WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

Feel bad for the guy and his family. What a tragedy.

But of course my first question is how drunk/stupid do you have to be to respond to the police drawing their guns on you by pointing a black garden hose nozzel with no hose attached at them? Did he think they would find that funny?

Then again, that's just the police version of events.......

Anyone want to hear PYB's take on this?

Feel bad for the guy and his family. What a tragedy.

Then again, that's just the police version of events...

Yup. Who knows what really happened? I've seen enough now that my knee jerk reaction is no longer to trust the first version of events I hear given by the party most interested in self preservation.

• Upvote 1

Tragic, but an understandable and reasonable reaction by the police.

First, there was a 911 call of "a drunken man with a gun" by one of the neighbors.

Secondly, when police arrived, the individual responded with actions that appeared to be his pointing a weapon at the officers. In response, the officers shot first.

Police are trained to respond like that, it's called "action before reaction." He appeared to pose a threat and there is no legal requirement to issue a warning.

I understand their grief, but unfortunately the man's death was caused by a series of his own stupid actions and bad luck.

Put yourself in the police's position, how would you react?

It's a difficult situation, man; and none of us were there. All we have is a bunch of hearsay because no cop in his right mind is going to indict himself. There are a lot of variables we aren't privy to.

If I were this dude's brother, would I be upset that he was killed? Absolutely. If I were one of the police officer's kids, would I say they made the right move? Of course I would; because I would care more about my parent than I would care about some drunk guy.

I'm well aware of the fact that cops are conditioned to protect themselves, and conditioning, by definition, is mutually exclusive to judgment. So I don't necessarily blame them for their reaction, but it's not like we're not talking about South Central here either; it was Long Beach.

Realistically, my man, this whole situation has some pretty deep philosophical and political implications. I know where you're coming from, and I'm partially inclined to agree with you. The other half of me says that this is a litmus test that gives us a lot of information about where we're at in society these days. Either way, it sucks.

• Upvote 1

It's a difficult situation, man; and none of us were there. All we have is a bunch of hearsay because no cop in his right mind is going to indict himself. There are a lot of variables we aren't privy to.

If I were this dude's brother, would I be upset that he was killed? Absolutely. If I were one of the police officer's kids, would I say they made the right move? Of course I would; because I would care more about my parent than I would care about some drunk guy.

I'm well aware of the fact that cops are conditioned to protect themselves, and conditioning, by definition, is mutually exclusive to judgment. So I don't necessarily blame them for their reaction, but it's not like we're not talking about South Central here either; it was Long Beach.

Realistically, my man, this whole situation has some pretty deep philosophical and political implications. I know where you're coming from, and I'm partially inclined to agree with you. The other half of me says that this is a litmus test that gives us a lot of information about where we're at in society these days. Either way, it sucks.

This^

When I hear stories like this I just think about how the media F's up aviation stories. I know as much about cops and their training/procedures as the average cop knows about flying. It pisses me off to hear dumbass yocals and reporters giving all of their expertise on why/how an airplane crashed within minutes of an incident. Same thing here.....there is probably more to the story.

• Upvote 1

http://www.courthous...07/03/59061.htm

More abuse of power. M2, I know you like to assume the best about police but this kind of shit happens way to often man.

Nothing has been proven, that is only the claims of one side of the case and not a single one has been substantiated; but you're telling the police are automatically guilty? What ever happened to the judicial system of presumption of innocence? It goes both ways, my friend.

Plus, this is a civil suit, not a criminal one; so if this did happen then why wasn't there a criminal investigation into it? The burden of proof in civil court is much lower than in criminal court, and I am suspicious when files are charged in the former and not the latter. If a "crime" has taken place as claimed, then there should be appropriate charges filed; but often people make claims only in attempts of financial gain and not "justice" as claimed.

And sorry, but I don't believe "this kind of shit happens way to(o) often" no more than I believe that police officers are just looking for an opportunity to shoot someone as some claim. I know a lot of police officers at numerous levels, and even though a few are jerks I have yet to meet one that seriously had a desire to shoot another human being.

It's tantamount to calling those in the military "baby killers"...

So instead of reading such bullshit and believing it true, search on one Hood County sheriff's Sgt. Lance McLean, who was buried two days ago after being shot in the head Friday as he answered a disturbance call in a subdivision outside of Granbury that turned out to be a ambush. He was there to prevent his murderer from killing a girl he was accused of sexually assaulting last year, and was killed while intervening .

I am sure his wife and two special-needs children would love to hear how corrupt and abusive police officers are...

This is unbelievable and complete crap--and I don't care who is on trial. It's not justice to change the rules at the last minute. A defense prepares their case based off the charges the State brings at the beginning, not for other 'potential' charges that can be brought up at the last minute. Also, who's to say that a defedant would keep his same 'not guilty' plea if he new he was being tried for a lesser charge? If you want to charge him with something else (ie if there's a hung jury) then go for it, but start a new trial with the new charge.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_NEIGHBORHOOD_WATCH?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-07-11-10-13-00

• Upvote 2

This is unbelievable and complete crap--and I don't care who is on trial. It's not justice to change the rules at the last minute. A defense prepares their case based off the charges the State brings at the beginning, not for other 'potential' charges that can be brought up at the last minute. Also, who's to say that a defedant would keep his same 'not guilty' plea if he new he was being tried for a lesser charge? If you want to charge him with something else (ie if there's a hung jury) then go for it, but start a new trial with the new charge.

http://hosted.ap.org...-07--10-13-00

Florida state law dictates that manslaughter is a lesser included charge to murder 2... It is pretty standard practice in florida. Zimmerman's lawyers should have already known this (and likely did). So, if the lawyer was worth his salt, he would have already been defending based on this possibility (and likely was).

Florida state law dictates that manslaughter is a lesser included charge to murder 2... It is pretty standard practice in florida. Zimmerman's lawyers should have already known this (and likely did). So, if the lawyer was worth his salt, he would have already been defending based on this possibility (and likely was).

I think what he's saying is the inclusion of Murder 3 with negligent child abuse thrown in at the end of the trial is leaving a bunch of us scratching our heads.

I think what he's saying is the inclusion of Murder 3 with negligent child abuse thrown in at the end of the trial is leaving a bunch of us scratching our heads.

No what I think he is saying (and I agree with) is the state takes the evidence it has and chooses what charge that crime fits. Then they must charge and subsequently prove in court those charges, if they want to end it early or don't think they can win, they can always offer plea bargains to lesser charges. However this idea that they can just start throwing in lesser charges for the jury to consider at closing arguments because they failed to make their original charge is asinine.

In other semi-related news:

http://www.thestate.com/2013/07/10/2856356/sc-supreme-court-stops-murder.html

S.C. Supreme Court stops murder trial to see if home intruder can use "stand your ground" as grounds for killing homeowner. :pissed:

Edited by Fuzz
  • Upvote 1

http://www.thestate....ops-murder.html

S.C. Supreme Court stops murder trial to see if home intruder can use "stand your ground" as grounds for killing homeowner. :pissed:

This is about as WTF as it gets. But then again, could it be a ploy to get a conviction for murder while committing a felony? By claiming "stand your ground" he has essentially admitted to killing the homeowner in the process of committing a felony...armed at that. It would APPEAR the state may be setting up the perfect confession.

I'm not a SC Justice (I just studied SC Justiceology for one semester in college) but, I would say "stand your ground" doesn't apply when you are committing a crime. If that's the case, any criminal being chased by the cops who subsequently kills a cop can just claim that he thought his life was in danger...

Nothing surprises me anymore...