WTF? (**NSFW**)

slacker

Holy shit! I may think twice next time I want to play Call of Duty......nahhhh.

Video gamer hunts down, stabs man who killed his online 'Counter-Strike' character

By Michael Sheridan

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Thursday, May 27th 2010, 11:55 AM

Watch out who you kill in the virtual world, it may inspire someone to attack you in the real one.

That's what happened to one Frenchman, who was stabbed and nearly killed by a fellow "Counter-Strike" player, according to London's Telegraph.

Julien Barreaux reportedly spent six months looking for the person who killed his online character in a virtual knife fight, and eventually found the foe living only a few miles away in Cambrai, a town about 2 hours north of Paris.

The 20-year-old, armed with a real-life kitchen knife, went to the man's house and brutally stabbed him in the chest. The victim, identified only as Mikhael, survived the assault after the blade missed his heart by less than an inch.

"Barreaux was arrested within the hour and told us he had wanted to see his rival wiped out for killing off his character," a police officer testified at the trial, the Telegraph reported.

The overzealous video gamer will spend two years behind bars, and receive anger management therapy.

"You are a menace to society," Judge Alexiane Potel said. "I am frankly terrified of the disproportionate reaction you could have if someone looked at you the wrong way in the street."

Source

The complete lack of qualifications to be an "expert panelist" on Fox News, CNN, and MSNBC no longer surprises me. Some of the sh!t that these guys manage to come up with during on-air debates is beyond comical. The lastest comes from former WWE star, NFL flunkie, and CEO/Owner of Network Nutrition John Layfield. Layfield caused a national uproar in Germany and near riots at a WWE show in Munich in 2004 by using the Nazi salute as part of his character act.

I about choked on my coffee this morning as he states that we should move Ft Bragg and Ft Hood to Tombstone, AZ so those soldiers can patrol the borders during their time off between these wars they're fighting. Seriously didn't know we had a lot of time off and nothing else to do when we're not deployed or fighting a war. Someone tell me where this military branch is at because I wanna join it.

TV news networks, go to hell :flipoff: I feel like I'm getting better quality now days reading the Drudge Report or The Onion.

Police officer's visual estimate of speed is enough for a conviction, Ohio Supreme Court rules

If a police officer says he saw you speeding, then you were speeding. The Ohio Supreme Court today ruled 5-1 that a police officer's visual estimate of speed is enough to convict a motorist of speeding...

Officers in Ohio recently mistook a dead body on the side of the road for a deer, dragging out the search for the missing person, and now we're to trust that they know whether you are going 65 or 60? What next?

• Downvote 1

What a bunch of bullshit. I don't care how well you're "trained" to judge speed, there's no way you're accurate enough to give a ticket. If someone is doing 30 over, yeah you'll be able to notice that, but it's just a ballpark. Are you going to give me a ticket for 10 over, 15 over, 20 over? Seriously, how can a cop truly see a difference.

Attention Airmen:

The CJCS is probably not the person to bitch to when the base education office denies your TA application for your underwater basket weaving class. I know he opened the floor for questions, but seriously, WTF?

Who would sign up for this???

Volunteers begin Mars500 isolation

Page last updated at 9:57 GMT, Thursday, 3 June 2010 10:57 UK

E-mail this to a friendPrintable version By Jonathan Amos

Science correspondent, BBC News

AdvertisementThe door shuts on the six astronauts for the next 520 days

Six would-be cosmonauts have entered a sealed facility where they will spend 18 months with no windows and only e-mail contact with the outside world.

The men are taking part in the Mars500 project, which aims to simulate a mission to Mars.

They entered the craft, located at a medical institute in Moscow, just before 1100 BST on Thursday.

Scientists say the study will help them understand how humans would cope on a long journey to another world.

During a press conference on Thursday morning, the six men - three Russians, two Europeans and a Chinese man - all described what motivated them to take part in the experiment.

