WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

The only people decrying it as not a real sport are generally 40+ year-olds.  

Not a real sport and I'm the larger half of a decade short of 40 and grew up during the massive expansion of video games as a kid.  Sports are not the same as a hobby, pass time, recreational game, or even competition.  As our society's obesity problem grows, so does the number of things we consider to be a sport.  Pretty soon fantasy football is going to be an Olympic event if we continue like we are now.  First google return on sports definition:  "an activity involving physical exertion and skill".  Yes, plenty of skill involved, but pushing buttons doesn't count as physical exertion.

• Upvote 1

Whew...  good thing definitions of words never change!

Also, see my edit for what I think about it being called sports.  I'm generally not of the opinion it should rise to that level, but there's a large amount of mental exertion taking place in these tournaments.  So, it's not a hobby, past time, or recreational game.  These guys (and gals) are making very good money doing it.

Maybe we'll just call it esports and define it as: "an activity involving mental exertion and skill."

Just to be clear - I'm talking about the pro's playing in the leagues/tourney's.  Not the average dude playing for hours for fun, or the people online streaming for subscriptions/donations from viewers.

It's a video "game". Not video "sport". It is not and never should be considered a sport. I agree with Smokin - a sport involves physical exertion. And yes, I'm over 40, so I automatically know what I'm talking about. Respect your elders, pup.

My theory about when something is considered a sport, vice a game, is you have to be an athlete, ie. athletic to play a sport.  You don't have to be athletic to play a game, like checkers or golf.  Old ladies play golf, fat bastards can  play checkers golf,etc. I won't even broach the subject of video games.

My theory about when something is considered a sport, vice a game, is you have to be an athlete, ie. athletic to play a sport.  You don't have to be athletic to play a game, like checkers or golf.  Old ladies play golf, fat bastards can  play checkers golf,etc. I won't even broach the subject of video games.

What is curling?

It should be easy enough for Amazon to keep it 400'A or lower and void known hazard areas.  This doesn't scare me as much as Joe Schmoe playing with his new Christmas toy.

Just make sure it's >83' AGL over my house!!!  For any fellow NPR planet money nerds, there is a whole podcast dedicated to this subject.  

Edited by SocialD
  • Upvote 1

The heated battle over cultural insensitivity at Yale University has a new victim: Science.

A faculty member, Erika Christakis, criticized the suggestion, writing that “American universities were once a safe space not only for maturation but also for a certain regressive, or even transgressive, experience; increasingly, it seems, they have become places of censure and prohibition.”

Students erupted in protest and called for her resignation as a supervisor (“Assistant Master”) of one of the colleges. The protests have become so bad that Christakis has decided not to teach at Yale “going forward.” When fellow faculty members rushed to her aid in an open letter of support, offended students evidently worried that most of her support came from STEM professors.

“The fact that the large majority of the faculty that signed this letter in support of the Christakises are in STEM just shows how far-removed from reality these people are,” one student wrote. “Maybe we should require faculty to take an ethnic studies class too?”

“I have a suspicion that, unless they are involved with residential college life, STEM faculty members are just as far out of the bubble as people who are not at Yale at all,” said another student. “When professors were present, I didn’t even feel comfortable reaching out to my friends about how they were being impacted by the Christakis email except very briefly before a class with a STEM professor who is a woman of color.”

It seems the only ones "far-removed from reality" and "out of the bubble" are Yale students.  There's this thing called the real world.

Florida burglary suspect hides near lake, gets eaten by alligator

During the recovery of his body, which was spotted just north of Ocean Avenue Way, dive teams encountered an 11-foot alligator around the body.

Florida Fish and Wildlife caught the animal and had it euthanized.

Reports said the “forensic examination of the alligator located remains consistent with the injuries to Riggins inside the alligator’s stomach.”

That's a shame; it was doing a public service.

• Upvote 2

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1449638562.4922ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1449638553.1525ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1449638570.5312One of the first female Army Ranger School grads demonstrating the leadership gained from the prestigious school....

WTF

Also I knew one of the pilots in both Apache crashes over this week that led to the safety stand down. So the word I want to use here rhymes with a practice of batting sometimes seen in baseball.

Edited by Lawman
Added images
  • Upvote 2