WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

So,

This happened -

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=20413148

"Strategic Command No. 2 Suspension Linked to Probe of Counterfeit Poker Chips"

You can add two more Generals to the fired list; That's like 7 stars in four days. http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/two-marine-generals-fired-for-security-lapses-in-afghanistan/2013/09/30/b2ccb8a6-29fe-11e3-b139-029811dbb57f_story.html?hpid=z4

"...many Marines with idle time could have been assigned to guard duty. Instead, some of them took online college classes and others worked out in the gym twice a day."

Priorities

Edited by Bobby

"...many Marines with idle time could have been assigned to guard duty. Instead, some of them took online college classes and others worked out in the gym twice a day."

Priorities

Question; Does the USMC have a dedicated full time force that's primary mission is to provide airfield security and resource protection, similar to the USAF Security Forces?

Priorities

Dangerous precedent - Firing Generals for having guys working on AAD and PT over their primary duty. Do we fire the entire AF?
  • Upvote 1

Question; Does the USMC have a dedicated full time force that's primary mission is to provide airfield security and resource protection, similar to the USAF Security Forces?

In short, No. Typically falls on other composite units internal to the wing (typically LAAD) who compose the base defense force or another ground unit on the base itself. In this case, the Brits were responsible and had assigned another country to defend the base.

Edited by Hotdogs

"Airfield Security" might be a bit of a stretch...

The night of that attack, the 25th CAB commander put the pathfinders out on the line to guard the perimeter at Mustang Ramp.... First time and only time during that deployment where I actually felt safe sitting in an aircraft running it up. Before that there was a chain link fence guarding half of the helicopters in southern Afghanistan.

Security is a joke at most of our airfields. Look at the whole area of KAF surrounding housing on the south west side, nothing but container yards and roads that lead to nowhere. It's almost like we are hoping any enemy incursion wastes it's time and ammo trying to get somewhere it can do damage rather Han actually have an effective QRF.

"Airfield Security" might be a bit of a stretch...

The night of that attack, the 25th CAB commander put the pathfinders out on the line to guard the perimeter at Mustang Ramp.... First time and only time during that deployment where I actually felt safe sitting in an aircraft running it up. Before that there was a chain link fence guarding half of the helicopters in southern Afghanistan.

Security is a joke at most of our airfields. Look at the whole area of KAF surrounding housing on the south west side, nothing but container yards and roads that lead to nowhere. It's almost like we are hoping any enemy incursion wastes it's time and ammo trying to get somewhere it can do damage rather Han actually have an effective QRF.

I believe the RAF was partially responsible for perimeter security at this location. It is also being reported that Major General Gurganus reduced the number of Marines patrolling the perimeter from 325 to 100 one month before the attack. This reduction of security personnel sounds somewhat like the situation leading up to the Benghazi attack.

I had to brief that dude last year! He was a pompous douche. Justice.

Navy Admiral a pompous douche.. lies.

One of my Bosses, 29 year Navy O, had the ADM as a CC a decade or so ago and doesn't buy any of this and thinks it's a conspiracy by.. someone, Obama?, to get rid of military leadership that doesn't agree with him.

It is also being reported that Major General Gurganus reduced the number of Marines patrolling the perimeter from 325 to 100 one month before the attack.

Did he do it, or was it done by Kabul/Leadership? Article is not clear, do you have another source?

Did he do it, or was it done by Kabul/Leadership? Article is not clear, do you have another source?

As I understand it (from a Wasington Post article I read through a FB link), he didn't have a choice - the personnel drawdown limited the number of bodies he had available to cover the not-drawn-down committment level elsewhere in his RC (RC-E, I think...).

NOTE: I am not defending MajGen Gurganus. A lot of Marines (especially ones who wear shiny rank) feel that he is ultimately responsible for the Bastion incident, and were not-very-privately calling for his head. Of course, a lot of those same Marines are not exactly enamored with the guy doing the firing...

I believe the RAF was partially responsible for perimeter security at this location. It is also being reported that Major General Gurganus reduced the number of Marines patrolling the perimeter from 325 to 100 one month before the attack. This reduction of security personnel sounds somewhat like the situation leading up to the Benghazi attack.

Oh I don't doubt it but there's sure as hell lots of blame to go around for the Taliban cashing in on our stupidity.

Wasting force cap to have MPs write speeding tickets instead of do their job as combat security.

Driving around in vehicles who no crew serve weapons and minimal equipment.

Perimeter fences with urban areas built up next to them (the whole river side of bastion) providing enemy with free movement.

After Frontnac's success it was only a matter of time till word got out and they tried something bold. Sacking these two generals was just the latest in our "look we did something about it" knee jerk leadership model.

• Upvote 1

After Frontnac's success it was only a matter of time till word got out and they tried something bold. Sacking these two generals was just the latest in our "look we did something about it" knee jerk leadership model.

Should have fired them sooner? Should prosecute them? What could they have done to avoid the appearance of that?

Not asking to be a douche, interested in what else they could have done since I'm coming up empty. As I often do.

One of my Bosses, 29 year Navy O, had the ADM as a CC a decade or so ago and doesn't buy any of this and thinks it's a conspiracy by.. someone, Obama?, to get rid of military leadership that doesn't agree with him.

The Deputy Commander of STRATCOM is on Obama's target list? If it were even true (doubtful), I'm sure even he could conure up a better plan than planting phony poker chips on the guy!

Plenty of GOs have done dumber things...

Should have fired them sooner? Should prosecute them? What could they have done to avoid the appearance of that?

Not asking to be a douche, interested in what else they could have done since I'm coming up empty. As I often do.

No they share blame so yeah fire the guys, I'm saying what has really changed to deter anybody from hitting us again in a similar way. We didn't do anything up near mustang ramp other than put in a few T walls, same as many of the other fobs I was on after the attack. That is hardly a refocus on security that you would expect after something like this happens. I'm not gonna go into detailed list of faults as Bad guys read the internet too, but for an example maybe it's time to put the guys writing speeding tickets on guard duty.

• Upvote 1