Twenty-six year old Wang Yue from China, the youngest of the volunteers, said he was excited to be involved in a project that he felt would be "excellent for science and for all of humankind".

French volunteer Romain Charles acknowledged that it would be a "difficult" mission and said that he would miss his family and "the Sun and fresh air".

Space on Earth

The project has been designed to be as realistic as possible even though some elements - such as the weightless conditions of spaceflight - cannot be recreated here on Earth.

"They will have to cope with limited consumables, for example," said Dr Martin Zell from the European Space Agency, a key partner in the project.

Continue reading the main story

When the very first human steps on Mars, I will be able to say, 'yeah, I helped do that'

Diego Urbina

European Mars500 participant

"That means everything will be onboard at the start. There will be no re-load, re-supply whatsoever. It will be like a real mission."

The craft is based at Moscow's Institute of Biomedical Problems and comprises a series of interconnected steel canisters. The total interior volume is about 550 cubic metres.

Four of the tubes provide the living and working environment on the "journey" to and from Mars. Their interior has been decorated with wood panelling to give the cylinders a more homely feel.

A fifth module is a mock-up of the Red Planet itself, an enclosed room with a floor covered in rocks and sand.

THE LAYOUT OF THE MARS500 'SPACESHIP'

MEDICAL MODULE: The 12m-long cylinder acts as the laboratory. Should a crewmember become ill, he can be isolated and treated here

HABITABLE MODULE: The main living quarters. The 20m-long module has beds, a galley, a social area. It also acts as the main control room

LANDING MODULE: This will only be used during the 30-day landing operation. There is room only for the three crewmembers who will visit the "surface"

STORAGE MODULE: The 24m-long module is divided into four compartments, to store food and other supplies, to house a greenhouse, a gym a refrigeration unit

SURFACE MODULE: To walk across the soil and rocks of Mars, crewmembers must put on Orlan spacesuits and pass through an airlock

About half-way through the mission, three of the crew will have to "land" on this "surface" and walk about on it while dressed in heavy space suits.

The "cosmonauts" will be commanded by 38-year-old marine engineer and astronaut trainer Alexey Sitev, who has only recently been married.

His compatriots - Sukhrob Kamolov (32) and Alexander Smoleevskiy (33) - have medical backgrounds. The two Europeans in the group - Diego Urbina (27) and Romain Charles (31) - are engineers by training. Wang Yue has a "day job" training Chinese astronauts.

Near a hundred experiments will be performed during the "journey" Colombian-Italian Diego Urbina said his motivation came from his desire to work in space research.

"I'm also very interested in being a part of the story of getting humans to Mars," he told BBC News. "When the very first human steps on Mars, I will be able to say, 'yeah, I helped do that'. That will make me feel very proud."

Scientific investigations during the experiment will assess the effect that isolation has on various psychological and physiological aspects such as stress, hormone levels, sleep quality, mood and the benefits of dietary supplements.

Dr Berna van Baarsen, from the Free University Medical Center, Amsterdam, Holland, is a principal investigator on Mars500.

"We expect Mars500 to have Earth applications, in understanding group dynamics connected to isolation and loneliness, for example," she said.

"I hope it will also help us understand better some groups, such as those elderly people who are isolated in their homes. It should tell us about coping behaviours."

The experiment even simulates surface operations at the Red Planet The spaceship itself will come under scrutiny, also, as the crew monitor their surroundings to see which types of bacteria take hold and thrive in the enclosed space.

All of the results of these investigations will have to be emailed to "mission control" as the organisers of the project intend to introduce a 20-minute, one-way time-delay in communications to mirror the real lag in sending messages over the vast distance between Mars and Earth.

"Everything will be done in a telemedicine environment, where the crew has to do the analysis and we receive the data by telemetry," said Dr Zell, who heads up Europe's space station utilisation programme.

This 520-day mock mission with its 30 days of "surface operations" is the final phase of the three-part Mars500 project.

