WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

"I don't have your cellphone!"

"In the past two years the 59-year-old retiree has been pestered by people showing up at all hours of the day and night at his house, demanding their phones. They've yelled, shown him evidence, called the police - sworn that their phone is in his house.

But he's no thief."

http://www.lvrj.com/news/if-you-lose-your-cellphone-don-t-blame-wayne-dobson-186670171.html

Sprint needs to get their act together.

Meanwhile Air Force officials have been at a loss to explain the pilot’s bizarre behavior. However, one drone crew member, who wished to remain anonymous, said there were some early warning signs, “We should have suspected a problem when he [VanWatermulen] showed up for the mission in a lambskin leather bomber jacket and helmet.”

Fantastic article! This made my day!

• Upvote 1

Lego accused of racism with Star Wars set

Lego has been accused of racism by the Turkish community over a Star Wars model that supposedly resembles one of Istanbul’s most revered mosques.

LegoToy_2459827b.jpg

The anger was provoked by "Jabba's Palace", a model from Lego's Star Wars product range based on the series of Star Wars films

Austria's Turkish community said the model was based on Hagia Sophia mosque in Istanbul and that the accompanying figures depicted Asians and Orientals as people with “deceitful and criminal personalities.”

The Turkish Cultural Community of Austria released a statement calling for Lego to apologise for affronting religious and cultural feelings.

The anger was provoked by “Jabba’s Palace”, a model of the home of Jabba the Hutt from Lego’s Star Wars product range based on the blockbusting series of science fiction films.

Jabba is the large slug-like creature who holds Han Solo captive in the film Return of the Jedi, and his palace is the setting for several crucial scenes, including using Princess Leia as his slave.

Jabba’s domed home and accompanying watchtower bear, according to the statement, an unwanted resemblance to Istanbul’s great Hagia Sophia, and another mosque in Beirut.

mosque_2459826c.jpg

Istanbul's great Hagia Sophia Mosque

A picture posted on the Cultural Community’s website includes the box for Jabba’s Palace with arrows pointing out similarities to a picture of the Hagia Sofia mosque.

A converted Christian basilica and famed for its massive domed roof, the Hagia Sofia is one of the most famous mosques in the world and served Istanbul’s Muslim community for over 500 years before becoming a museum in 1943. It is also regarded as one of the finest, and largest examples, of Byzantine architecture.

The Jabba case came to light after an Austrian Turk complained to the organisation after his sister had bought his son the box set.

Austria’s Turkish community also took issue with the figures that went with the palace, including Jabba.

“The terrorist Jabba the Hutt likes to smoke a hookah and have his victims killed,” said the statement posted on the organisation’s website.

“It is clear that the ugly figure of Jabba and the whole scene smacks of racial prejudice and vulgar insinuations against Asians and Orientals as people with deceitful and criminal personalities.”

The crimes associated with the figures, the statements adds, include terrorism, slavery, murder and human sacrifice.

Taking into account that many of the Lego figures carry weapons, the Turkish organisation also urged parents “not to buy toys of war or toys of discrimination” as the model goes against the “peaceful coexistence of different cultures in Europe”.

As an indication of the anger felt over Jabba’s Palace, the organisation said it was considering taking legal action against Lego for inciting racial hatred and insulting human dignity.

Katharina Sasse, a public relations manager working on behalf of Lego, denied any link between Jabba’s Palace and the mosque.

“The Lego Star Wars product Jabba´s Palace does not reflect any actually existing buildings, people, or the mentioned mosque,” she said. “The Lego mini-figures are all modelled on characters from the movie.

“We regret that the product has caused the members of the Turkish cultural community to come to a wrong interpretation, but point out that when designing the product only the fictional content of the Star Wars saga were referred to.”

As someone most astutely noted, they don't have a Lego to stand on! :notworthy:

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

Granted private property is a good thing, but they didn't HAVE to use that electric company. If they wanted to figure out some other way to get electricity they wouldn't have to do the conversion. But if they are going to choose to have the benefit of that electric company I think they don't really have a leg to stand on with this.

I'm surprised the company didn't just turn it off as ^^ suggested

Its a city thing not the company.

Oops! I guess I didn't read it carefully enough...that DOES change things I think. I agree much more with you now, I don't really think the city can (or should) mandate something like that. That should probably be left up to the company to decide if it wants to mandate a change of that scale l

Wouldn't be surprised if the city/utility has easement or access rights to its installed equipment on your property. Had a faulty buried electric line for the neighborhood running thru the edge of my fenced property once: came home to 30' of destroyed privacy fence and huge piles of dirt in the yard. Lots of discussion w/company followed...by the time we were done i was still unhappy but got a partial victory: they didn't fix it like new, but smoothed the dirt (no re-sodding) and delivered wood to rebuild the fence (which I did).

Seems like it depends on who owns the meters, is it the city or the company or the homeowner? Unless it's the third option (which the story implies that the county owns the equipment), tough luck even if it's attached to your house.

The city/state owns this particular utility company and the entire infrastructure including the meters. There are many state laws forbidding a utility company turning off a customer's electricity or gas in the winter or else I think they would have done so.

Via Fort Bragg, NC, on Facebook: "At noon today, individual pole testing will occur on Fort Bragg. Do not be alarmed, it is just a test."

It's the Army, who knows, could be anything. I think only the Army would have something called a "pole test"...

Via Fort Bragg, NC, on Facebook: "At noon today, individual pole testing will occur on Fort Bragg. Do not be alarmed, it is just a test."

It's the Army, who knows, could be anything. I think only the Army would have something called a "pole test"...

Same in the AF as well. Giant voice testing on individual poles.

At least they have the gall to stand up for what they believe in.

Also, they operate knowing that they will go to jail if they are caught. They go up against some pretty big fish and are still around. It's scary to think what they are capable of. Or maybe it's all for show. Who knows.

Edited by Vno

At least they have the gall to stand up for what they believe in.

Hell, suicide bombers have the gall to stand up for what they believe in...doesn't quite make them heroes in my book because their methods are unacceptable, let alone that in their case, I also think what they believe in is wrong.

• Upvote 1

Hell, suicide bombers have the gall to stand up for what they believe in...doesn't quite make them heroes in my book because their methods are unacceptable, let alone that in their case, I also think what they believe in is wrong.

You do know many of those vests are remote triggered...right?