagine if you replaced POC with “white person” in the governors statement? It would sound like something right out of Deep South segregation. 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

On 4/2/2021 at 7:36 PM, kaputt said:

a white person and a person of color that have not met previous eligibility criteria and have the exact same risk level, with the only difference being the pigment of their skin;

It’s even worse than that. A 16 yr old healthy, black person who has almost no risk of dying from COVID gets a shot while a 39 yr old white person who has a high-risk child or parent at home does not. This has nothing to do with risk and everything to do with political pandering. Congrats Gov Scott, now you’re not just an idiot, you’re a racist too. 

• Upvote 2

Not saying it’s not a fast moving ballgame; in 12 days 30+ can get it, and in 15 days 16+ can get it. That doesn’t change the fact this is blatant racism. Is it acceptable and not racist if I use the N word in public, as long as I clarify I’m only doing it for the next two weeks?  

I think the difference is that studies have shown that people of color have worse health outcomes due to COVID than whites.

As of 7 March, blacks have COVID death rate of 178 per 100k, compared to 124 for whites. Indigenous, hispanic, and pacific islander all have higher rates than whites as well.

While this policy is raced-based, I don't see it as being racist. They have also prioritized groups that are at higher risk like the elderly, immuno-compromised, and health care workers. Is everybody who is black going to be worse off? No, but you make public health policy off of the masses, not the individuals.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Breckey said:

I think the difference is that studies have shown that people of color have worse health outcomes due to COVID than whites.

As of 7 March, blacks have COVID death rate of 178 per 100k, compared to 124 for whites. Indigenous, hispanic, and pacific islander all have higher rates than whites as well.

While this policy is raced-based, I don't see it as being racist. They have also prioritized groups that are at higher risk like the elderly, immuno-compromised, and health care workers. Is everybody who is black going to be worse off? No, but you make public health policy off of the masses, not the individuals.

Show me a study that actually says the color of your skin is a biological reason for being at higher risk of Covid...

I’ve looked myself and the reason minorities have a higher death rate seems to be due to socio-economic factors, health culture within the community, and medical access. Those are real issues of course, but the thing about socio-economic issues is that they aren’t only limited to people of color. Although I guess people really believe that these days (Joe Biden’s “Poor kids are just as bright as white kids” comes to mind), which is honestly a form of soft racism in and of itself, but that’s a whole other topic itself. Bottom line though, a white person can also be poor, unhealthy, and have limited limited access to health care. 

I’ll reiterate again why this policy is legitimately racist. A poor person of color and a poor white person live next to each other in a poor section of Vermont that has had higher rates of COVID death. Each person has the exact same biological risk factor, is the same age, is the same sex, same access to health care, and both have no at risk people in their house. Under the governor’s policy, the white person cannot get a shot simply because they are white even though the person next to them, who is by all other measures equal to them other than skin color, can. That is discrimination in its most pure and basic form!!!

Its honestly embarrassing that people in this country would give that a pass these days. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4