WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

http://www.af.mil/ne...sp?id=123317364

So $18.3 million price tag for install....projected savings were $550K/yr...array has 30 yr life span:

18,300,000 / 550,000 = 33 yr break even point.

So instead of paying $16.5M over 30 years (550,000/yr) we (government) decided to pay (spend out tax money) $18.3M right meow (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act) for a project that was destined to fail unless better than expected results were obtained?

WOW!

Cheers,

Cap-10

Or you could use several hundred thousand dollars a year with no return on investment

30 years * $500K = $15M in losses

so which is really worse? spending $600K over 30 years or $15M?

I don't like a lot of these "green" projects, but this makes economic sense

Wow that is very cool (hardy har har). I'll have to look these guys up when I'm not at work. I'm a heat transfer engineer so this is sorta interesting to me.

For reference, 400 megawatts of heat transfer is quite a bit! One of my recent projects was a radiator for a 600hp fire truck, and this is about 1500 times more heat than that radiator dissipated.

Is the goal to cool the air before it enters the compressor to increase the density of the air itself for the fuel/air mixture? From the picture, it looked like there was an intake fan, then the air got cooled by the heat exchanger, then it went into the engine.

Or you could use several hundred thousand dollars a year with no return on investment

Or... You could spend $550k for the next 5 years and buy the next generation of solar panels that would actually make economic sense.

Except that $15 million in losses over 30 years is a smaller loss than the $18.3 invested right now. Money in the future is generally worth less than money spent right now.

While I was waiting to complete a PDHA at our local med group (a story in itself), I passed the time reading an old AFRC magazine (no other mags around) and to my disbelief, I found this article. Here is an excerpt below:

"Leadership examined the needs of the wing, called Air Force Personnel Center to ask a few questions and then established a benchmark that allowed a select group of 911th ARS captains to serve as executive officers at the wing and group levels...Because of the limited leadership positions within the 911th, it is more difficult for them to compete well with their active-duty peers at the 6th Air Mobility Wing. This opportunity is impressive. You should want to come here. "

Basically, a "select" group of KC-135 pilots can work with the reserves at Seymour Johnson and fill executive officer jobs to further their careers. The kicker is AFRC is touting this as a good deal. As an exec, and one that can't wait to get out of the job, I see this as a means of catering to the careerists while alleviating the need to fill positions within the 916th. Am I off kilter here or am I just jaded? What do y'all think?

AD Captains may be less than enthusiastic about going to an associate unit due to a lack of career progressing jobs being available at said locations. Want to get passed over for Major? Don't show "progression". Many of us believe the AF's version of progression is bullshit, however most will still check their boxes so they can make rank.

Well this takes binge drinking to a new level...what will kids think of next??

Knoxville, Tennessee (CNN) -- Twelve students at the University of Tennessee have been cited for underage drinking, one for disorderly conduct, and a chapter of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity suspended after a weekend incident involving alcohol enemas in which one student was hospitalized, a university spokeswoman said.

"Upon extensive questioning, it is believed that members of the fraternity were using rubber tubing inserted into their rectums as a conduit for alcohol as the abundance of capillaries and blood vessels present greatly heightens the level and speed of the alcohol entering the bloodstream as it bypasses the filtering by the liver," Knoxville Police Dept spokesman Darrell DeBusk said Monday in a statement.

The student, who was taken to the UT Medical Center in critical condition with a blood alcohol level of 0.40 -- five times the legal cutoff for driving -- has been released, the hospital said.

"Thank you sir, may I have another?"