Look around the spacecraft that will be the crew's home for almost 18 months

There have already been two smaller studies, one lasting 14 days and another taking 105 days to complete.

Space agencies describe Mars as the "ultimate destination" for human explorers. However, they do not possess the technology to complete such an endeavour and are unlikely have it for many years yet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10197470.stm

Attention Airmen:

The CJCS is probably not the person to bitch to when the base education office denies your TA application for your underwater basket weaving class. I know he opened the floor for questions, but seriously, WTF?

I thought that was classic. I was laughing my ass off as soon as she started talking... There's a reason you're driving a bus, stick with that.

Inside joke...?

CJCS visited CHS yesterday. Base theater is packed. He talks for a few minutes then asked if anyone had any questions. ROE was we were to ask anything we wanted. Some legit questions were asked then a young REMF Lt whined about not having BK in Kandahar. Then a SSgt asked why "they" denied her claim for TA, which resulted in her having to pay $500 for the class, yada yada yada. ADM Mullen asked her who "they" were? Her reply was (insert attitude) "The Charleston AFB education center" immediately you could hear the sighs and gasps in the crowd. Absolutely hilarious.

Edit: To add that the SSgt is in the Trans Squadron.

Edited by itsokimapilot

Funny since it sounds so plausible in today's Air Force....

A super-secret source tipped the Rumor Doctor to what looks like an official Air Force message authorizing the wearing of a “hip or waist bag,” also known as a fanny pack.

“Only solid-color black hip or waist bags may be worn with blue uniform combinations; solid-color black olive drab or woodland camouflage are the only colors authorized” with the Battle Dress Uniform, according to the message spotted on Facebook. “Conservative manufacture logo is allowed. No ornamentation or design, nothing dangling.”

The Rumor Doctor doesn’t know much about fashion, so the (Google) search was on to find an expert to explain all things fanny pack.

As it turns out, they are more about function than fashion, said Ericka Chloe, of My Image Expert, a fashion and consulting firm in New York.

She sees possibilities for the modern airman. Rather than putting on a big backpack, fanny packs would allow servicemembers to store low-maintenance items that might otherwise fall out of their pockets.

“It’s a very rugged, outdoor kind of look,” she said. “You’ve got the fatigues color, the camouflage, the boots and they actually make fanny packs out of leather so they are a little more durable.”

They can be worn in lieu of a belt, and she suggested wearing them backward so the pack rests ruggedly over a back pocket.

The Air Force, however, does not see the utility of fanny packs.

“There is no guidance regarding the wear of fanny packs in uniform,” said Air Force spokesman 1st Lt. Derek White via e-mail. “Please refer to AFI 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance of Air Force Personnel for current guidance.”

The Rumor Doctor’s Diagnosis: The message is fake. No fanny packs allowed.

However, the Doc has heard there is video out there of airmen displaying proper placement and wear of the fanny pack.

Link

At least 2 forms of ID and 3 copies of your orders. And your inhaler

Nice. I always like the ,"yeah sorry my card's not in DBIDs yet b/c it's new." "Sir, can I see a 2nd form of ID." So I give him my flightline badge..."Sir, do you have a civilian drivers license?" Really, my mil ID and a flightline badge that gets me well past where most people on base can go does not get me on base, but my state drivers license does? Moral of the story, have at least 4 IDs on you at all times.

• 2 weeks later...

They can be worn in lieu of a belt, and she suggested wearing them backward so the pack rests ruggedly over a back pocket.

Wait, what?

Maybe this belongs in the B1 cancellation thread, but I thought it warranted a "WTF?"

DARPA Grant for Underwater Aircraft

And the details (for you detail weenies):

PDF Description

FM

(Edit: I meant to say "Submersible" aircraft - sorry)

Why does this stupid idea keep resurfacing (no pun intended)? Convair had a design for a "Flying Sub"on the drawing boards back in the 1950s

image001.gif

Edited by bucky60k