WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

On 1/8/2017 at 0:42 PM, TreeA10 said:

I was in 85-01 at Columbus and ended up as a T-38 FAIP.  I heard those same rumors but I'm pretty sure it was fiction, just like the grease mark on the canopy.  The highway in the rumor was I-55 which I'm pretty sure had been built long before.  The craziest things that happened that got command folks worked up was a 5 ship low level since we didn't do any formation low level and a fly-by at Mississippi State Univ that went THROUGH the stadium.  The former event got lots of folks in trouble, the latter was blamed on bad weather, dim lighting conditions, combined with a mea culpa so no careers canned.

I was at the game for that fly-by, epic.  The AFROTC Det had a nice picture of the 4 ship barely clearing the water tower.

On 1/9/2017 at 5:07 PM, Vito said:

Thx TreeA10,

what flights were you an IP in?  I was 87-04 Orion, Dowdle was the Flight Commander

IP in Hawk, taught Academics for a time, Squadron Exec for the Student Squadron, and then T-38 Class Commander for 88-01.  I worked for Terry for a short period of time before he went to the Flt/CC gig.

A couple days after the flyby, a picture was published on the front page of the local paper.  It had a band dude in the foreground and a very tight looking 4 ship in 15-20 degrees of a left hand bank that didn't look that high over the band dude.  Details such as panels and markings were clearly visible.  I watched the 4 ship come up initial after the flyby and thought the weather looked a tad marginal for the overhead but figured the picture was a function of photographic trickery with F-stop or editing. 

The "story" was they knew the weather (both ceiling and vis) was marginal but doable.  Setting up on a south to north run-in, they departed the hold on time.  After they started, the lead pilot (all were IPs with the Sq/CC in the pit of the lead jet) spotted a brightly lit area he thought was the stadium to the left of their track and made a correction.  As they neared the lit area, he either saw tennis courts or picked up the stadium well right of course, don't remember which but he was suckered off course by the tennis courts.  He initiates a very large correction to the right and is making a correction to the left when they went through the stadium.  It was during this course correction with the less than distinct horizon that he descended.  Yes, they almost hit the water tower on the north end of the stadium.

So, shortly thereafter, some guy writes a fan letter to some higher HQ for "the best flyby ever" and all these HQ dudes show up to investigate.  Everyone had "the cool flyby picture" under the glass on their desks and those were promptly removed.  All involved pleaded quilty with remorse and nobody suffered careerwise.

Glad this Yale professor thinks this is 1930s Germany, and that everyone is a moron.

https://qz.com/846940/a-yale-history-professors-20-point-guide-to-defending-democracy-under-a-trump-presidency/

Americans are no wiser than the Europeans who saw democracy yield to fascism, Nazism, or communism.

On 1/12/2017 at 5:01 AM, brickhistory said:

Soooo, Germans (assuming here based on the accents) like big schwanzes.  Or maybe they were Russkis.

Good to know.

Watch out Poland!

Rooskies!

little-big1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This post is suitable for work.. but WTF????  Can CNN do a shittier job of reporting on a non-event?  And getting a faceless, non-pilot to discuss his harrowing adventure?  The transcript, the "alarm from the collision warning system",... holy shit, folks.  Even the National Enquirer is more credible.  No wonder CNN doesn't leave a "comments section" on their site.  

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/...ane/vi-AA8OwRK

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

the "alarm from the collision warning system",... holy shit, folks.

Damn, I hear that alarm all the time.  I didn't know what it was, but now I do.  

IMG_0574.GIF

I'll make sure I educate my CA next time, too!  I'm sure I'll get FO of the Quarter for that.

Edited by nunya

"While many of the objectives of the recent raid in Yemen were met, I would not describe any operation that results in the loss of American life as a success," Mr McCain (R., AZ) said in a statement on Wednesday.

While the loss of life is certainly nothing to make light of: you, sir, need to pack it up and go home. This is the military, not flag football.
  • Upvote 5

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, daynightindicator said:

Think again: Will circular runways ever take off?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-39284294

Weird concept, not sure how I feel about it

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

At first you say "no", but then you look at it from the scientific side and it does make some level of sense.

However, that banked circle produces its own series of problems with landing... and if a crosswind makes it over into the "bowl" while a plane is perfectly at 90 deg, (relative to the wind) with one wing in the air exposed? Flip city, potentially.

Edited by Kiloalpha