WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

Some uninformed state rep here pushed for and passed for Air Medal license plates. The great thing about them and why I got one is that they were free and permanent, never have to be renewed. The entire OG went and got them. They went back and amended the law and now you have to pay for them. Here's to being grandfathered in

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Tennessee did that too.

Wasn't restricted to air medals either you'd see guys with Bronze Star, MSM, etc.

Lot of teasing until people realized just by the grace of being stationed at Ft Campbell you could get a free plate forever.
  • Upvote 1

air medal = free license plate? count me not interested.
im getting turned off by the veteran = instant "hero" culture

To pay more money to big brother for the sake of obstinance is interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, sqwatch said:

To pay more money to big brother for the sake of obstinance is interesting

That's not how I see it. But it's just my opinion not saying y'all are wrong. 

I don't like publicizing my military service for a pat on the back or financial gain. 

Edited by BashiChuni

On 6/30/2017 at 2:12 PM, ihtfp06 said:

Well, which is worse... the OEF/OIF era O-6 pilot who somehow managed to avoid flying 20 combat sorties?

WTF, are there really no Robin Olds types left?  The big brass balls lead from the front types are really gone?  Big Blue has really done itself good with that program.  Heaven help us if we get in a no-shit near-peer shooting match.   

WTF, are there really no Robin Olds types left?  The big brass balls lead from the front types are really gone?  Big Blue has really done itself good with that program.  Heaven help us if we get in a no-shit near-peer shooting match.   

Very rare in the MAF. Most O-6 and above are senior officer qualified. Means they did a two week sim course, are airland only, and are required to fly with an IP.

Hell, a significant number of squadron commanders I've had, while being "IPs" on paper, rarely fly without a seeing eye. I've had one, maybe two, that I'd no-shit want to fly with when the chips are down.
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Champ Kind said:

Very rare in the MAF. Most O-6 and above are senior officer qualified. Means they did a two week sim course, are airland only, and are required to fly with an IP.

Hell, a significant number of squadron commanders I've had, while being "IPs" on paper, rarely fly without a seeing eye. I've had one, maybe two, that I'd no-shit want to fly with when the chips are down.

Spreading to part of the CAF - AFGSC copied the AMC crossflow program for bombers. Some of the guys coming over as Capts do OK, but dropping B-52 O-6 leadership without combat experience into B-1 command positions is another matter.

3 minutes ago, magnetfreezer said:

Spreading to part of the CAF - AFGSC copied the AMC crossflow program for bombers. Some of the guys coming over as Capts do OK, but dropping B-52 O-6 leadership without combat experience into B-1 command positions is another matter.

What problems have you seen?

Seriously asking. Not trying to start the standard bomber on bomber hate fest, has there a problem with B-1 units run by B-52 guys?  As you know, B-52 wings also swapped leadership, and I for one am extremely happy with the "progress" we are making in crossflow in our communities. 

As the bone and buff pogo between AORs, having mid and upper level leadership with experience in both locations can, in my mind, help us all advance. Bones in the Pacific, WG/CCs that have been SQ/CCs there (plus a shit hot SQ/CC leading the charge who developed the current CBP). 

BUFFs in CENTCOM, great B-1 WG/CCs that were SQ/CCs through that. 

To me, the biggest down fall is that the CGO level exchange should have been going on for far longer in order to share/populate good ideas from both communities and highlight/question bad ones with the outside perspective this crossflow provides. 

Thoughts?

Also I'm not personally aware of any B-52 O-6s without combat experience... That would be the exception to the norm for the demographic. Young O-5s that came into the community after 2006, sure. But the few times I've gotten to have indigenous BUFF O-6 leadership (as opposed to the parade of B-2 pilots) it's been dudes that flew Kosovo and OEF and OIF.

With how many non-combat deployments (TSP, etc) there have been in the last 15 years, I'm actually surprised there aren't more senior guys with no combat experience.  Maybe other types of air frames are different, but for fighters you are at the mercy of your squadron's tasking.  With the possible exception of one or two random attached guys who may be given the option, you're either going or not going and it makes no difference if you want to go or not.  I personally have known multiple fighter guys who as majors and lt cols had 1000+ hrs and zero combat time just due to timing and bad luck.  I also have known capts with more combat time than non-combat time and they were well over the 1000 hr mark.  Timing is everything and there is no justice.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

I'd say he was justified.  Fuck AT&T.  

Seriously, they probably weren't even fixing anything. He probably saw them face down in their phones (verizon phones of course) and lost it.

• Like 1

WHAT'S THAT NOISE AND WHY IS IT THE FUEL BURN OUT OF WHACK???

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/air-india-forgotten-landing-gear-low-fuel/

Plane nearly ran out of fuel after pilots forgot to bring up landing gear

Hugh Morris 28 July 2017 • 12:31pm
3-4 minutes

Two pilots have been suspended from duty after their aircraft, carrying 99 passengers, nearly ran out of fuel because they forgot to retract the landing gear after take-off.

Air India Flight AI676 was en route to Mumbai from Kolkata on July 22 but was forced to divert to Nagpur when the crew became alarmed by the speed at which the aircraft was losing fuel thanks to the additional drag created by the extended wheels.

An unidentified source told the Times of India that the “brand new Airbus A320”, one of the most fuel efficient aircraft in existence, had struggled to climb after take-off, prompting the pilots to settle on an altitude of 24,000 feet as opposed to a usual cruising height of 35,000 feet. The source, who made a point of saying that both pilots were women, said it flew like this at 230 knots - as opposed to around 500 knots - for about an hour-and-a-half, while the extended landing gear dragged heavily on the aircraft.

At this point, 90 minutes into a two-and-a-half-hour flight, the crew requested permission to divert to Nagpur as their fuel would have run out before reaching Mumbai.

“When preparing to land, they decided to lower the landing gear. At this point they realised that the wheels had been out all the while from Kolkata,” said the source.

A playback of the flight from FlightRadar24.com shows it failing to reach an altitude higher than 24,000 feet but put the aircraft’s speed at just over 300 knots.

A spokesperson for Air India told the Times of India the pilots have been “de-rostered” and the airline is investigating.

The problem is more often experienced in reverse when pilots have difficulty lowering the landing gear during an approach. Such landings are called “belly landings” as aircraft attempt to negotiate a touchdown without wheels. This has been known to occur because crew simply forget to lower the gear. One such incident happened to a light aircraft in 2015 when a pilot, distracted by a moose on the runway in Alaska, forgot to lower the landing gear, meaning his twin-engine Piper PA 31-350 landed on its belly, skidding across the tarmac.

The report from the National Transportation Safety Board read: “While on final approach, an airplane that landed in front of him reported a moose in the vicinity of the runway. An airport maintenance person announced on the common traffic advisory frequency that he was attempting to chase the moose off of the runway. The pilot became distracted trying to avoid wake turbulence from the preceding airplane and monitor the location of the vehicle and moose and failed to extend the landing gear prior to landing.”

A remarkable video from 2011 shows a LOT Polish Airlines Boeing 767 landing at Warsaw Chopin Airport without its landing gear, grinding to a halt on the runway on only its fuselage. There were no injuries.

5 hours ago, M2 said:

I thought kids flying fighters was the premise behind Iron Eagle?

Oh, and did I spot a 'Defensive Egg?!?'

I don't get it.  I'll ask my fighter pilot buds to explain it.  

I guess it's like U-2 pilots talking about data links, tube food, and shitting in the space suit:  it only entertains our group.  

• Like 1