WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

Folks falling off of aircraft and when aloft doing maintenance happen all the time. Ships are unforgiving, for sure at sea.  Even with the programs and precautions as stated above (nope, didn’t read it all the way through) stuff still happens. XO of my active duty test squadron about 6 years ago fell onto his driveway putting up his Christmas lights. Killed dead right there. Falling sucks. 

Navy message traffic is tough to read for the unfamiliar.  Welcome to my world. 

ATIS

From the old folks home (airline flying), the F16 types complain about neck problems, the F15 types about lower back problems.

Former bad arse studs of all backgrounds seem to nail themselves through various self inflicted actions.

What I've learned? Never go up a ladder past 6' or operate a chainsaw with a ATP certificate past age 40.  Seems to be the greatest adversary. Thankfully the Guard/Reserve single seat accident numbers have dropped over the years. 10K number pilot group. It seemed the notices happened frequently years ago.

Humor stories? Two airline pilots, a satellite dish installation, a metal ladder on a roof with some electrical feeder lines. I forgot the story, pretty much what you can imagine.

Favorite (Of course might be Urban Legend) was one a pilot who was also "Mr. Safety". Well, almost. Said guy covered almost all bases for pressure cleaning his roof. A plan with a safety harness and safety ropes. One problem, it was FL without anything to anchor safety line on ground. Mmmmmmmmm, the bumper on the 6,000lb SUV in the driveway should work as he started cleaning past the roof peak opposite the driveway.

You guessed it, the wife decided to drive the SUV to the Mall. Supposedly she figure it out and he only was dragged off the roof, down to the hedges and a short distance on the driveway. Goofball story for sure.

TLDR. Can anyone tell me if this update identifies ship collisions as a leading cause of falls? Fall prevention can be aided through rigorous clearing of your flight path (float path?)

On 3/3/2018 at 4:19 PM, HuggyU2 said:

WTF, indeed... 

While this message came from the Navy, I wouldn't put it past the AF to do it.  

BTW, now that it is 2018, and teletypes are no longer in fashion, can we develop a more readable message format... and avoid typing in all CAPS? 

WTF???

I hope someone sends a return message to COMNAVSAFECENSLIPSLOPFLIPFLOPNICKNACKPADDYWHACKGIVEADOGABONE asking them to clarify....

Sorry,  but my sleep apnea kicked in before I could finish reading all that; but props for the Hot Shots! Part Deux reference!  :mosh:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe he just didn't like the in-flight magazine....

On a side note, the dudes does resemble Bryan Cranston from Breaking Bad quite a bit!

walter-white-breaking-bad.jpg

On 5/14/2018 at 1:08 PM, waveshaper said:

Sadly, this possible election outcome isn't going to be much of a surprise to folks here.

Cleric Sadr, in surprise comeback, set to win Iraq election;

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-iraq-election/cleric-sadr-in-surprise-comeback-set-to-win-iraq-election-idUKKCN1IE096?rpc=401

These are our allies...